Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > February 2020 Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (last edited Jan 19, 2020 04:45AM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 606 comments Mod
February is coming and we need to pick a new book of the month. I'm sure by now mostly everyone is tired of the cold and snow, so our monthly theme is going to be Tropical Settings. What hot places can you think of? Hawaii, Florida, the Caribbean, India, some other place? What books do you know of that take place in such locations? I'm sure you have a few on your lists, ones that you've been waiting to read. Because it would be nice to get away from the snow and cold! Books previously read by this group can be found on the following thread: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

So what do you want to read? Nominate a book!
Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations
3. Book should follow the theme
4. Try to explain why you are choosing the book (optional)

Also keep in mind, for the purposes of this group, we consider a classic book to be at least 50 years old or with literary acclaim.

message 2: by Ward (new)

Ward Hammond (wardhammond) | 1 comments Les Miserables

message 3: by La Tonya (new)

Ward wrote: "Les Miserables"

This group has read this selection in the past. If you would like to read it on your own or find a buddy to read with and post comments follow this link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Enjoy Reading,
La Tonya 📚

message 4: by Walker (new)

Walker | 75 comments Back To Mandalay by Lowell Thomas, published by The Greystone Press, copyright 1951. Historical novel, true to actual events of the daring exploits of General Orde Wingate in the jungles of Burma, following the true historical events and characters. First edition is 320 pages. General Wingate, Colonel Cochran, and Colonel Alison are the primary characters.

message 5: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 19, 2020 06:41AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 220 comments It's summer and hot hot hot in Australia. In view of that i would like to nominate
My Brilliant Career (1901) by Miles Franklin.

Stella Maria Sarah Miles Franklin, known as Miles Franklin (14 October 1879 – 19 September 1954), was an Australian writer and feminist. She was committed to the development of a uniquely Australian form of literature, and she actively pursued this goal by supporting writers, literary journals, and writers' organisations. She has had a long-lasting impact on Australian literary life through her endowment of a major annual prize for literature about "Australian Life in any of its phases", the Miles Franklin Award. Her impact was further recognised in 2013 with the creation of the Stella Prize, awarded annually for the best work of literature by an Australian woman.

message 6: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 19, 2020 07:05AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 220 comments Also I'm not tired of winter at all. I wish it would snow, it seems it's forgotten how. Just rain, rain, overcast, rain. Not a single snowflake this winter yet. I would love a nice wintery, snowy read. Ah, England!

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jacqulene) Hawaii by James A. Michener

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments Return to Paradise by James A. Michener. It was published in 1951 and covers several countries in the Pacific, from Fiji to Australia to New Guinea, Polynesia. I've had this book on my shelf for awhile and would like to read it. I also see the group has not read it yet.

Return to Paradise by James A. Michener

message 9: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Flor | 10 comments A Passage To India
E.M. Forster

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Flor | 10 comments A Passage To India
E.M Forster

message 11: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 5 comments Emma by Jane Austen Emma by Jane Austen

message 12: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 4 comments The Years with Laura Diaz by Carlos Fuentes

The Years with Laura Diaz by Carlos Fuentes

This novel is set in Mexico, a country I have visited a few times between 2004 and 2010. I found it to be a very colorful, fascinating country in terms of its people, culture, and history.

"The Years with Laura Diaz" presents the 20th century "through the eyes of Laura Diaz, a woman who becomes as much a part of our history as of the Mexican history she observes and helps to create. Born in 1898, this extraordinary woman grows into a wife and mother, becomes the lover of great men, and, before her death in 1972, is celebrated as a politically committed artist. A complicated and alluring heroine, she lives a happy life despite the tragedies and losses she experiences, for she has borne witness to great changes in her country's life, and she has loved and understood with unflinching honesty."

message 13: by La Tonya (last edited Jan 19, 2020 09:16AM) (new)

Diana S wrote: "Emma by Jane Austen Emma by Jane Austen"

Diana S wrote: "Emma by Jane Austen Emma by Jane Austen"

This group has read this selection in the past. If you would like to read it on your own or find a buddy to read with and post comments follow this link:
Reading,https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Enjoy Reading,
La Tonya 📚

message 14: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 19, 2020 09:48AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 220 comments I'm somewhat confused....
Re: The Years with Laura Diaz it says... "a woman who becomes as much a part of our history as of the Mexican history..."
Who is speaking?
Who is the 'our' of 'our history'?
Other than that, you've already told us the story now, so no need to read it ahaha.

message 15: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadoesbooks) | 16 comments I think I am too late but Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway. It hit 50 years this year so it counts for our definition of classic!

message 17: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 4 comments Jazzy wrote: "I'm somewhat confused....
The Years with Laura Diaz

In answer to your following queries:

Who is speaking?
I cannot answer that because I haven't read the novel, though it has been in my library for several years

Who is the 'our' of 'our history'?
The 'our' refers to Mexico. I don't know if you've ever heard of Carlos Fuentes. He was a Mexican writer, academic, and diplomat. One of his other novels --- The Old Gringo --- was adapted to the screen in the early 1980s as a movie starring Gregory Peck.

What I provided you and the other members of the Group, I think, is a bare bones summary of the novel. Something that may whet your curiosity enough to take a plunge into the novel. (Smile.)

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan | 0 comments I second “The Years of Laura Diaz”.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments First thought was Hawaii by Michenor but it is extremely long and the second thought was Passage to India by Forester

message 20: by La Tonya (new)

Jazzy wrote: "The First Six Picks
1. Back to Mandalay - Lowell Thomas
2. My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin
3. Hawaii - [author:James ..."

Thank You, I will set the poll. Enjoy Reading, 📚

message 21: by La Tonya (new)

KOMET wrote: "The Years with Laura Diaz by Carlos Fuentes

This novel is set in Mexico, a country I have visited a few times between 2..."

This book was first published in 1999. It is not fifty years old.
Enjoy Reading, 📚

message 22: by La Tonya (new)

Dana wrote: "I think I am too late but Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway. It hit 50 years this year so it counts for our definition of classic!"

Yes, it qualifies and it is our sixth valid entry. Enjoy Reading, 📚

message 23: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 220 comments KOMET wrote: ".."

Many thanks KOMET I'm sorry I missed your reply.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.