sustainabooks discussion

sustainabooks member's backgrounds

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Ryan (ryancwing) | 10 comments Mod
i'm interested to know where everybody is coming from. i've looked at most of your pages and see we have a wide variety of people from all over the world already and that's awesome! so im curious why each of you found and joined this lil group. are you students? do you work for the sustainable cause? are you involved in projects wherever you live? none of the above, you just value the idea of your world not being destroyed? you understand. here's my story:

i grew up in the kansas and nebraska and moved to the bay area in california and seattle, wa after high school. i went to school for and then later worked as a music recording engineer. while living in california and seattle, if you pay any attention to the world around you, it's hard not to notice the many challenges society faces, especially sustainability-wise. my interest grew until i decided to give up the audio gig and go back to school to work for some piece of sustainability solution. so i am now a student at the university of kansas (rock chalk jayhawk, go ku!) majoring in economics & international studies with a minor in environmental studies. my interests lie primarily with social aspect, educating and motivating others about the changes that must be made, and poverty reduction.

i look forward to hearing about/from all of you (hopefully). also, if anyone else has any new topics for us to discuss.. post away!

message 2: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Meredith (mereditas) | 1 comments What you are studying sounds very similar to my course of study in college. I designed my own major, Sustainable Development, and it was a mix of development economics, environmental economics, sociology, environmental studies, some biology, etc. I've added one book to this group, I have at least several more very relevant books that I will add.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (gogettergirl) | 1 comments Just joined the group and I must say I have been out of the loop for a while on these and many issues. However, I am beginning to see the urgency in making changes in an effort to maintain and create greater sustainability.

I am currently a college student who will be attending Portland State Uni in a new Social Work program next year. I'm with you on the poverty reduction! I've joined this group in an effort to shed some light on how everyday people believe we can make the world a better place (didn't really notice that there are few posts!) I also joined to connect, in some insignificant way with others who share common ideas/beliefs.

:)

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryancwing) | 10 comments Mod
awesome! thanks for joining us tina. hope we can contribute or collaborate some ideas that might make the world a little better. your program sounds really interesting. hows the great pacific northwest? still cloudy/rainy? ;)

Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan (leftoftwilight) I also just joined this group.

I grew up on Vashon Island in Washington, and have always loved being outside in the forest the best. I am 18 years old and after hitchhiking around a bit have settled temporally in Seattle.

I self-educate myself and have all my life. This group interests me now because I am am both frustrated at the current way civilized culture is treating the earth and ready to actively do whatever I can to make things a bit better.

Right now I am starting a project to interview the punk anarchist do it yourself sub-culture in Seattle and maybe beyond. I want to ask the youth and adults what they are thinking about civilization and sustainability.
I also do various other forms of direct action and activism.

Besides all that it is winter, and I love to read! The bookshelf for this group looks really awesome and I'm excited to become a part of it.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenStCyr) | 2 comments Another Seattlite here, joining to see what great books other folks are reading to further their knowledge and/or advocacy of sustainability and conservation.
From a personal standpoint, I am very interested in promoting urban communities, eco-friendly density, and somehow reducing the focus and dependency on car-centric culture.
My favorite book on the subject is Jane Jacobs' Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Thanks everyone for creating and participating in such a wonderful group!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (skylightmeg) | 6 comments To add to the group of Pacific Northwesterners, I also lived in Portland for a long time while I was growing up. But now my family is in Missouri and I've been in Chicago for 7 years, first for my BA and now for an MA, both at the University of Chicago. I currently do a mixture of religious studies, cultural studies, history, and anthropology, and I'm also interested in ethics, particularly environmental ethics.

I do things like work with the Sustainability Council on my campus, and last year was also involved with a group focusing on religion and the environment, and thinking about sustainability from different faith-based perspectives. Currently I also am involved with the Green Party here in Chicago, and trying to bring a more complete vision of environmental justice into local government.

I'm really interested in how issues of democracy and the environment overlap. Lots of the environmental destruction that occurs does so because the people who are effected by it don't have any say in what's happening around them - for instance, when companies install new factories or plants in neighborhoods and then massively pollute. Why didn't that community have the right beforehand to say whether or not they wanted the factory, and the right to dictate the terms on which it could be there?
Another example might be the refusal of Bush to ratify the Kyoto protocol, despite a majority of citizens favoring it. Environmental justice tends to fall by the wayside when the political will of officials in government, or members of a corporate elite, get to override the political will of other citizens.

One thing I think we should start up is maybe a discussion of successful changes, organizations, events, etc., that people have participated in that have helped lead to sustainability. I'm sure you all are doing good work, and would like to hear about it.

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1 comments I just added many books to the bookshelf. I've read them all and get more sad and afraid with each book. I'm in my late 50s and so have enjoyed these last 50 years of the petroleum age and have large guilt about the world I'm leaving my children. I have 25 or so productive years left but don't know how best to use them to prevent disaster. So I'm researching this topic and that's why I'm in this group.

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseahashope) | 3 comments Elizabeth,

Don't despair! And remember that you didn't know about these things in your first 50 years! The exciting and important part is that you know about them NOW and are making REAL changes in your life as well as sharing your hope for a possible future with other people. Honestly I feel like so many people interested in sustainability right now are coming from the EXACT same place in life- where we didn't know a thing about this until we finally took that step to start researching sometime small like, recycling for example, and it spearheaded into so much more. It started for me when my friend sent me a link to www.thestoryofstuff.com just months ago. I'm 23 and I JUST STARTED recycling in the house i've lived in for around a year. I just started bringing my own bags to the grocery store. I've only been car-free for 8 months (that decision was for financial reasons not sustainability reasons) and only NOW am I PROUD of it because of the impact that makes on the world.

Anyway, just know that there are a ton of us in your boat- recent discoverers who are horrified at how little it is that the people of our world know about what we are doing to it. Personally I feel angry and hurt that nobody really taught me this stuff when I was a child. It is going to take a radical change to right the wrongs and disaster probably WILL happen... more than once. The part about it that lightens my heart, though, is that you KNOW and you are making your move... What an attractive move it is and other people will notice and follow along. You aren't alone! Keep up the good work and do it with joy because you are finally making a difference for the better, not the worse!
-Chelsea

message 10: by P_Racemosa (new)

P_Racemosa (Tzu-Jan) | 1 comments I am from all around the west coast...I was raised in the Coyote Valley south of San Jose.

I studied sustainable technologies at the Evergreen State College.

I love the earth like my life depends on it..that's why I am here.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have environmental illness also called Chemical Injury (CI). There are 50 doctors treating this now in the US and a big clinic at Dallas. There are numerous groups on yahoo to help canaries as we are called. A beginner group is called The Green Canary. I followed a new writer here as she has written a book about the area where I got sick.

message 12: by Diane (last edited Feb 16, 2012 05:59AM) (new)

Diane Castle (DianeCastle) | 4 comments Hey--I'm a new member. I have enjoyed reading all of your backgrounds. I'm particularly interested in Megan's comments about how democracy and the environment overlap. I think that's a really good point that most people tend to not consider. For the first time in history, it seems like environmental issues have become partisan issues. We have politicians on the right whose goal is to completely dismantle the EPA. Why? Because their campaigns are funded by polluters.

I believe that enacting environmental change starts with the voting process. We need campaign finance reform. Unfortunately, after the recent Citizens United Supreme Court ruling about Super PACs, we're facing an uphill battle.

On another note, I find it very interesting that BP had its most profitable year in company history in 2011, only one year after the most catastrophic oil spill our country has ever known. To me, that is very telling--on a number of levels.

Alice--I was so happy to connect with you on another thread. I talked to the folks over at the Environmental Center in Dallas the other day. That seems like a really great place, if you're in the area.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Diane, thanks for adding me on as your friend. I have friends who have gone to the Environmental Center in Dallas and I have read his books but cannot afford to go there. The very inexpensive EI doctor I found to treat me told me I am too sick to go there anyway. She said they mainly use sauna and I would be unable to tolerate that. I do buy my oxygen tubing from the EI center and a few others things but I mainly use NEEDS.com. the EI center has a ceramic mask and tygon tubing in case you ever need it. Hope you do not.
I worked for the EPA in 1973, it was a joke. I was so disappointed. They killed a friend of mine's brother with their toxic carpet glue. Really! its pitiful to think how bad they are. Government agencies are the worst for poisoning people. Why is that?

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (DianeCastle) | 4 comments Wow, that's cool that you worked for the EPA--although, how awful about your friend! Why am I not surprised?

Yeah, the Environmental Health center was too expensive for me, too. And saunas are available everywhere, anyway. Glad you found a good doctor!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 16, 2012 02:01PM) (new)

Yes, she wrote some good books which are helpful for us. Dr. Krohn required her patients to read Dr. Sherry Rogers book: Tired or Toxic. I finally purchased my own copy of it. Dr. Krohn's detox book tells methods to get specific toxins out of your body. What herbs to use or what supplement. I take lots of milk thistle which is very helpful for me.

The Whole Way to Natural Detoxification: Clearing Your Body of Toxins

Tired Or Toxic?: A Blueprint For Health

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (DianeCastle) | 4 comments Oh, good! Thanks for the link! I have heard Milk Thistle is really great. Glad you are finding something that helps!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane wrote: "Oh, good! Thanks for the link! I have heard Milk Thistle is really great. Glad you are finding something that helps!"

Oh, I have found many things that help by reading and often by reading at prohealth.com and I made a Listopia for this. I will send you an invite for it.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (DianeCastle) | 4 comments Super! Thanks!!