Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Nominations for our March 2020 book

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1474 comments Mod
Let's try a book chosen by the group to read in March 2020.

Nominations will be accepted for 4 days or until we have 6 books nominated, whichever comes first. One nomination per person.

I want to leave this first group selection mostly open, but since our first two books of the year have been action-oriented, nonfiction (including memoir) or serious fiction (meaning literary or classic rather than popular) would be a good counterpoint. Just a suggestion.

You can check the group Bookshelf to see if a book has already been read.

Nominations by authors or their friends or agents not accepted.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 31 comments Hi Jan, before I nominate something for March, I can’t seem to find the February selection. What are we reading for next month?

message 3: by Hermien (new)

Hermien (hermienbouman) | 18 comments How about:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker
The Dovekeepers or The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman.
Three Weeks in October by Yael Dayan
When Heroes Fly by Amir Gutfreund
Any books by A.B. Yehoshua

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan This is new to me. I’ve been lurking now and then. How do I find the group bookshelf? Thanks!

message 5: by debra (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Waking Lions by ayelet gundar-goshen
(as you asked for only one....)

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments I would like to nominate "The Weight of Ink" By Rachel Kadish.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Melissa wrote: "Hi Jan, before I nominate something for March, I can’t seem to find the February selection. What are we reading for next month?"

Melissa, it's Matti Friedman's Spies of No Country: Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel. If you go to the group home page, you'll see the "currently reading" at the top. To the right of that is the book that's next up.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Hermien wrote: "How about:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker
The Dovekeepers or The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman.
Three Weeks in October by Yael Dayan
When Heroes Fly by Amir Gutfreund
Any books by ..."

Thanks, Hermien.
It's one nomination per person, though. I'll take the top one from your list, The Golem and the Jinni, as your nomination -- unless you can send another choice right away. The group hasn't read that one.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Susan wrote: "This is new to me. I’ve been lurking now and then. How do I find the group bookshelf? Thanks!"

I'm going to tell you how to find it on a desktop. If you are on the home page or on any discussion, it's in the upper right-hand corner.

Would that be the same on a laptop? I can't tell you how to find it from a phone or tablet, though. Instead of trying to figure that out, I just get back to the desktop.

If somebody else wants to add to my reply to Susan's question, please chime in.

message 10: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "Waking Lions by ayelet gundar-goshen
(as you asked for only one....)"

Okay, thanks, Debra. Waking Lions is the 2nd nomination after The Golem and the Jinni (or whichever other Hermien prefers from his list).

message 11: by Jan (new)

Pamela wrote: "I would like to nominate "The Weight of Ink" By Rachel Kadish."

Thank you, Pamela. However, The Weight of Ink was the book for March of last year. Please make another nomination.

message 12: by Jan (new)

Susan wrote: "This is new to me. I’ve been lurking now and then. How do I find the group bookshelf? Thanks!"

Attempt to communicate No. 2: ....and you then click on "bookshelf." 😁

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Thank you. I will use my laptop.

message 14: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 20 comments I'd like to nominate "The Meaning of Hitler", by Sebastian Haffner. This book is an absolute MUST-READ.

Here is the link to the the book on the Amazon webpage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...

The link to the book on Goodreads does not always work. Might get you to a Harry Potter book. But you can try. Here is the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 15: by Emma McCaul (new)

Emma McCaul  (emma90) | 1 comments I would like to nominat, "Towards a Meaningful Life", by Simon Jacobson. 

Emma.

message 16: by Roger (new)

Roger Swindells I would like to nominate Mendelevskis Box (Historical fiction set in late 1945)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mendel...

(but then I am a little biased!)

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 178 comments I would like to nominate the Huntress.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Lilo wrote: "I'd like to nominate "The Meaning of Hitler", by Sebastian Haffner. This book is an absolute MUST-READ.

Here is the link to the the book on the Amazon webpage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0..."

Thanks. That's No. 3.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Emma McCaul wrote: "I would like to nominat, "Towards a Meaningful Life", by Simon Jacobson. 

Emma."

Thanks, Emma; the 4th nomination.

message 20: by Jan (new)

Roger wrote: "I would like to nominate Mendelevskis Box (Historical fiction set in late 1945)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mendel......"

Roger, nominations from authors aren't accepted.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I would like to nominate the Huntress."

The Huntress is our 5th nomination.

message 22: by Stacey B (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:51AM) (new)

Stacey B | 921 comments Mod
FROM YOUR MODERATORS:
As you know, we are working hard to enhance and update the JBC group; and for the first time we are taking nominations for what "you" want to read.
We simply ask that you please read carefully the criteria set for nominations.
This is not the place for authors to announce or promote their books or to take advantage in doing so during this process.
We have added a dedicated place for that.
There have been wonderful and different books nominated so far.
Please...keep them coming.
We know with your help and smarts, this group will succeed quickly.
Thank you for your time.

message 23: by Roger (new)

Roger Swindells Stacey wrote: "FROM YOUR MODERATORS:
As you know, we are working hard to enhance and update the JBC group; and for the first time we are taking nominations for what "you" want to read.
We simply ask that you ple..."

Jan wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I would like to nominate the Huntress."

The Huntress is our 5th nomination."

Stacey wrote: "FROM YOUR MODERATORS:

Stacey wrote: "FROM YOUR MODERATORS:

Jan wrote: "Roger wrote: "I would like to nominate Mendelevskis Box (Historical fiction set in late 1945)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mendele..."

My apologies, I have already posted details in the right place but so far it appears no one has read it! I don't know what other authors are experiencing with that page, lots of announcements but how many are read?

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 34 comments I also nominate Waking Lions. I hear it's fantastic.

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments I would like to nominate "A Marriage of Opposites" by Alice Hoffman

message 26: by Pamela (last edited Jan 20, 2020 12:27PM) (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments Jan wrote: "Pamela wrote: "I would like to nominate "The Weight of Ink" By Rachel Kadish."

Thank you, Pamela. However, The Weight of Ink was the book for March of last year. Please make another nomination."

Oops, sorry ! How about "A Marriage of Opposites" by Alice Hoffman?

message 27: by Jan (new)

Roger wrote: "...My apologies, I have already posted details in the right place but so far it appears no one has read it! I don't know what other authors are experiencing with that page, lots of announcements but how many are read?"

Roger, please PM, and I'll reply later this afternoon.

message 28: by Jan (new)

Alan wrote: "I also nominate Waking Lions. I hear it's fantastic."

Thanks, Alan. I think that translates to that's the nomination you'll vote for!

message 29: by Jan (new)

Pamela wrote: "I would like to nominate "A Marriage of Opposites" by Alice Hoffman"

All right! The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman is Nomination No. 6!

message 30: by Jan (new)

I requested six nominations, and now we have them, meaning that I'll close this thread, cutting off further nominations for our March book.

Thanks to everybody who found this particular discussion thread and to those who made a nomination. I am sorry I forgot to include the link to it in my announcement, which made some of you think you were supposed to respond to the group message and complicated the process.

I didn't know what would happen when the request for nominations went out. Maybe four days would pass and no one at all would respond? That was so off the mark; it's been less than a day and we have our six nominations!

Already I have intimations about how this process may need to be tweaked. We'll see. If you'd like to talk about it, let's do that on the Feedback discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The next step is to set up a poll. I'll model on some other groups as to how long it should run. Hopefully it'll work. That possibility will be enhanced by a little downtime now....

One more thing. Once all the old books we've read have been consolidated into folders by year, it will be easier to navigate the site and find stuff. 2015 and 2016 have already been done, so that's 24 fewer book discussions free-floating around. The discussion threads on previously-read books will remain open for comments by later readers and others. Other old stray discussions will also be bundled up where they best fit and will not be deleted.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.