Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

American English for Arabic Speakers: A Guide to Pronunciation (American English Pronunciation Guides Book 1)
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Book Issue

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Tharpe | 6 comments This ebook no longer exists. It was taken down from Amazon and replaced with an updated version that has a new title and ASIN #.
Can we remove it from goodreads?
Thanks.

message 2: by Emily (last edited Jan 19, 2020 10:25AM) (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Goodreads does not delete books. The newer edition can be set as the default that shows in your profile and in searches from the edit function.

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Tharpe | 6 comments Can I remove the cover photo of the now-unpublished book, so people don't get confused or spend time trying to purchase it?

message 4: by Michael (last edited Jan 19, 2020 03:26PM) (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 193 comments Peggy wrote: "Can I remove the cover photo of the now-unpublished book, so people don't get confused or spend time trying to purchase it?"

No. Not according to GR rules. Do not touch historical entries (if they have been correct).

message 5: by Emily (last edited Jan 19, 2020 03:32PM) (new)

Emily | 13538 comments You can include a note in the description pointing readers to the correct edition.
Here is how to set the new edition as the default.
https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 6: by Peggy (last edited Jan 19, 2020 03:51PM) (new)

Peggy Tharpe | 6 comments thanks. I've got to keep asking about this so I can understand how goodreads works.
The first book, the now-unpublished one, and the new book, the published one, are essentially the same book with a few tweaks (to me, the author). But since they don't have the same title or ASIN, they will never be 'editions' of the same book. Is that right?
Therefore, using the 'set default' tool won't work to send readers to the new book. Am I right so far?

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23787 comments No, we combine books on the basis of content, so title doesn't matter.

That is why there is a default tool. So authors can decide which edition they'd like to feature.

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Tharpe | 6 comments Thanks. Can I ask one last question about the meaning of 'edition'? I have a book in both digital format and in paperback format. The paperback is up on Goodreads. I'm going to add the digital format next. Do I "add it as new book" and change the format info, or is there some other way to set these two formats for one title?
Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23787 comments If you add it using the "add a new book" link it will auto combine with the other editions and you fill in the appropriate information it requires.

Asking questions is good, never be afraid to ask.

message 10: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 10 comments I read The Lawman's Romance Lesson by Marie Ferrarella and cannot see genre shelves. Can someone make them visible.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23787 comments Sorry Maritza, they are auto generated by the database.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
It gets confusing when a thread linked to a specific book or author is also used for other books. I am closing this thread. Start new ones for other books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.