Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominate Our February Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Post your nominations here for the February group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading a selection set in Afghanistan, a world mystery, and a book relating to migration from India.

Afghanistan*:
Nominate a book set in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan List: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Afghanistan Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

World Mystery
Nominate a mystery novel set in Scandinavia.

Migration
Nominate a book relating to migration from India to another part of the world.

Women in Translation
Nominate a translated book from an author from Central or South America.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previously Read Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month it is Afghanistan): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author of at least 1 year, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1349 comments A Scandinavian mystery novel? That's rather like shooting fish in a barrel! It looks like the only options out of play are Peter Hoeg's Smilla's Sense of Snow and Leena Lehtolainen's My First Murder.

I've generally thought of Scandinavian mysteries as being rather dark, so I don't have much background. I'm curious what folks will propose. The Glass Key Award is an annual award given to mystery authors from the Nordic countries, and has several options.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments @Diane, Scandinavia means Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Right?

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 424 comments For women in translation I'd like to nominate anything by Laura Restrepo, possibly Isle of Passion or No Place for Heroes

message 5: by Carmen (last edited Jan 20, 2020 04:03AM) (new)

Carmen | 1298 comments My nominations:

Afghanistan: The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi

For mystery novel set in Scandinavia: The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

For migration: Jasmine by Bharati Mukherjee

And for women in translation, Delirium by Laura Restrepo

message 6: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Carol wrote: "@Diane, Scandinavia means Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Right?"

Also Finland and Iceland

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments Diane wrote: "Carol wrote: "@Diane, Scandinavia means Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Right?"

Also Finland and Iceland"

Okay, so we’re talking Nordic. Cool.

message 8: by Missy J (new)

Missy J (missyj333) | 208 comments For Afghanistan, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments For Afghanistan, I nominate Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. (I'd be delighted to read The Patience Stone, but wanted to see if I could find something with a pre-1970 view of Afghanistan.)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments For World Mystery, I nominate Snare by Icelandic author, Lilja Sigurðardóttir. It's the first in her Reykjavík Noir Trilogy, and translated by fellow mystery author Quentin Bates.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments For migration, I nominate 2 books.

Belonging by Uma Sinha, and

Mirages of the Mind by Mushtaq Ahmad Yousufi

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1016 comments For women in translation: A Crack in the Wall by Claudia Piñeiro. Argentina. Bitter Lemon Press.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

For Afghanistan, I nominate Earth and Ashes.

For World Mystery / Nordic: The Torso.

For Migration from India: The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.

For Women in Translation set in Central or South America: Poso Wells.

message 14: by Tara (last edited Jan 23, 2020 11:08AM) (new)

Tara | 1 comments Afghanistan: The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

message 15: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1349 comments Assuming that Faroese literature will also count for Scandinavia, there is at least one Faroese mystery translated into English that seems interesting: Walpurgis Tide by Jógvan Isaksen

message 16: by Arpit (new)

Arpit (arpitjoshi) | 125 comments For 'migration from India' I recommend Interpreter of Maladies , Unaccustomed Earth both by Jhumpa Lahiri

message 17: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "Assuming that Faroese literature will also count for Scandinavia, there is at least one Faroese mystery translated into English that seems interesting: Walpurgis Tide by [author:Jóg..."

Faroese literature does count, so that definitely works.

message 18: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Nominations are closed.