Books on the Nightstand discussion

Postal Book Clubs > Postal Book Group #8 - looking for new members

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cwsmith) | 104 comments Interested in trying a new way of reading? In expanding your reading landscape and making friends around the country? Join our postal book group! We have a small set of guidelines, but the most important qualifiers are loving to read, willing to take a chance on reading books outside your usual genres, and being committed to following our established calendar for reading and mailing. If you are interested, please email me at cwsmith@anderson.edu.

We are organizing for 2020 right now, aiming for our first mailing by mid-February. Don’t delay!

Cindy Smith

message 2: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 308 comments tell me more

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cwsmith) | 104 comments melodie wrote: "tell me more"
Melodie,

Our little group has been going for several years...7 I think. Three of us have been in it since day one, with the other three spots rolling over to new people after 2-3 years for various reasons.

With a group of 6, we rotate books and journals every two months. Books ideally are around 300 pages; no more than 350. Can be any genre, but we stay away from religion and straight-up politics.

We stress the importance of reading, commenting/reviewing, and getting the book in the mail in a timely manner. Late mailings puts unnecessary stress on the receiving reader. Sometimes a member chooses not to read a book or cannot finish it....it could happen to any of us. Just get it in the mail to the next person!!

The fun of this kind of book group is reading books you might not have chosen on your own. But there is a certain pressure in reading on a schedule which not everyone enjoys.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to respond either here or to my email cwsmith@anderson.edu.

Cindy

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Hi Cindy,
What are some titles that your group has read recently? I'm interested in joining.

Thanks,
Tracy