Play Book Tag discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
January 2020: Thriller > The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8514 comments Finally finished this for the second time, three years later! In this installation, there is a 9 year old curly haired monster who is actually my best reader of the three. Frustrated that we cannot move onto Harry Potter 2, Chamber of Secrets, he comes home from the school library with this. Now its Percy Jackson, all the time. Great story to read with a kid. great fun. For my personal challenges, its a January Thriller, and it fits the Broadway State Tag for New York. Now just excited to plow through some other books left close to finished. Not my most scholarly nor erudite read, but lovely all the same to have the privilege to read with your nine year old and have him discover new worlds. And new world through books. Now that is epic an heroic!

Previous Review:

Finally - this tale came to its heroic and epic end! Possibly heroic and epic because my 14 year old and I actually managed to finish it. I think this is the kind of book that would have been better read in a sitting or two, rather than over a five to six month period. Its harder to keep the facts and motivations straight. That said, were we both moved when Percy's Dad owns him as a son and says he is proud, and that "you are mine!" Are we both moved and frustrated by this extremely passive mother? Yes, indeed! Mostly, am I moved that he said he liked it? Yes, indeed.

In my attempts to get my 14 year old to read and enjoy books, here is where we are at: He is reading To Kill a Mockingbird for school, and he says its great. I hope he is understanding it. I too think its great, and am loving my re-read of this. I got him The Crossover from the library, and my hope is that he will enjoy this read and its sequel. I am also hoping that when Beartown comes out, that it will grab his fancy. I know already it will grab mine. But in terms of together reads, we will put off the Sea of Monsters for now - and move onto Harry Potter 6. If I have my way, we will finish this before he leaves for Camp on June 26th. Hell or high water, watch me go!

Now the book itself. Percy Jackson and The Olympians is a pre-teen classic. It is one of those series that kids in elementary and middle school devour. They relate to Percy, and unwitting half god. These themes seem pre-adolescent to me. Will I be any good? Will I mean something? Will I fail in my attempts? What if I'm just a kid after all, a mere mortal, and I amount to nothing? Is there an upside to ADHD? Why are all the adults fighting? Why can no one see clearly, and take care of business? Who am I, what does my future hold, and will I be able to fulfill its destiny, or die trying... Plus some of it is pretty cool. Percy has to come to grips with who he is, fight off demons at every turn, figure out things well beyond his years, and figure out who his true friends and allies are and who and what he stands for. All in 375 pages. As a pre teen book, I say a ok. But still, nothing compares to Harry Potter. Not even in the world of the Gods.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7455 comments Love your review~must be great to look back and see how far your eldest has come!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8514 comments You’re telling me! It’s the theme of the moment, every hour of every day!