Play Book Tag discussion

Pompeii
This topic is about Pompeii
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] Pompeii by Robert Harris, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by punxsygal (last edited Jan 18, 2020 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

punxsygal | 284 comments The summer of 79A.D. is hot and the water levels in the springs surrounding Pompeii and nearby towns are falling. Attilius, a young and serious engineer, has been sent by Rome to replace the missing overseer of the great Aqua Augusta Aqueduct which brings water to the region from afar. Now there seems to be a problem along its 60 mile span, somewhere up the slopes of Mt. Vesusvius. Attilius has a plan to travel to Pompeii to put together an expedition to locate and repair the aqueduct. But he finds Pompeii to be a full of corrupt officials and threats to his plans.

The book was quite interesting with its descriptions of life in the run up to the eruption of Mt. Vesusvius and its disastrous effects on Pompeii and the surrounding region. The Romans really were advanced in the engineering that had to go into the network of aqueducts they formed. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Joy D | 3417 comments Nice review! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm planning to read this one sometime this year.

message 3: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2321 comments I’ve got this on my list too - I was in my teens when I went to Pompeii and have been completely fascinated with it ever since