Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta and Proof Reading Services for 2020 by Experienced Beta Reader

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Jan 26, 2020 06:11AM) (new)

Jess | 7 comments Update: I'm all booked up for now, but if anything changes I will reach out as availability arises!

Hello all! I’m building out my portfolio for editing and beta reading and am available to offer some free services to any interested authors. I’m willing to read any genre, so shoot me a message (or leave a comment) with the synopsis of your story and we’ll chat about compatibility, expectations and timelines.

In exchange for this I’m hoping you’ll be able to provide me feedback on what worked and what could be improved on my end, and a testimonial I can put up on my website (it’s still under development). Once my website is complete, if you publish your manuscript I’d be quite happy to link to its sales page (or your author page if you’d prefer) along with posting your testimonial.

The two services I’m offering are Proof Reading and Beta Reading.

Proof Reading includes:

• Grammar, spelling and punctuation issues;
• Verb-tense agreement;
• Broken sentences
• Clean-up of dialogue tags;
• Repetition; and
• High level review of consistency and continuity in plot, details, character, etc.

Proof reading is primarily helpful for those stories just about to be published, or going through final rounds of polishing (after Beta Reading has been completed, and all revisions, edits and re-writes have been completed).

Beta Reading includes:

• Readability of your manuscript: What I loved, what could be strengthened, overall flow of your story. This can include comments on the “hook”, conflict and tension, characterization and character development, inconsistencies in plot and themes, pacing and development, setting and description, narration and POV, etc
• Reader’s Opinion: As a reader, what did I think of your plot, your characters and your writing style?
• Minor corrections: I’ll likely be unable to resist some minor punctuation and grammar corrections if they disrupt flow or are simple fixes. I won’t be doing a full proof, copy or line edit as part of this.

I’ll summarize all of this in a 3 to 5 page feedback letter, which I’ll send through with the marked up manuscript. If you have your own questionnaire that you’d like included, please send it through with your manuscript and I’ll include it in my feedback letter for you.

A little about me; I completed a double major in English and Sociology from the University of Toronto, and have plenty of experience with business and technical writing (due to my job). I’m a avid reader, and love all things sci-fi and fantasy with a dash of mystery, thriller, horror and action thrown in there for good measure. Unsurprisingly, I also love writing as a past time, with more WIPs and ideas going on at once than is likely good for me. Don’t worry - I’ll be focused on the beta and proof readings first and foremost. I know it can be frustrating to secure people for these processes and then not hear back from them. Requests will be coordinated in a first come, first served style.

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Jan 18, 2020 02:43PM) (new)

Kelly Harper | 6 comments Hi Jess,
My novel is an Adult Fantasy of 136K words. It's the first in a six-book series. I'd love to have you Beta-read from me! If you're interested feel free to message me on here and I can send you my email!
Here's a quick blurb of my novel:
Three years have passed since Lilyahna killed her father; an act only made necessary from the fall out of who and what she is: The most talented Earth Elemental with a capacity for Healing the world over. Her skill is coveted by armies in the war that plagues her medieval Kingdom, and because of it people like her are either captured and used or killed.
Magic understands intent. If you abuse your Magic, you lose either your connection with it or the connection with your soul. Lilyahna’s willing to risk that for her mother, the last of her family, to keep her safe, and the Lord that holds them both captive knows it.
When The Shadow Legion, a band of lethal soldiers, arrive and kill Lilyahna’s captor and dismantle his army, they take Lilyahna with them. This starts her down a path that will have her face a Darkness unlike anything their world has ever seen before, one that steals all light and life from everything it touches, save her.
There’s something different about Lilyahna, something she’s not yet ready to face herself because of what it could mean for the ones she loves. But ready or not, her destiny is coming.

Thanks for your time!

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott (scott_hopkins_author) | 1 comments Hi Jess,
I'm currently looking for a few more Beta Readers for a LGBT Submissive Romance we're publishing the end of April.
A brief synopsis follows.
Bianca Ristretto, a dominant, hard charging businesswoman working as an instructor at a local business school … with a secret. Ruby Phillips an innocent medical school student who needs a business class to graduate. The story revolves around their new positions as teacher and student and how it leads them into an potentially unprofessional destructive relationship but creates an opportunity for them to form a powerful merger.

I'd be happy to follow through with your requirements for a testimonial. We will be sending out signed ARC's to all of the beta readers once the final drafts are finalized and printed. Please email me at scott.hopkins@chaoticdesignspublishing.com if you're interested.

Thanks for your time.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Bird | 0 comments Hi Jess
I am looking for beta readers for my 60K YA mystery/suspense Little White Lies.

When a teen with a propensity to lie comes to the attention of the town sheriff after a local is murdered, her fibs soon create a tangled web and she finds herself in a world of trouble.

Synopsis is below. If you're interested in beta reading, please email me birdbecky@outlook.com or DM me.

Thanks
Becky

Sixteen-year-old Grace French has lied for as long as she can remember, it’s literally part of her DNA. When her mother dies, Grace goes to live with her grandmother in small-town Kelton Falls. Everyone seems to know everything about everyone. And they don’t seem to forget either, including the local sheriff. He has a history with Grace’s mom: she told lies about the sheriff when she was younger; lies her grandmother still finds hard to talk about.

When Mrs. Cheong, the town's resident diary keeper, catches Grace stealing from the church plate, Grace decides to steal back the diary before Mrs. Cheong says anything. But then Mrs. Cheong is discovered dead, one lie leads to another, and suddenly, Grace, the town freak, and the Girl Scout twins are in a heap of trouble.

With each new lie, Grace’s life spirals out of control. But the truth always has a way of coming out. And when it does, Grace is left to question if little white lies really are so harmless after all.

message 5: by Keira (new)

Keira O'shea | 5 comments Hello Jess,

I am looking for Beta Readers for my 72K fantasy novel. Here is a synopsis:

Haphazard student Violet wakes up in a stranger's house and quickly learns that she is no longer in her world, but Initia, a place where spells and magic are part of everyday life. Two incredible mages, Caine and Alice are already on the run. They have ripped her from their king's grasp in an attempt to persuade Violet to accept the unbelievable magic simmering within her.
With only her kidnappers words to go by, Violet sets off to gain control of herself before her enemies steal away the power she barely knows. Will she return home with the risk of putting her loved ones in danger or embrace the secrets within this fantasy world?

I would love to give you a testimonial afterwards. You can message me on here or my email is keiramoshea@gmail.com if this is be something you are interested in.

Thank you,
Keira O'shea

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam (aboynamedblue) | 4 comments Hello,

I might be barking up the wrong tree as I don't have a manuscript, but I have two flash fiction stories that I am trying to find another beta reader or two for. Both between 900 and 1000 words. One is Sci-Fi, the other is a fairy tale. I am hoping to begin submitting both of these stories to markets following this round of beta reads. If you are interested, please DM. Thank you :)

-Adam

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Jess,
I hava 62 000 word YA fantasy.
I'll attach the query blurb and you can decide if it is something you'd like to beta
‘All’s not well in Everwell’ is a YA fantasy of 62 000 words.
No oracle chose him. No king claims him as a bastard son. A tinkerer rather than a terminator, he is the default setting in a high stakes game. Silvanius von Stumpff, failed fashionista and novice sorcerer of average abilities is currently sent home on leave (read suspended) from the academy of Conjurations and Magicks. Which is a blessing for the queendom of Everwell.
His beloved queendom is about to be invaded by a northern prince and a horde of unstoppable mammosaurs. Concealed within the invader’s ranks is an unbeatable alien mage who plays a double game. The fate of Everwell and the world will reside in the hands of a beta mage in an alpha confrontation. Luckily, Silvie is not alone. The kickass princesses of House Roland and a pair of bling-loving, delinquent dragons will guide his hand. While a mad mage, trapped inside his familiar, helps and hinder him.
War. Death. Exploding pumpkins. His own twisted foot. Silvie must survive them all and be prepared to sacrifice himself and those he loves to fulfil his duty.
It has elements of whimsy. Of course/feedback and a testimonial would be reciprocated.
If you're interested please email richarddevora(at)xtra(dot)co.nz

cheers
Richard

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Plowman | 18 comments Hi Jess, Thank you for your generous offer to beta read. Am sending you synopsis by direct message. Let me know if you are interested.
Robert

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments I'm looking for readers for my Paranormal Erotic Romance. It's 53k words. I do not currently have a great synopsis as I am working on that right now. I'm not sure why a few paragraphs is more difficult than an entire novel! LOL!

Message me if interested.

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana | 5 comments This sounds super super helpful! Just sent you a PM.

message 11: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 125 comments hi Jess,

"A Weekend Trip from the Afterlife" tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused natural disasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can still live their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.

The world has gone through a natural cataclysm and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers lie more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.

Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, and love.

The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 56,000(ish) words and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince".

I can send you the MS if it picks your interest.

Hope to hear from you.

Cordially,

Ali Benice

message 12: by Sandor (new)

Sandor | 81 comments Hello Jess,

THE WORLD IS DYING
The Universal War has claimed every life it has touched for seventeen years. King Kerrasar has nearly won; soon he will reign supreme in a world where no human, wizard or any creature will be safe.
The fires of freedom are dying out. One spark of hope breathes. Its keepers live on the Capital, Planet Earth and as the universes drown in the darkness the truth burns brighter. The word of destiny is promising a quest, an awakening of gods and the return of a legendary warrior.
The world was not built for heroes. When your whole life has been in the shadows it is hard to kindle your spark. But the world's fate depends on that.

My 105K YA novel is a Fantasy with elements of Science Fiction in its final draft. A story of war, vengeance and change. It would be lovely if you can give me a beta read and I would gladly leave you a review. If you are interested please email me at ssevov17@yahoo.com
Best of wishes,
Stefan

message 13: by David (new)

David Wilson | 101 comments Hi Jess,

I have an 85K historical fantasy. It has been proof read once already but I made a few minor changes and would like it proof read again for any inconsistencies or issues they may have slipped through.

Are you up for the challenge of a second proof read? I would love to hear from you. I can PM you my email but you are set to private currently

David.

message 14: by Ella (new)

Ella Quarmby | 9 comments Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you could take a look at my 70,000-word young adult science fiction novel. I have just finished my second edit and am in desperate need for some fresh eyes.
If you're interested, please email me at q.writing3@gmail.com and I will give you more info.
Thanks!
EQ

message 15: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Kaldanis (littleredbek) | 2 comments Hi Jess,
I'm looking for a beta reader for a completed YA Adventure Fantasy of 75K words.

" Born into a world driven by magical elements, and the power of the ones who wield it, Aardriyah has always been of no importance to anyone of importance. Aardriyah's world is suddenly turned upside down as she sets out on an unplanned adventure to flee a mysterious figure hunting her down for a reason she's yet to uncover."

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Brown | 68 comments Hi, Jess,
If you're still looking, I'm looking for a BetaReader (or two) for "Fallout," my 109,000 word adult near-future science fiction.

Blurb: Tenjō Edwards, a husband, father, and professor of History who was denied tenure despite his expertise in Cold War nuclear strategy, has opened a martial arts school in a suburb of a near-future Los Angeles. When a nuclear bomb detonates across the city, Tenjō knows the survival of his daughters and the others sheltering at his dojo requires keeping them together. However, their safety isn’t enough when his wife is lost somewhere deep in the evacuation zone, compelling him to leave the security of his dojo to find her, even if it means navigating a maze of radioactive fallout, martial law, and opportunistic thugs.

Agent: None/need at least one more big revision before I'm ready to query.

Last books read: Revenger, Alastair Reynolds (2016), Fortress of Eagles, C.J. Cherryh (1998), The Book of Phoenix, Nnedi Okorafor (2010/2015), FALL, Neal Stephenson (2019)

Books that define me? King's Gunslinger, CJ Cherryh's Cyteen, Gaiman's American Gods, KS Robinson's Three Californias, but I've also loved lately reading Leckie, Adeyemi, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, Valdes, Chakraborty, N.K. Jemisin, and others.

Email me if interested: tonchyaku@gmail.com

Thanks!
Robert

message 17: by Rabitini (new)

Rabitini | 4 comments Hello Jess,
I would really appreciated it if you you took the time to read my manuscript!
It’s a 83K Fantasy novel.

🍃A CROWN OF LILIES 🍃

It’s a Great Gatsby x fairy tale retelling set at a Medieval Convention on a remote Swedish island. 🇸🇪🏰✨💕⚔️👑
Additional thing:
- It’s based on a Swedish fairy tale Agneta and the Sea King

Seminar Tutor Agneta’s feet never stop bleeding for reasons neither she nor doctors can explain. One day she receives an email offering her students to volunteer at Gotland’s annual Medieval Week in return for recommendation letters from a leading academic with all expenses taken care of. There is only one condition, that Agneta joins them on the trip and supervises the students across several activities.
Medieval Week is under fire, it’s mysterious organizer Jon Loke is accused of being frivolous because of the amount of money spent on a festival, and all the local museums are attacking him for twisting history into a very unusual, fantastical direction…
But if Jon Loke’s version of Gotland’s history is offensive and clearly fictional, then why does Agneta feel so drawn to it in a way she can only feel but not explain?

COMMENT if you are interested

message 18: by Julian (new)

Julian Hart | 5 comments Jess

Are you still looking for books to beta read?

I am looking for people to review the book that I've just finished drafting. It's technically non-fiction - a work of philosophy (of sorts) - but is specifically written for a lay audience and represents a new way of looking at human development. Your background in sociology would make you well-placed to be able to review. However, I'm not looking for any technical critique, but just a view on whether it is readable and engaging ... and makes sense to an outside world.

Kind regards

Jules

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick | 27 comments Hi Jess,

Apologies if you are still booked up but thought I would ask just in case.

I have a novel that I am hoping for a beta to read before I am hopefully able to take it further. Any feedback that is not my own would be appreciated.

Blurb - The White, with its relentless cold and ice, would ravage the land of Arden for the first three years of every five. It was with those ominous snow clouds cresting the mountains of Messemmi, that nine-year-old orphan Priya, and her younger brother Reed, passed into the capital. They unwittingly stepped into a world of poverty and privilege . A world of muskets and swords . A world of ambition and darkness. It was a world in which Priya and Reed would find themselves fighting for both their lives and their freedom. An unfolding battle that would see them at odds with Arden's Emir and his army of Brass. With a lot of luck, and a little magi, it was a world that Priya and Reed were destined to change forever, or die trying.

Please let me know if this is anything you would be interested in reading.

Many thanks

Nick