Serial Readers Unite! discussion

Archive > Pick My February -2020

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 2865 comments Mod
Sometimes we all get stuck on what to read. To start a new series, finish a quick trilogy, make progress in that super long one, etc. Or we love fun ways to learn what our fellow readers have enjoyed. Then you have come to the right place.

Sign up to have a fellow group member go through your TBR under the "So many To Read" folder. Or link to a shelf, spreadsheet, etc (please make use that any link you provide only offers books that are part of a series-no standalones)

You will then be assigned a person for which you will pick TWO different series for your assigned person to try and read from their personal list.
*So Person A might pick for person E, E might pick for C, etc.
*You must be able to pick for your buddy before the new month begins. Buddy's will be made approximately 5 days before the month is over. Each month's thread will specify dates.

You will then try to read at least 1 book from one of the two series that were picked for you.

Share your thoughts as of after reading.
Re-reads of a series are okay. They are not picking a specific book, just the series. Maybe you need to reread the most recent book to continue or just want to start over.

*When picking series be sure there is a difference for options. Such as two different genres. Or maybe one MG/YA and one adult. One long book might be paired with a short book, etc. This is to ensure that if a reader is not in the mood or doesn't feel like undertaking one, they other might feel more appealing.

If you are interested in participating please sign up here. If using something besides your thread under "So many To Read" be sure to link up whatever shelf, list, etc you want them to pick from.
Buddy's should be posted by the 26th or 27th.
Be sure to look at your buddy's thread, list, sheet, etc. and post your picks for them before February 1st.

*If, for any reason, your picks don't work out for you one month it is okay. Hopefully you'll try the next. Life happens. Many of us are mood readers, or have other challenge prompts, etc. This is very low key!

For each pick made for you that you read for you will receive 5 points toward the annual scores. So you can earn up to 10 points!

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:30PM) (new)

If you wish to be on an auto-sign-up each month let me know.

Participants:
Jamie https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... **Please pick from the first 7 pages.**
Lily*** https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Aly*** https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Jammin Jenny*** https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Beth: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Sans: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:32PM) (new)

Whom to Pick For:

Jamie => Sans
Lily => Beth
Aly => Jenny
Jenny => Lily
Beth => Jamie
Sans => Aly

message 4: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 75 comments I want to be on auto-signup.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jammin Jenny wrote: "I want to be on auto-signup.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Added. :) I will automatically add you each month. :)

message 7: by Sans (last edited Jan 19, 2020 10:07PM) (new)

Sans | 836 comments I'm in, thanks Jamie!

Trying to see if my select multiple shelves thing will work. It'd be easier if any items on this link are selected. Most of the books on my in progress shelf in this group were sold off when I moved last year. These are the books I still own and can easily pick up.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Sans wrote: "I'm in, thanks Jamie!

Trying to see if my select multiple shelves thing will work. It'd be easier if any items on this link are selected. Most of the books on my in progress shelf in this group we..."

That is cool! Never seen that before! How did you pull 2+ shelves?!

message 9: by Jamie (new)

THE VIRTUAL HAT HAS SPOKEN AND PAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE.
Find your name and follow the arrow to see whom you pick for. Links are in the 2nd message.

Jamie => Sans
Lily => Beth
Aly => Jenny
Jenny => Lily
Beth => Jamie
Sans => Aly

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Sans, for you I pick the Timeless Fairy Tales Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6) by K.M. Shea series and Fruits Basket Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya .

The first looks like lots of fun and the manga series I adore! At least what I have read so far of it...

message 11: by Sans (last edited Jan 25, 2020 10:15PM) (new)

Sans | 836 comments Jamie wrote: "That is cool! Never seen that before! How did you pull 2+ shelves?!"

When you go to the My Books section and you see the list of your shelf names on the left hand side. Pick a shelf you'd like to see. Once it loads, scroll back to the end of your shelf listing and you'll see a new option called "select multiple". Click on that, then click on the plus sign of the other shelf you'd like to see.

So in my case, I selected 'series-to-read', then hit "select multiple" and the plus sign next to 'own-it' and it narrowed the results down to books that are both shelves!

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Jamie wrote: "Sans, for you I pick the Timeless Fairy Tales Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6) by K.M. Shea series and Fruits Basket Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya.

The first looks like lots of fun and the manga s..."

Woohoooo, thanks Jamie! I've been looking for an excuse to get back to these two!

message 13: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Jan 25, 2020 10:24PM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 75 comments Lily, for you I pick:

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi - I loved this book and the series continues to be good - plus its been on your shelf for a long time
Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) by Tamora Pierce - It's one of the highest # series books on your shelf, so this should help you finish it, plus it has a high average Goodreads rating

message 14: by Jamie (new)

thanks! I have my physical and kindle books listed separately but it’s nice to see them together for making a tbr.

message 15: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Aly, I'm picking Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore and Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2) by Mary Calmes for you. I finished Bitterblue because it was a monthly pick for me here (it worked!) and I've been curious about the Change of Heart series.

message 16: by Lily (new)

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 85 comments Beth, I’m picking These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2) by Tarun Shanker and Spectacle (Menagerie, #2) by Rachel Vincent for you. Hope you enjoy!

message 17: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments I forgot I'm automatically signed up which is great because I thought I missed the sign ups lol.
Thanks Sans! I'll try to actually get to these in February. January was/is rough

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Sans wrote: "Aly, I'm picking Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore and Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2) by Mary Calmes for you. I finished Bitterblue because it was a monthly pick for me here (it worked!) and I've been curious abo..."

I really like the first Change of Heart book, but not as audio. The narrator is awful. I do need to finish Bitterblue, especially since it's the last in the series.

message 19: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Jenny, for you I picked Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2) by Cleo Coyle and Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant . I've wanted to read the Gone series and I like coffeehouse mysteries

message 20: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 75 comments Thanks Aly!

message 21: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Stepping in as it looks like Jamie still needs some picks.

Jamie, you wanted to get back in Star Wars, here's your chance! I've picked Rule of Two (Star Wars Darth Bane, #2) by Drew Karpyshyn for your SW fix and to go a little off script for the usual February/romance types, Monstress, Vol. 2 The Blood by Marjorie M. Liu .

message 22: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Good luck with your February reads, everyone! There are some fun picks here, I hope we all enjoy them!

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Sweet! Thanks!

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth (artemishi) | 341 comments Lily wrote: "Beth, I’m picking These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2) by Tarun Shanker and Spectacle (Menagerie, #2) by Rachel Vincent for you. Hope you enjoy!"

Thanks so much!

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth (artemishi) | 341 comments Sans wrote: "Stepping in as it looks like Jamie still needs some picks.

Jamie, you wanted to get back in Star Wars, here's your chance! I've picked Rule of Two (Star Wars Darth Bane, #2) by Drew Karpyshyn for your SW fix and to go a ..."

I'm so sorry- I've been slammed at work and didn't check Goodreads until just now. I promise I'll be better in the future. Sorry, Jamie!

message 26: by Jamie (new)

No worries. Life happens to all of us.

message 27: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Oof, I've had to DNF Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6) by K.M. Shea . It just did not engage me.

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Sans wrote: "Oof, I've had to DNF Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6) by K.M. Shea. It just did not engage me."

Oh, no fun. Sorry. I figured that would be a safe series after 5 other volumes. Give me a sec. I'll pick something else out for you then.

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie wrote: "Sans wrote: "Oof, I've had to DNF Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6) by K.M. Shea. It just did not engage me."

Oh, no fun. Sorry. I figured that would be a safe series after 5 other volumes. Give me a sec. I'l..."

How about The Black Gryphon by Mercedes lackey? If you are up for it.

message 30: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Thanks Jamie, I'll start that this weekend! And yeah, I thought it'd be safe too! Either I was a very different person when I read the previous ones or they're just not as good as they used to be.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Sans wrote: "Thanks Jamie, I'll start that this weekend! And yeah, I thought it'd be safe too! Either I was a very different person when I read the previous ones or they're just not as good as they used to be."

I've lost interest in series/authors over logn periods of time. Just something about their style no longer appeals to me or something.

message 32: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments That's exactly it. And this group is a good way for me to get back to those books and decide if I should read them or delete them.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Anyone get to their books yet? I haven't. It's been a rough month to read. Been struggling.

message 34: by Lily (new)

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 85 comments I’ve started on Lioness Rampant but I’m stressing over the Author challenge currently. It’s more important to me to read specific authors for the challenge and unfortunately the books chosen don’t fit :(

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Lily wrote: "I’ve started on Lioness Rampant but I’m stressing over the Author challenge currently. It’s more important to me to read specific authors for the challenge and unfortunately the books chosen don’t ..."

No problem. :) I fully understand. All the challenges here are meant to be more relaxed anyways. I focus there more too! :) And Jenny is does a TON of challenges and even mods a bunch so yeah...

message 36: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments I've started both Black Gryphon and FuruBa 1, but have not gotten very far in either. ^^;

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Haha, beating me. lol. I got Monstress from the library and pulled Banes books from my shelves but haven't had time for either. Crazy Crazy month!

message 38: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments I have Bitterblue but haven't started it yet. Probably won't get to it until March ahhh

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Guess I am not the only one pushing my reads back. :)

message 40: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Aly, it took me forever to get to Bitterblue too. I ended up liking it, so that was positive. I hope you make it!

message 41: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments That's good!

message 42: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Well, I managed to finish volume 1 of Fruits Basket! I'm on page 82 of Black Gryphon, so that's not going to get done this month. Oops.

message 43: by Jamie (new)

I think you are the only one to read a pick this month.

This month just got away from me and with different challenges I just could not get books to work together.

message 44: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments I'm starting to feel like I'm sliding into a slump. I'm rereading old books but whenever I pick up something new, I put it down after a few minutes. It's REALLY bad with my comic books. I have a literal box and a half of floppies that I haven't read. We're going back to September with some of these series. Sooooo much catching up to do.