What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Non fiction psychologist who meets little boy that doesn't speak

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (osherlana) | 1 comments An older book; last browsed during the 90s, possibly first piblished in 1970s. Seemed to be non-fiction. A female psychoogist tries to treat an unusual little boy who doesn't speak through imaginative play (eg miniature towns and people).
Thanks for your help.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Murphy's Boy?

Could also be something else by that author. She wrote a lot about teaching emotionally disturbed kids.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (andforamoment) | 302 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Murphy's Boy?

Could also be something else by that author. She wrote a lot about teaching emotionally disturbed kids."

I second that book

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jan 19, 2020 08:28AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments Could also be something else by that author. She wrote a lot about teaching emotionally disturbed kids."

I agree with Rainbowheart; Torey L. Hayden is a special ed teacher who specialized in selective mutism and wrote several books based on her experiences. She started publishing in the 1980s, though, not the 1970s.

I'm not sure your book is Murphy's Boy (1983), though; the subject in that book is in his teens, not what I'd call a "little boy." Somebody Else's Kids (1981) includes a seven-year old with selective mutism.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Could also maybe be A Circle of Children or another book by Mary MacCracken. She was writing in the '70s, but I don't know if any of her books involve kids not talking.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Also possibly City Kid by Mary MacCracken.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 129 comments Could be Virginia Axline's Dibs in Search of Self, although that's a little older (it was written 1964). I've read all of Torey Hayden's and Mary MacCracken's books and don't think it's either of those unless you've misremembered some details.

(By the way, if you do read 'Dibs: In Search Of Self', then be aware that it's quite controversial these days as it's now fairly clear from the description of the child that he was in fact autistic, but, since autistic spectrum disorder was not well recognised in the '60s, his differences were blamed on his mother supposedly not being loving enough. This sort of blame is a big problem that parents of autistic children have faced.)