Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Books on my Author Dashboard I did not write!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Hi, anyone have any advice on how to get books off of my author dashboard that I did not write? (Another author shares my name.) I'm David Hollander, author of L.I.E. The other books aren't mine.

Also, I need to (or would like to?) add a title, a book that's coming out in May. Advice on that would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

message 2: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 4885 comments The method GR uses to distinguish between authors with the same name is to insert multiple spaces between the first name and the last name.
You have claimed the 'default' one space profile. Goodreads has lots of automated imports from various sources. Books that are imported will always end up on that 'default' author profile.

I presently have transferred all the books that are not yours to a different profile.

You now have several options:
- You can keep the single space profile. This means that your books that are imported end up automatically on your author profile, but also means that books that are written by another David Hollander will also end up on your profile. You can ask in the Librarians Group to have them moved.
- Or you can contact GR staff through the Contact Us form or by mailing them at support (at) goodreads (dot) com and ask them to convert your current profile to a profile with multiple spaces (attention - there are already profiles with 2 and 3 spaces). Then you will have the reverse situation: no books of another David Hollander will end up on your profile, but your books that are imported will end up on the one space David Hollander profile and you'll have to ask a librarian to move the books to your profile.

I hope this rather long explanation makes some sense to you. Which of these options is the best is difficult to tell, it all depends on the number of books that you write, and the number of books that are being written by you namesakes.

Regarding your new book, you can create a book page yourself via this page or alternatively submit a request in the Adding New Books section of the Librarian Group. You must then provide the following information or a link to an acceptable source:
- book title
- author's name
- ISBN or ASIN
- publisher
- publication date
- number of pages
- format (paperback, hardcover, ebook, kindle ...)
- description
- a link to the cover on an acceptable source