Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2020 Challenge Archive > 2020 February Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 18, 2020 11:04PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

February
barge
chamber
fetish
optimal
party
stew
tick
website
whistle
wig

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

RULING for the BONUS words
If you are one of those super-cray-cray/OCD/overly ambitious/organised or bored readers who wish to find words from PRIOR months that are missing in addition to the current month's words, you may use an additional three (3) words per book. These can only be allocated to prior month words.

So you may allocate three words per book to the current month's words, AND three words per book if those words are from PRIOR months' and have been carried forward.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Example post:(view spoiler)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 18, 2020 11:07PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

0/10 - Found and Read

February
barge
chamber
fetish
optimal
party
stew
tick
website
whistle
wig

Bonus
amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

Bonus Bonus
cloistered

message 5: by Georgina (last edited Feb 08, 2020 02:46AM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments Read 16/16

barge:
PG 86 “I did kinda barge in on you that day with Heineken and the awful emergency.” Can't Touch This 6/2
chamber: LOC 565 “His kind has a complex nasal cavity that acts as a resonating chamber.” Won by an Alien 2/2
fetish: P94 “Never heard of that fetish before, but I’m down.” Can't Touch This 6/2
optimal: P186 “This isn’t optimal.” Sugar Daddy 8/2
party: LOC 941 “You think I should be throwing a party?” Where Winter Finds You 3/2
stew: P243 “He wanted me to stew and fume...” Priest 7/2
tick: P242 “ ...watched my bedside clock tick away the time.” Sugar Daddy 8/2
website: LOC 228 “...according to the BMW website...” Where Winter Finds You 3/2
whistle: LOC 2601 “I stifle a whistle.” Won by an Alien 2/2
wig: P264 “She wore a wig the color of blue cotton candy...” Priest 7/2

Bonus -
amulet:
P10 “...as if they were an amulet to ward off unwanted thoughts.” Priest 7/2
chops: P293 “Pork, bacon, chops—anything that oinked was off the menu forever.” Can't Touch This 6/2
encyclopedia: LOC 170 “There was an encyclopedia of nouns placed in a series of simple wooden bookshelves...” The Wide Window 8/2
hives: LOC 589 “I'm going to give Sunny and myself a baking soda bath to help our hives." The Wide Window 8/2
proverb: LOC 1461 “What is that proverb?” Won by an Alien 2/2
cloistered: LOC 3088 “...cloistered around a very sick patient, holding hands.” Where Winter Finds You 3/2

message 6: by Rissa (last edited Feb 29, 2020 05:18PM) (new)

Rissa | 624 comments February!!!! My spot! :)

2020 February Word Hunt

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

FEBRUARY Read 10/10
1. BARGE - The Reluctant Berserker - √ 15 February 2020
loc 1579 - Ecgfreda took him by the belt and tugged him out of the hall, as a single man with a rope could pull a barge if it was but unmoored enough.
2. CHAMBER - The Tools That Ran Away - √ 25 February 2020
loc 5123 - The walls were decorated with murals depicting star-strewn swaths of the galaxy, illuminated by a glowing orb that hovered high above the chamber, seemingly not suspended from anything.
3. FETISH - 'Til Death Do Us Part - √ 20 February 2020
loc 3249 - “Did you develop some kind of odor fetish while I was gone?”
4. OPTIMAL - The Tools That Ran Away - √ 25 February 2020
loc 961 - “I can restore the arm to eighty-five percent optimal functionality in an hour or so,” said Gloss.
5. PARTY - The Beast - √ 2 February 2020
p153 - Rohese had been miserable at his birthday party, but had approached him anyway.
6. STEW - The Beast - √ 2 February 2020
p197 - An attempt at bread failed, but the stew turned out well, as did some dried apple slices he'd thrown together with assorted spices and brandy to make what he could for dessert.
7. TICK - Country Boy - √ 19 February 2020
p283 - “Yeah. I’m pretty sure I stuck tighter’n a tick to you.”
8. WEBSITE - Country Boy - √ 19 February 2020
p217 - Paul pressed his thumb hard against the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes against an imaginary headache as he scrolled obsessively through the website.
9. WHISTLE - The Reluctant Berserker - √ 15 February 2020
loc 1294 - He dragged himself out into the open air with bow on his back and only his bone whistle tucked up his sleeve, feeling naked without harp and lyre both.
10. WIG - Kidnapped by the Pirate - √ 21 February 2020
p215 - The messenger wore a ridiculously puffy wig and was dressed in fine silks that were too big for his frame.

BONUS Read 5/5
1. AMULET - Country Boy - √ 19 February 2020
p53 - An amulet of protection for traveling athletes.
2. CHOPS - 'Til Death Do Us Part - √ 20 February 2020
loc 2016 - “Pork chops with caramelized apples and arugula. I found the recipe on The Cooking Channel’s website.”
3. ENCYCLOPEDIA - How to Be a Movie Star - √ 8 February 2020
loc 4568 - He sat in his recliner with an open encyclopedia (Josy thought it was the beginning of the R section), Harry S. Truman chittering at his feet as he played with a ball that had a bell inside.
4. HIVES - How to Be a Movie Star - √ 8 February 2020
loc 4278 - “Absolutely not. And the idea of planning a bachelor party gives me hives.”
5. PROVERB - 'Til Death Do Us Part - √ 20 February 2020
loc 669 - I laughed. “Yep. As the old proverb goes, ‘necessity is the mother of invention.’”

BONUS BONUS Read 1/1
1. CLOISTERED - Kidnapped by the Pirate - √ 21 February 2020
p141 - Possibly akin to the idea of living the rest of his life cloistered, his true self secreted away.

FINISHED!!!!

message 7: by Tammie (last edited Feb 22, 2020 05:20PM) (new)

Tammie | 1634 comments Read: 10/10
Bonus: 5/5
Bonus-Bonus: 1/1
Carried Over: 2/2

2/4 barge - Midnight Blue, pg 94 of 317 ...even I was perceptive enough to acknowledge I had no right to barge into her space.

2/6 chamber - Sword and Pen, pg 47 of 358 Through some trick of engineering, the air in this chamber felt cool despite the damp heat outside.

2/12 fetish - Captivated by You, pg 80 of 357 I'd never had a fetish for particular parts of the female body, until Eva.

2/12 optimal - Captivated by You, pg 318 of 357 ...her perfectly, allowing for optimal...

2/2 party - The Rise of Magicks, pg 49 of 454 "And we're having a little private party", Arlys finished.

2/12 stew - Midnight Blue, pg 95 of 317 ...last thing I needed was to stay in my room and stew.

2/14 tick - One with You, pg 271 of 475 "...if figuring out what makes her tick and being surprised when she shows you something new."

2/12 website - Captivated by You, pg 120 of 357 I ran a search for the bar and pulled up it's website.

2/14 whistle - One with You, pg 98 of 475 A whistle drew our gazes to where Martin, Lacey, and Cary were stepping onto the sand...

2/14 wig - One with You, pg 67 of 475 "Was she wearing a wig when you saw her?"

Bonus
2/17 amulet - A Matter of Choice, loc 2969 of 3014 ...took out the copper amulet with the sign of the horse.

2/17 chops - A Matter of Choice, loc 412 of 3014 "Stuffed pork chops and mashed potatoes."

2/23 - encyclopedia Some Sort of Crazy, pg 107 of 327 I could write a fucking encyclopedia about all the ways he didn’t deserve her.

2/2 hives - The Rise of Magicks, pg 98 of 454 They'd need hives at the new bases.

2/6 proverb - Sword and Pen, pg 135 of 358 An old Japanese proverb.

Bonus-Bonus
2/23 - cloistered Some Sort of Crazy, pg 72 of 327 I thought of Miles letting some woman tie his balls to a wall and felt like a cloistered nun.

Carry Over
2/12 acoustic - Midnight Blue, pg 9 of 317 ...when I sat, day in and day out, outside King's Cross tube station with Tania, my acoustic Tatay, and played...

2/17 cadet - A Matter of Choice, loc 161 of 3014 In his climb from cadet to detective sergeant, there had been little opportunity...

message 8: by JoAnne (last edited Feb 29, 2020 08:05PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 278 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020 - Finished and will carry over orphan words to next month!

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

Read 9/10; 3/5 bonus and 0/1 bonus bonus
January orphan words 0/1; 0/1 bonus

February - Read 9/10

barge(d) - Kindle location 183 - He barged into his own kitchen, startling his little six-year-old sister Maddie, who was coloring at the kitchen table.
The Amish Teacher's Dilemma (North Country Amish #3) by Patricia Davids 2/10/20 4stars

chamber

fetish - Kindle location 1355 - The fetish site has over thirty million subscribers in the US alone.
Sex With Strangers by Mollie Mathews 2/2/20 4stars

optimal - Large print hardcover, page 186 - "So, what would you call the optimal - Christ, now I'm talking like you."
The Perfect Hope (Inn Boonsboro Trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts 2/14/20 5stars

party - Large print paperback page 171 - I'm having a party.
The Last Boyfriend(Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts 2/4/20 5stars

stew - Large print paperback page 115 - I've got beef stew in the Crock-Pot.

tick (ticking) - Kindle location 645 - I can't hear any ticking and there's no croaking toads.

website - Paperback, page 91 - She glanced over her shoulder and made sure her door was closed, then typed in the address for the Boise, Idaho, city website.
Sisters by Choice(Blackberry Island #4) by Susan Mallery 2/8/20 4stars

whistle (whistling) - Kindle location 193 - Whistling, he straightened and stared at the contents of the pot.
A Love to Mend Her Broken Heart: A Historical Western Romance Novel by Etta Foster 2/5/20 4stars

wig (wigged) - Large print paperback page 427 - "You wigged."

Bonus - Read 3/5
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

amulet

chops - Paperback, Large Print, page 73 - We put our faces into our dinner plates-pork chops, mashed potatoes and beets.
In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume 2/9/20 4stars

encyclopedia - Paperback, Large Print, page 10 - A complete set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica took up three shelves of the bookcase, along with family photos,...
In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume 2/9/20 4stars

hives

proverb - Kindle location 314 - Haven't you heard that old Chinese proverb about being as old as the last guy you screwed?

and a bonus bonus - Read 0/1
cloistered

January Orphan Words
Read 0/1 word

decay

Read 0/1 bonus word

cadet

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

RULING for the BONUS words
If you are one of those super-cray-cray/OCD/overly ambitious/organised or bored readers who wish to find words from PRIOR months that are missing in addition to the current month's words, you may use an additional three (3) words per book. These can only be allocated to prior month words.

message 9: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Feb 17, 2020 10:06PM) (new)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 187 comments Word Hunt February
Duration:1 - 29 February 2020
Words Found 10/10
Bonus Words: 5/5
Bonus Bonus Word 1/1
Orphan Word 1/1

February 16/17

barge-Actors Anonymous "There was a tourist club on a barge called Concorde Alantique, which was docked on the other side of the Seine from the Actor's rented flat." Page 181 2/5/20

chamber-The Violent Land "Clell pulled the trigger, and there was a metallic click as the hammer fell on the empty chamber." Page 264 2/4/20

fetish-Killman Creek "There's double meanings in all of that, sexualizing and fetishizing my fear." Page 216 2/12/20

optimal-Angelfall "This isn't about making logical, optimal decisions." Page 59 2/17/20

party-Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity "I should have known you wouldn't forget to throw me a welcome home party." Page 9 2/5/20

stew-The Violent Land "He also made him some stew of squirrel and rabbit, potatoes, and noodles that he made from flour and broth." Page 228 2/4/20

tick-Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity "Several seconds ticked by before the numbers blinked, changing from twelve-forty-seven to twelve-forty-eight. Page 83 2/5/20

website-Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity 'I did everything the website said i should do." Page 126 2/5/20

whistle-The Violent Land "Then they heard the whistle of the approaching train." Page 227 2/4/20

wig- Her Final Breath "Shereece slid of a wig revealing a peach-colored skullcap." Location 1542 2/16/20

Bonus

amulet-Even Vampires Get the Blues "Her fingers stroked the amber amulet as her eyes lost their focus." Chapter 14 2/12/20

chops-My Sister's Grave "The brass busting his chops over this one?" location 124 2/5/20

encyclopedia- Y is for Yesterday "I know this because I looked it up in the encyclopedia set that my Aunt Gin was conned into buying from my door-to-door salesman." Page 203

hives- Seed "I pass Ellis the wooden box and Ruby reaches for his other hand as we walk from the shed across the field, to where the hives sit waiting for us." Chapter 13 2/7/20

proverb-Dangerous Affairs "That proverb must be printed in some official motherhood manual." Page 260 2/13/20

Bonus Bonus

cloistered-Even Vampires Get the Blues "I am a bit of the stereotypical cloistered scholar." Page 5 2/12/20

Orphan Word:

Cadet- A Fashionable Indulgence “The Vane family tree is beyond my comprehension, but I am told he springs from a cadet branch.” Location 904 2/16/20

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2020 10:30PM) (new)

WORDS: 10/10. BONUS: 4/6.

BARGE. Pregnant to an Alien King. 16 Feb.
Page 44. That’s of course, when Jesper simply barged into the room and he stopped short when he saw LJ and I sitting on one of the sofa chairs.
CHAMBER. Highland Moon #1: BBW Scottish Werewolf Shifter Romance. 16 Feb.
Page 27. It was a large chamber with a hearth and a tall four-post bed.
FETISH. The Intern #1. 8 Feb.
Page 39. There was no way of knowing the truth and as I walked out of the hotel, I wasn’t sure if I’d just satisfied an older man’s fetish for a big beautiful girl or whether an internship and more chances to be with Conrad Reed might actually come my way.
OPTIMAL. Suburban Cyborg. 16 Feb.
Page 6. Optimal setting is at 115% oxygen intake.
PARTY. Fix Me Not. 1 Feb.
Page 52. I'll never be the life of the party like Gideon, or be comfortable talking to people I've just met like Noah and Abby, or confident enough to order anyone around like Eli.
STEW. Witchin' Spice. 22 Feb.
Page 26. Bethilda asked as she set a large bowl of beef stew on the table, complete with cornbread and loads of butter.
TICK. Fix Me Not. 1 Feb.
Page 50. While I was cleaning I tried to piece together what made him tick.
WEBSITE. Zane. 1 Feb.
Page 65. She pulled her cell from her purse and opened the internet browser, typing in one of the news websites.
WHISTLE. Zane. 1 Feb.
Page 27. Jesse whistled sharply, and the elephants moved closer to the fence.
WIG. Zane. 1 Feb.
Page 81. “Is he a big-wig or something?”

AMULET. Undiscovered. 23 Feb.
Page 9. After that, her team had discovered jewelry, a golden scarab, and a small amulet of a dog-like animal.
CHOPS.
ENCYCLOPEDIA. Pieces of Paper: A short story set in Tokyo. 17 Feb.
Page 26. This boy is too sweet, an encyclopedia of information, and nothing has happened between us at all.
HIVES. Witchin' Spice. 22 Feb.
Page 104. I was nervous and my anxiety hives were starting to sprout up and down my legs.
PROVERB.
CLOISTERED. Red. 11 Feb.
Page 16. Women who’d survived the catastrophic biological terrorism of the past were cloistered behind the walls of the wealthy or living in sanctuaries where they determined the course of their own lives.

message 11: by Maritza (last edited Feb 27, 2020 05:34PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 525 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

Words Found - 9 of 10 / of 5 Bonus / of 1 Bonus Bonus

barge, The Lawman's Romance Lesson 02/06 - It wouldn't be right to just BARGE in... (63%)
chamber, Overdue for Love 02/07 - ,the Ford might as well have been a torture CHAMBER. (pg 49)
fetish, Suds and Sam For Hire 02/27 - someone with an underwear FETISH will find me. (37 %)
optimal
party, Just What the Cowboy Needed 02/02 - ,Cassie wanted to have a tea PARTY outside on the front porch. (loc 10%)
stew, The Last Widow 02/08 - The other women had bowls of STEW. (loc 83%)
tick, Just What the Cowboy Needed 02/02 - ...strategic decision about which one of you I can least afford to TICK off. (loc 18%)
website, The Last Widow 02/08 - Sara was listed on the GBI's WEBSITE as a special agent... (18%)
whistle, The Lawman's Romance Lesson 02/06 - Joe uttered a low WHISTLE... (7%)
wig, The Last Widow 02/08 - The humidity had tightened the curls into a clown WIG. (loc 49%)

Just What the Cowboy Needed (The Bachelors of Blackwater Lake, #11) by Teresa Southwick The Lawman's Romance Lesson (Forever, Texas Book 20) by Marie Ferrarella Overdue for Love (Long Valley, #3.5) by Erin Wright The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9) by Karin Slaughter Suds and Sam For Hire by Stella Marie Alden

amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

cloistered

message 12: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Jan 20, 2020 04:13AM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1080 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

barge
chamber
fetish
optimal
party
stew
tick
website
whistle
wig

Bonus
amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

message 13: by Andrea (last edited Feb 23, 2020 01:54PM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments 15 words in 8 book

barge - Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case - Feb7 - 5*
LOC 230 - ...why I suddenly barged in ...
chamber - The Mage on the Hill - Feb19 - 5*
LOC 406 - ... sat in a secure guidance chamber.
fetish - Oz - Feb15 - 5*
LOC 2892 - I reckon you've got a boss fetish.
optimal - Snow Regrets - Feb18 - 2*
LOC 1128 - ... but weren't exactly optimal.
party - Oz - Feb15 - 5*
LOC 720 - There will be a party
stew - Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case - Feb7 - 5*
LOC 2977 - Borrowman let the silence stew for a moment
tick - The Mage on the Hill - Feb19 - 5*
LOC 1236 - Or ticks.
website - At Home - Feb19 - 2*
LOC 2291 - ...as I scrolled through a website...
whistle - Oz - Feb15 - 5*
LOC 295 - I whistle
wig - Warm Heart - Feb17 - 3*
LOC 955 - She would put on a wig

Bonus
amulet - Love Potion 69 - Feb23 - 3*
LOC 82 - I invest this amulet of love..
chops - The Mage on the Hill - Feb19 - 5*
LOC 161 - ... did turn up some pork chops.
encyclopedia - Snow Regrets - Feb18 - 2*
LOC 618 - The encyclopedia at home ...
hives - Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case - Feb7 - 5*
LOC 714 - My sister breaks out into hives...
proverb - Mainly by Moonlight - Feb14 - 5*

Bonus Bonus
cloistered

message 14: by Claire (last edited Feb 29, 2020 01:39PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments February

1. barge
2. Chamber Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner ...his revolver and emptied the chamber. LOC: pg. 365 READ:2/22/20
3. Fetish Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner "Suddenly, I have a foot fetish." LOC: pg. 132 READ:2/22/20
4. optimal
5. Party Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner The cocktail party after the show... LOC: pg. 16 READ:2/22/20
6. stew
7. tick
8. website
9. Whistle(d) Bucket List To Love by C.P. Santi "Her older sister whistled." LOC: 701 READ:2/29/20
10. Wig Christmas in the City by Bria Felicien ...the ends of the blue wig I had on. LOC: 413 READ:2/29/20

Bonus

1. amulet
2. chops
3. encyclopedia
4. hives
5. proverb

Bonus Bonus

1. cloistered

Orphan Words (March)

Bonus

1. Blistering Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner ...the sordid details of their "blistering affair,"... LOC: pg. 363 READ:2/22/20
2. Ephemeral

Bonus Bonus

1. Smallpox

Orphan Words (April)

1. Husky Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner Mina's voice was distant, husky. LOC: pg. 118 READ:2/22/20
2. Vulture

Bonus

1. Abrasive Pas De Deux: A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner "...like Carmen. So direct. Almost abrasive." LOC: pg. 297 READ:2/22/20
2. Biblical
3. Devotee
4. Dolphins

Bonus Bonus

1. Puce

Orphan Words (May)

1. Betray
2. Frantic Pas De Deux: A Christmas Short by Lynn Turner "...made her heart go all frantic." LOC: 324 READ:2/22/20
3. Hazy
4. Lamb
5. Puzzle(d) Pas De Deux: A Christmas Short by Lynn Turner "...turned to her with a puzzled frown." LOC: 692 READ:2/22/20
6. Radiate(d)Pas De Deux: A Christmas Short by Lynn Turner "...all over with pleasure that radiated from her core..." LOC: 405 READ:2/22/20
7. Raspy (rasp)

Bonus

1. Breezy Bucket List To Love by C.P. Santi "...of-fact or fun and breezy?" LOC: 2002 READ:2/29/20
2. Calculator
3. Lackadaisical
4. Painstaking
5. Propaganda

Bonus Bonus

1. Holistic

Orphan Words (June)

1. Furtive
2. Guitar
3. Inject
4. Milk Bucket List To Love by C.P. Santi "...reached for a carton of milk and shook her head." LOC: 368 READ:2/29/20
5. Ornate
6. Toothbrush

Bonus

1. Accomplice
2. Chivalrous
3. Clover
4. Mohawk
5. Rambunctious

Bonus Bonus

1. Knotty

Orphan Words (July)

1. Coyotes
2. Hairless
3. Intruder
4. Viper

Bonus

1. Assiduously
2. Cadaver
3. Charismatic
4. Gateway
5. Mythical

Bonus Bonus

Aquatic Bucket List To Love by C.P. Santi "...was in the Department of Aquatic Biosciences and was studying fish diseases." LOC: 346 READ:2/29/20

Orphan Words (August)

1. ration
2. shuttle

Bonus

1. astronaut
2. lunar

Orphan Words (September)

1. hamster
2. retire

Bonus

1. arcade
2. cuddly
3. elated
4. reign
5. rot

Bonus Bonus

1. vagabond

Orphan Words (October)

1. Loyal
2. Kitten

Bonus

1. Director Christmas in the City by Bria Felicien "I'm a director." LOC: 368 READ:2/29/20
2. Cocoon
3. Acoustic Christmas in the City by Bria Felicien ...over jazz, hip-hop or acoustic tracks. LOC: 351 READ:2/29/20
4. Moonbeam

Bonus Bonus

1. Accuracy

Orphan Words - November

1. coffin
2. cannon
3. devilish
4. salt
5. thermometer
6. turkey

Bonus

1. amok
2. anchovies
3. frontier
4. toaster
5. unaccountably

December Orphan Words

1. boiling
2. chimney
3. chubby
4. sack

Bonus

1. colony
2. communion
3. jingle
4. moose
5. noir

Bonus Bonus

1. executioner

Orphan Words (January)

1. disarm
2. shrewd
3. wax

Bonus

1. cadet
2. idiotic
3. toothpaste
4. vengeful

Bonus Bonus

1. flagrant

message 15: by ~Teresa (last edited Feb 01, 2020 06:17PM) (new)

~Teresa | 329 comments February Word Hunt

0/10
0/5
0/1

Regular ~

barge
chamber
fetish
optimal
party
stew
tick
website
whistle
wig

Bonus ~

amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

Bonus-Bonus

cloistered

message 16: by Barbara ★ (last edited Feb 29, 2020 07:16PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3562 comments February Word Hunt

READ: 13/16

✔ barge - No Fixed Line - Dana Stabenow 2/14
(had to be brought in by barge), p260

✔ chamber - Whom the Gods Hate - M.M. Perry 2/6
(it wasn't the immensity of the chamber), p127

fetish -
(), p

optimal -
( ), p

✔ party - Under the Snow - Kerstin Ekman 2/9
(had arranged a bit of a party in the evening), p15

✔ stew - Whom the Gods Hate - M.M. Perry 2/6
(where he was stirring the stew), p161

✔ tick - Endless Heart - Emma Lang 2/28
(closer than ticks on a dog's arse), p47

✔ website - Trick or Treat - Kerry Greenwood 2/14
(then he set up a website), p156

✔ whistle - Whom the Gods Hate - M.M. Perry 2/6
(an encouraging whistle from Anya), p145

✔ wig - The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde 2/21
(he wore a pomaded wig), p173

Bonus
✔ amulet - Dangerously Fierce - Deborah Blake 2/8
(an amulet in the shape of tentacles), p98

✔ chops - Flirting Under a Full Moon - Ashlyn Chase 2/16
(we were just busting each others chops), p109

✔ encyclopedia - The Bookman - Lavie Tidhar 2/13
(where a thick volume of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica had fallen), p39

✔ hives - The Undoing - Averil Dean 2/10
(neck a savage red, thick with hives), p97

✔ proverb - Trick or Treat - Kerry Greenwood 2/14
(just a proverb, a Yiddish proverb), p19

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

message 17: by Emily (last edited Mar 02, 2020 03:47PM) (new)

Emily | 693 comments This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

February
barge
chamber (Loc4883) clip into my hand and cleared the CHAMBER. Kale by Cee Bowerman 2.8
fetish (Loc3791) A FETISH perhaps? -Vehn by LS Anders 2.17
optimal (Loc3797) Parking isn't OPTIMAL. (Not) the One by Donna Alam 2.28
party (Loc542) at the welcome home PARTY the girls had arranged. Kale by Cee Bowerman 2.8
stew (Loc425) I'm going to let them STEW for a little Kale by Cee Bowerman 2.8
tick (Loc3463) Adam's jaw began to TICK Irresistible by RL Mathewson 2.4
website (Loc334) she made money from designing WEBSITES and apps Irresistible by RL Mathewson 2.4
whistle (Loc245) There was a wolf WHISTLE from the doorway…Fries Before Guys by Lani Lynn Vale 2.11
wig (Loc5006) show is now a big WIG in Hollywood Grunt by Cee Bowerman 2.17

Bonus

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

amulet
chops
encyclopedia (Loc363) page in an ENCYCLOPEDIA, and I could Fries Before Guys by Lani Lynn Vale 2.11
hives (Loc 2985) has to be done, is giving me HIVES. Crazy Heifer by Lani Lynn Vale 2.26
proverb

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

message 18: by Beth (last edited Feb 28, 2020 10:43AM) (new)

Beth  | 184 comments I'm in. I did fairly well so far for January. Although it's beginning to look like I'll have a couple of rollover words for this month's challenge. However January is not officially over yet. Anyway here is my February list.

February 2020

barge - "He barged in, spouted a load of shit, said he was going upstairs to see Cam and I told him I'd call the cops if he did."
page 299 from Bait by Jade West by Jade West

chamber - "She was hatched from one of those baby cooking chambers, Axel says, and from his conversational tone I realized he's speaking to Nash who is apparently his brother."
LOC 207 from Savage Daddies by Sue Lyndon by Sue Lyndon

fetish - "Mariana jacked me up and got me hooked, an addict to her filthy fetishes, damned to hunt like a beast in the darkness."
page 39 from Bait by Jade West by Jade West

optimal

party - "I wasn't in a party mood."
page 295 from Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan from Mia Sheridan

stew - "I'll be right back with some stew." page 110 from Anointed by Charity B. by Charity B.

tick - "I felt like Archer was a ticking time bomb, ready to blow at any minute."
page 287 from Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan from Mia Sheridan

website - "I looked up their website and find a standard, generic-looking office supplies company."
page 179 from Bait by Jade West by Jade West

whistle - "I stood there looking out the window at the rain, waiting for the whistle."
page 182 from Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan by Mia Sheridan

wig

Bonus
amulet

chops

encyclopedia

hives - "...-just the notion made me break out in hives" from Nyx (Satan’s Sinners MC, #1) by Serena Akeroyd by Serena Akeroyd

proverb

Bonus Bonus
cloistered

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Beth wrote: "I'm in. I did fairly well so far for January. Although it's beginning to look like I'll have a couple of rollover words for this month's challenge. However January is not officially over yet. Anywa..."

You don't HAVE to roll over. Its just that a lot of members do 😊

message 20: by Becky (last edited Mar 01, 2020 09:25AM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1399 comments 12/16

barge Insert Groom Here- loc 663- She'd half expected her to use her emergency key and come barging in on her while she was still in bed last night or this morning. 2/24-2/28
chamber The Boyfriend Game- page 28- Then she laughed, shooting a fond look back at the Chamber of Vomit. 2/1-2/2
fetish Insert Groom Here- loc 210- So the last thing she wanted to do was jump through some sort of fetish hoops when, both inside and outside the bedroom, he was a total bore. 2/24-2/28
optimal
party Alpha's Sacrifice- page 34- His body screamed at him to get this party started, but he forced himself to use his brain. 2/2-2/3
stew The Boyfriend Game- page 123- "Kent's been stewing about being required to show up for the finale ever since we got cut," David said, shaking his head. 2/1-2/2
tick The Secret of Hunter's Bog- loc 2028- It bounced off with a barely audible tick. 2/5-2/6
website The Boyfriend Game- page 89- "Pretty sure the replay they put up on the website later is just edited to include all the behind-the-scenes stuff." 2/1-2/2
whistle Alpha's Sacrifice- page 258- "I concluded it had to be a cop, someone who didn't want me to blow the whistle on this case." 2/2-2/3
wig Chaos Choreography- loc 510- "I'd basically have to pull my wig off and announce myself." 2/20-2/22

Bonus

amulet
chops Liver Let Die- loc 1133- "You'd think these people had never tasted pork chops before." 2/29
encyclopedia Monster of the Week- loc 2887- Summer stole the book, the travel version of the encyclopedia of the myth world. 2/7-2/9
hives
proverb

Bonus Bonus

cloistered Insert Groom Here- loc 3244- Frustrated with the confined space and starting to feel like a cloistered criminal, she finally gave up and leaned hard against the edge of the vanity, staring at the phone and contemplating texting him. 2/24-2/28

message 21: by MyzanM (last edited Apr 02, 2020 11:19PM) (new)

MyzanM | 317 comments Monthly Word Hunt - February

9/10 - Found
3/5 Bonus
0/1 Bonus-Bonus
2/3 Rollover words

barge - The Sumage Solution, 2/14 at pg. 278: "Both women barged in"
chamber - NoX, 2/15 at pg. 104: "He stared at the bag of human remains at the bottom of the chamber."
fetish - Happy Trail, 2/4 at 63%: "...was the object of attention from guys with a fetish for Asian women."
optimal -
party - Happy Trail, 2/4 at 18%: "There's a keg house party in Montouk next weekend. You should come."
stew - Bitten, 2/7 at 87%: "Then I will make a hearty stew tomorrow for you"
tick - Coyote's Creed, 2/8 at 78%: "Wait a minute. That wasn't English. Hold on a tick."
website - Bitten, 2/7 at 58%: "Do I get some website and put up an ad or hit the bar late on a Friday night?"
whistle - Happy Trail, 2/4 at 5%: "Birds chirp in the colorful canopy of leaves and wind whistles through the mountains under a blue sky."
wig - Coyote's Creed, 2/8 at 20%: "Look at him, like some punk with contacts and a cheap wig."

Bonus
amulet -
chops - Bitten, 2/7 at 60%: "I took my pork chops to the table and sat down."
encyclopedia - Coyote's Creed, 2/8 at 64%: "Guy's a damned encyclopedia."
hives - The Officer and the Vampire Chef, 2/13 at pg. 66: "Other squashes I'm fine with. I break out in hives."
proverb -

Bonus Bonus
cloistered

Roll over from January:
cadet - His Majesty's Dragon, 2/19 at 40%: "Yes, sir, Cadet Emily Roland, at your service"
vengeful - Coyote's Creed, 2/8 at 88%: "The Fate's visage is both vicious and vengeful as she pulls her fingers from the fallen sorcerer's chest, no wound visible there."
flagrant -

message 22: by Carly (last edited Feb 12, 2020 06:40PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments FEBRUARY 2020 - WORD HUNT
·Post 22

1/10
BARGE
CHAMBER
FETISH
OPTIMAL
PARTY
STEW
TICK - #1 (loc 648, 27%)
Out of the corner of my eye, I see the uniformed officer reach for his belt, a stick hanging from the loop. Wait a tick…is that a wand?! Great Scott! It's just like motherfucking Harry Potter! If he jumps out of the shadows somewhere, I'll faint like a dandy.
WEBSITE
WHISTLE
WIG

Bonus
0/5
AMULET
CHOPS
ENCYCLOPEDIA
HIVES
PROVERB

Bonus-Bonus
0/1
CLOISTERED

Carryovers
1/5
January
CADET
DECAY - #1 (loc 298, 13%)
Munchwich is overbrimming with fae, but their magic is pretty much useless. The magic in the fae race has been slowly decaying over the last couple of decades, some compare them with the lame-ass humans now.
SHREWD
TOOTHPASTE
VENGEFUL

2019 Carryovers
0/6
December
NOIR
November
ANCHOVIES
UNACCOUNTABLY
August
ORBIT
July
ASSIDUOUSLY
May
PROPAGANDA

READ
My Pretty (Mischief Matchmakers, #1) by Madeline Fay
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Laila Jane (last edited Feb 26, 2020 08:11AM) (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 263 comments February 2020 Word Hunt

Goal: 8/10 words
Can use each book 3 times

Words:
1. Barge - Big Little Lies
 "Renata appeared at the secretary's shoulder, clearly ready to barge on in." - KL: 2872

2. Chamber - Aurora Rising
 "Reverberating, like in an echo chamber." - pg: 170

3. Fetish - Big Little Lies
 "You have a fetish for humiliating fat girls?" - KL: 5051

4. Optimal

5. Party - Aurora Rising
 "A party in that bathroom?" - pg: 268

6. Stew - Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
 "...clumps of something brown that looked like beef stew." - KL: 562

7. Tick - Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
 "The seconds ticked by." - KL: 3685

8. Website

9. Whistle - Aurora Rising
 "A splinter cuts my cheek, another whistles past my throat..." - pg: 361

10. Wig - Big Little Lies
 "His Elvis wig was askew." - KL: 4735

Books Used:
Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (02/01/20)
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (02/08/20)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke (02/16/20)

message 24: by Wealie (last edited Feb 29, 2020 04:34PM) (new)

Wealie | 375 comments Feb 2020 Word Hunt
Books Read: 12

Single words
Found: 10/10

✔ 01. Barge - Cinder – Read: 01/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 1523: “So sorry to barge in.”

✔ 02. Chamber - Alien Giant – Read: 04/02 – 2.75 🌟🌟 – Loc. 342: “If the child does inherit the mutation and becomes too large during your pregnancy, the child can be removed from your womb and placed in an ectogenesis chamber for the remainder of the–.”

✔ 03. Fetish - Fragile – Read: 09/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 45: “He hadn’t even thought that was the foot fetish type.”

✔ 04. Optimal - Slate – Read: 07/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 610: “I tool an aptitude test early in my life and was presented with a list of optimal career paths that would be best suited for my natural talents.”

✔ 05. Party - Cinder – Read: 01/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 2400: “Article 17 states that no party of the agreement shall knowingly shelter or protect Lunar fugitives.”

✔ 06. Stew - Radek – Read: 10/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 74: “Anger and uncertainty pooled in her stomach in a toxic stew .”

✔ 07. Tick - Scorpius Rising – Read: 03/02 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 419: “There was only one way to go, but he didn’t want to tick off Nora’s friend too much.”

✔ 08. Website - Slate – Read: 07/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 135: “I just went to the website and filled out the application.”

✔ 09. Whistle - Cinder – Read: 01/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 1082: “Then, to Cinder’s surprise, her shackles released with a simultaneous whistle of air.”

✔ 10. Wig - Alien Hunter – Read: 04/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 830: “The Tarrkollian chuckled and ripped her hat off, followed by her wig, causing her long dark hair to spill down her back.”

Bonus words
Found: 5/5

✔ 01. Amulet - Dance Upon Air – Read: 22/02 – # 🌟 – Page 214: “She was twisting the chain of the amulet she wore around her neck, continued to worry it as she strode over to the display counter and hissed.”

✔ 02. Chops - No Place to Run – Read: 14/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 338: “He bought up all the pork chops and put a healthy dent in the chicken breasts.”

✔ 03. Encyclopedia - Fragile – Read: 09/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page ##: “He crossed over and studied the titles on her bookshelves. The Complete Encyclopedia of Serial Killers.”

✔ 04. Hives - Owl’s Fair – Read: 08/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 818: “No, so since I have a few really whacky food allergies, I went out and picked some specific items from the buffet to give myself hives, and to ensure it, I went out and rolled in the local poison ivy patch.”

✔ 05. Proverb - The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever – Read: 28/02 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 1287: “’To spite your mother,’ Miranda repeated, trying ot recall the origin of the original proverb.”

Bonus, Bonus words
Found: 1/1

✔ 01. Cloistered - Dragon’s Blood – Read: 08/02 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 652: “She couldn’t become a cloistered, submissive little wife like Levi’s women.”

Book Covers
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scorpius Rising (The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5) by Rebecca Zanetti Alien Giant (Vaxxlian Mates, #3) by Sue Mercury Alien Hunter (Vaxxlian Mates, #5) by Sue Mercury Slate Vaxxlian Alien Mail Order Brides #2 (Intergalactic Dating Agency) by Sue Mercury Dragon's Blood (Cruentus Dragons Book 1) by Brynn Paulin
Owl's Fair (Shifting Crossroads, #1) by Zenina Masters Fragile (Rafferty, #1) by Shiloh Walker Radek (Star-Crossed Alien Mail Order Brides, #6; Intergalactic Dating Agency #57) by Susan Hayes No Place to Run (KGI, #2) by Maya Banks Dance Upon The Air (Three Sisters Island, #1) by Nora Roberts The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) by Julia Quinn

message 25: by LaurLa (last edited May 02, 2020 06:15PM) (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments February Word Hunt
February 2020

My Word Hunt (msg 25)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
4 of 8 Books Read

February Words

The Cowboy's Claim (Cowboy Cafe, #2) by Carla Cassidy Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole Alone In the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #17; Cincinnati, #2) by Karen Rose Too Hot to Handle (Jackson Hole, #2) by Victoria Dahl Fashionably Dead Down Under (Hot Damned, #2) by Robyn Peterman

barge ~ whether to barge into the front door (loc: 238.4)
🍬The Cowboy's Claim ~ 02.03 ★★★

chamber ~ behind a wall within these chambers, (loc: 551.2)
🍬Lothaire ~ 03.20 ★★★★

fetish ~ He definitely has a hat fetish. (loc: 166.6)
🍬The Cowboy's Claim ~ 02.03 ★★★

optimal ~ his gun was in the optimal position (loc: 607.5)
🍬Alone In the Dark ~ 02.24 ★★★★★

party ~ magazines, and a party pail of iced Corona Lights (loc: 367.7)
🍬Lothaire ~ 03.20 ★★★★

stew ~ let them stew while I was taking care of Miriam. (loc: 409.0)

tick ~ she was looking for ticks after a camping trip. (loc: 168.4)
🍬Too Hot to Handle ~ 02.01 ★★★★

website ~ She could start building a website, maybe, (loc: 34.9)

whistle ~ Clean as a whistle and confused as all get out, (loc: 55.8)
🍬Fashionably Dead Down Under ~ 03.07 ★★★

wig ~ practicing layering on a wig and told me to give it up. (loc: 187.0)

Bonus/ Bonus Bonus Words

Fashionably Dead Down Under (Hot Damned, #2) by Robyn Peterman The Night Belongs to Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #6) by Jennifer Bernard Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole Alone In the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #17; Cincinnati, #2) by Karen Rose Dangerous Affairs by Diana Miller Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

amulet ~ I was fascinated with the amulet. (loc: 282.6)
🍬Fashionably Dead Down Under ~ 03.07 ★★★

chops ~ “Lamb chops,” he chanted under his breath. (loc: 122.7)
🍬The Night Belongs to Fireman ~ 02.23 ★★★★

encyclopedia ~ It’s a self-updating encyclopedia of our world. (loc: 270.5)
🍬Lothaire ~ 03.20 ★★★★

hives ~ I don’t want you to break out in hives. (loc: 433.6)

proverb ~ That proverb must be printed in some official motherhood manual. (loc: 329.9)
🍬Dangerous Affairs ~ 03.16 ★★★

cloistered ~ These females were watched over and cloistered (loc: 117.4)
🍬 Lover Mine ~ 04.20 ★★★★

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 249 comments Word Hunt
1 - 29 February 2020

0/10 - Found and Read

February
barge
chamber-The Good Daughter pg. 456 2/2/20 You always assume a weapon is hot unless you can cleary visualize the empty chamber.
fetish
optimal
party-A Heart So Fierce and Broken pg. 28 Our traveling party is not large.
stew-The Good Daughter pgs. 494 2/2/20 I have a client who cooks it in stew.
tick
website
whistle-The Good Daughter pgs.503 They both watched the rain beat down until the kettle gave a low whistle
wig

Bonus
amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

Bonus Bonus
cloistered

message 27: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments Finished on post #5.

message 28: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Georgina wrote: "Finished on post #5."

Congrats Georgina!!

message 29: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 278 comments encyclopedia - one of the bonus words - was spelled encyclopaedia -in Judy Blume's, In the Unlikely Event. Is that acceptable?

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments JoAnne wrote: "encyclopedia - one of the bonus words - was spelled encyclopaedia -in Judy Blume's, In the Unlikely Event. Is that acceptable?"

I'll accept that :)

message 31: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 278 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "encyclopedia - one of the bonus words - was spelled encyclopaedia -in Judy Blume's, In the Unlikely Event. Is that acceptable?"

I'll accept that :)"

Thanks!

message 32: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Iturrino | 36 comments 0-3 words : better luck next time

February

barge
chamber
fetish
optimal
party.....Speechless.....pg 8...Kristen knows I've been looking forward to her New Year's Eve party for over a month now.
stew
tick
website
whistle
wig

Bonus

amulet
chops
encyclopedia
hives
proverb

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

message 33: by Chan (last edited Feb 26, 2020 06:14PM) (new)

Chan | 3484 comments Feb 2020 Word Hunt

February
barge - Running Wild | Feb 1
Page 357: If you go barging in and surprise him, he'll just shoot her.

chamber - Red, White & Royal Blue | Feb 15
Page 290: a second, deeper chamber

fetish - A Reason to Kill | Feb 12
LOC 3198: barring any unforseen fetishes

optimal

party - Running Wild | Feb 1
Page 81: let the two involved parties fight it out

stew - Running Wild | Feb 1
Page 171: Let him stew

tick - Lie Till I Believe | Feb 2
LOC 1657: What makes her tick

whistle - Liberating Lacey | Feb 9
Page 114: his breath whistling

website - Lie Till I Believe | Feb 2
LOC 2001: On that website

wig - Big Girl Panties | Feb 14
Page 274: laying the good wig flat over his own hair

Bonus
amulet

chops - Release Me | Feb 13
Page 87: once i'm confident I have the chops

encyclopedia
hives
proverb

ROLLOVERS
April Bonus
degenerative
devotee

July Bonus
assiduously

August Bonus
crater
hoax

Oct Bonus
acoustic
moonbeam

November Reg
thermometer

Nov bonus
amok
anchovies

frontier - A Reason to Kill | Feb 12
LOC 124: Welcome to the final frontier

unaccountably

Dec Bonus
colony - A Reason to Kill | Feb 12
LOC 3187: a colony of bears

communion

moose - A Reason to Kill | Feb 12
Page 16: Poor moose head

January Reg
wax - Knight | Feb 10
Page 84: wax on and on

Jan Bonus
cadet

idiotic - Big Girl Panties | Feb 14
Page 274: feeling more idiotic than attractive

vengeful - Running Wild | Feb 1
Page 33: in a vengeful tone

Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge, #1) by Linda Howard Lie Till I Believe by Jude Ann Liberating Lacey by Anne Calhoun Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) by Kristen Ashley A Reason to Kill (Reason, #2) by C.P. Smith Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1) by J. Kenner Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

message 34: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Feb 17, 2020 10:08PM) (new)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 187 comments I am finished post #9

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Marythios (AkaSusanne ) wrote: "I am finished post #9"

Congrats Susanne!!

message 36: by Tammie (new)

message 37: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Congrats Tammie!!

message 38: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments Found 4/10 February Words & 9 Orphan Words once I finish my current read.

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Claire wrote: "Found 4/10 February Words & 9 Orphan Words once I finish my current read."

Going well Claire!!

message 40: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 176 comments Wow, this month was hard! I have 6 words held over

February 2020
10/16

War Dances by Sherman Alexie Dakota by Matt Braun The Man Who Rode Midnight by Elmer Kelton As She Climbed Across the Table by Jonathan Lethem Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4) by Seanan McGuire How to Read the Air by Dinaw Mengestu The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #5) by Alexander McCall Smith

barge
How to Read the Air: p. 84: “She came to just in time to catch sight of a barge

chamber
As She Climbed Across the Table: p. 34: “Before I could object he aimed me through the airlock doors, into the outer chamber of the Cauchy-space lab.”

fetish
War Dances: p. 121: “He’d instantly developed a foot fetish . He wanted to smell this woman’s feet.”

optimal

party
In an Absent Dream: p. 15: “If not for the tempting lure of cake, her brother would already be out the gate and gone, off to join what sounds like a far better party .”

stew
Dakota: p. 106: “The stew and Dutch oven biscuits were washed down with what was commonly referred to as six-shooter coffee.”

tick
The Full Cupboard of Life: p. 173: “My life is going past. Tick , tick. Like a clock that is running too fast.”

website

whistle
The Man Who Rode Midnight: p. 126: “They ain’t exactly house pets that we can whistle up.”

wig
How to Read the Air: p. 11: “Her name was Agnes and she wore a curly black wig to hide the bald patches in the center of her head.”

Bonus

amulet

chops
Men Without Women: p. 34: “He wasn’t acting, that was for sure. His acting chops weren’t that good.”

encyclopedia

hives
The Man Who Rode Midnight: p. 16: “On the rare occasions when Jim Ed’s father had reluctantly accompanied his family to his boyhood home, he had seemed likely to break out with hives and was grateful to see the place in his rearview mirror.”

proverb

and a bonus bonus
cloistered

January

disarm
Dakota: p. 167: “Paddock, Miller, and Moore would cover O’Donald’s ‘gunmen’ and disarm them.”

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Deedee wrote: "Wow, this month was hard! I have 6 words held over

February 2020
10/16

War Dances by Sherman Alexie Dakota by Matt Braun The Man Who Rode Midnight by Elmer Kelton [bookcover:As She Cl..."

Congrats Deedee!!

message 42: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments Hard month for me... found all the words but couldn't get all the books read :-( Hopefully can finish up next month
Updated post: My Word Hunt (msg 25)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
4 of 8 Books Read

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments LaurLa wrote: "Hard month for me... found all the words but couldn't get all the books read :-( Hopefully can finish up next month
Updated post: My Word Hunt (msg 25)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
4 of..."

Congrats LaurLa.

You are the second to comment that the words were harder than usual. I'll try to find a few easier ones for April to let you all catch up :)

message 44: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments Claire wrote: "Found 4/10 February Words & 9 Orphan Words once I finish my current read."

Managed 1 more February Word & 2 more Orphan Words.

So final totals are 5/10 February Words & 11 Orphan Words.

message 45: by Wealie (new)

Wealie | 375 comments Well done everyone. I finished all the words and phrases - see message 26

message 46: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 624 comments I thought I posted already but see that I didn't, lol.

FINISHED! See message 6! :)

Till March - tomorrow! ;)

message 47: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 278 comments Finished on post #8 and carrying orphan words over to March.

My problem seems to be many of the books I read are new releases and can't look up the words on Amazon or in Nook or Kindle if book hasn't been indexed. I try to look for words as I read but they don't always jump out at me.

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Congrats Claire, Wealie, Rissa and JoAnne!!

message 49: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 263 comments My reading was horrible in February. Only found 8 out of the 10 words

message 50: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Congrats & better luck in March LJ??

« previous 1