Reading German Books in 2020 discussion

Level 1: Neuendorf-Sachsenbande > Samy's 2020 German challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments My goal is to read at least 5 books. My reading level in German is slipping a bit, so want to refresh it, however it's slow going, so I will do a combination of books in German and in English translation.

First up:
River by Esther Kinsky translated to English by Iaian Galbraith

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 115 comments Samy wrote: "My goal is to read at least 5 books. My reading level in German is slipping a bit, so want to refresh it, however it's slow going, so I will do a combination of books in German and in English trans..."

hope you like it

message 3: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments Well, River was not my cup of tea, but on to the next book. I want to refresh my German reading ability before trying to tackle reading a book completely in German so I'm currently reading/working my way through Der blutige Pfad: Deutsch B2 by Nina Wagner. It contains 3 short krimis (mysteries) with grammar and vocabulary exercises. The preposition exercises are always my weakest area...

message 4: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments OK, going to do some more refreshing of reading skills and read a YA book in German: Silber: Das erste Buch der Träume by Kerstin Gier

message 5: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments It wasn't difficult to read, but I didn't enjoy that YA book. So now I will try another children's book by an author whose work I've enjoyed before:

Christine Nöstlinger's collection Das große Nöstlinger-Lesebuch

Das große Nöstlinger-Lesebuch by Christine Nöstlinger

message 6: by Annix (new)

Annix | 16 comments I have always liked Nöstlinger. I think for refreshing one‘s language, childrens‘ authors are a great idea!

message 7: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments I really enjoyed this book of over 30 different stories. I'm not sure what I'll read next and whether it will be in German or English translation.

message 8: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments Now onto The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili.

The publisher is promoting this as a readlong with questions, etc. starting 20 April...(yes I'm a day late). I'm reading it in English translation.

Here's the link to the discussion about this here on Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Samy (new)

Samy | 30 comments OK, well completed the 5 so I'll have to join the group heading towards the next level. The Eighth Life was great. Highly recommended.