Read Women discussion

Quarterly Challenges > oshizu's Q2 Crime Fiction & Thrillers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by oshizu (last edited Jun 30, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

oshizu | 47 comments LOL, I know we've just started the first quarter, but I'm way too hyped to restrain myself...

Q2: Crime Fiction & Thrillers

Progress: 23/18

✔️1. The Body Snatcher (Portuguese, Brazil)
✔️2. Hummus and Homicide (New Jersey)
✔️3. Confessions (Japanese, Japan)
✔️4. Death in a Strange Country
✔️5. Aunty Lee's Delights (Singapore)
✔️6. Maisie Dobbs
✔️7. All Yours (Spanish, Argentina)
✔️8. The Godmother (French)
✔️9. The Quiche of Death
✔️10. The Devil's Novice
✔️11. The Hummingbird (Finnish)
✔️12. The Crepes of Wrath
✔️13. Big Lies in a Small Town
✔️14. Catfishing on CatNet
✔️15. Poso Wells (Ecuador)
✔️16. Stage Fright
✔️17. A Great Deliverance
✔️18. Magic and Macaroons
✔️19. Where Shadows Dance
✔️20. Payment in Blood
✔️21. Silent Thunder
✔️22. Spells and Scones
✔️23. The Murder at Sissingham Hall

My planning post

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1809 comments Mod
This is an awesome list for my perusal:)

Happy advance planning and reading, oshizu.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 399 comments Would Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara count for this challenge? Also has anybody read it? My library don't have it but I'm considering buying it as it looks interesting. I don't normally go for mystery type novels but am thinking it might be a good one to expand my horizons a little

message 4: by Carol (new)

Hannah wrote: "Would Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara count for this challenge? Also has anybody read it? My library don't have it but I'm considering buying it a..."

Hannah, I can’t imagine why not. My impression is that Djinn doesn’t necessarily fall into the typical mystery-thriller genre category, so maybe will work better for you than for another reader seeking that familiar experience.

message 5: by oshizu (last edited May 11, 2020 10:41AM) (new)

oshizu | 47 comments My favorites so far have been (in reading order):

Aunty Lee's Delights (Singapore)
All Yours (Argentina, translated from Spanish)
The Godmother (France, translated from French)
The Hummingbird (Finland, translated from Finnish)

Aunty Lee is a delightful elderly protagonist who runs a cafe (so lots of talk of Singaporean cuisine). She's a feisty, bossy but kind-hearted busybody. I loved her!
Both The Godmother and The Hummingbird featured an immigrant protagonist, the latter a detective who immigrated from a young age from Hungary then grew up in Finland.
I'm planning to continue the Aunty Lee and Hummingbird series, but not right away.

For me, Maisie Dobbs was a major slog but I forced myself to finish it for a reading challenge...

message 6: by Carol (new)

oshizu wrote: "My favorites so far have been (in reading order):

Aunty Lee's Delights (Singapore)
All Yours (Argentina, translated from Spanish)
The Godmother (Fra..."

I read a subsequent Annie Lee and for some reason she got on my last nerve. I should try this one. Maisie dobbs is better in two later books (that first one was awful), but they’re never great so you’re not missing anything if you avoid subsequent outings.

I must try the Hummingbird. I like the third in the series and am glad you reminded me of it,

I’ve been in a mid-century binge and have one more IRL book club book to read before I get back to this challenge, my first love genre.

message 7: by oshizu (new)

oshizu | 47 comments Carol wrote: "I’ve been in a mid-century binge and have one more IRL book club book to read before I get back to this challenge, my first love genre.."

"First love" as in the mystery genre is what got you hooked on reading or as in the genre you love above all others? Probably the former. :D

I always love seeing updates on what you're reading!

message 8: by Carol (new)

oshizu wrote: "Carol wrote: "I’ve been in a mid-century binge and have one more IRL book club book to read before I get back to this challenge, my first love genre.."

"First love" as in the mystery genre is what..."

It’s the second. My sister taught me to read when I was 3.5 maybe, and I was always an omnivore. :) Mysteries and thrillers are effortlessly easy to enjoy and disappear into, and I miss them if I go a month or two without, but I wouldn’t want a diet limited to them, no matter how fun.