The Challenge Factory discussion

Lost in Space Reading Challenge > Gabriella in the Wolf Spirit

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13215 comments Mod
description

description'LOST IN SPACE Reading Challenge'description

Challenge Begins: January 1, 2020
Challenge Ends: when you finish your journey

✪ After signing up, you will receive your own thread.
✪ In that thread, there will be a list of the planets in our Solar System and our Sun.
✪ Each planet and the Sun will have a set of tasks.
✪ In your thread you will request the tasks for a specific planet or the Sun. The planets and the Sun can be requested in any order.
✪You will chose one task to read for that planet or the Sun and then report on the reporting thread when you have completed the assignment.
✪ In your report you will request the next planet or the Sun.
✪ You continue until you have read a task for each of the planets and the Sun.

Please follow this format for your Completion Posts.
Completion Report:
Planet or the Sun:
Task:
Book:
Author:
Date Read:
How My Book Fit the Task:
Next Planet or the Sun:

descriptionRules:
Books must be 140 pages.
Re-reads and audio books are okay.
Page count for audio books will be determined by the hardcover issue. If there is no hardcover, then paperback issue. Where there is more than one edition, the one with the highest number of ratings will be used.

message 2: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Apr 01, 2020 09:55PM) (new)

List of Planets and the Sun

Pluto
Neptune
Uranus
Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
Earth
Mercury
Venus
the Sun

message 3: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Can I start at Pluto please? Gonna work my way in.

message 4: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "Can I start at Pluto please? Gonna work my way in."

Good plan. That way you won't get lost :)

message 5: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Pluto:
1. Read a science fiction book.
2. Pluto is also a Disney character. Read a book that was made into a movie.
3. Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930. Read a book with an author's name starts with 'C' or 'T'.
4. The New Horizons spacecraft performed a flyby of Pluto on July 14, 2015. Read a book first published in 2015.
5. Pluto was the 9th planet from the Sun. Read the 9th book in a series.

message 6: by Gabriella (last edited Jan 19, 2020 08:41AM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments You never know I tend to get lost just for fun. You find the best things that way sometimes :)

Completion Report:
Planet or the Sun: Pluto
Task: Read a science fiction book
Book: Until Death Do Us Part 10
Author:Hiroshi Takashige
Date Read: 19/1
How My Book Fit the Task: use of AI computers, monomolecular layers allowing to cut through molecules, precognition and ultrasound waves projected onto a blind mans reticles so he can see outlines.
Next Planet or the Sun: Neptune

message 7: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "You never know I tend to get lost just for fun. You find the best things that way sometimes :)"

That's true!

message 8: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Neptune:
2. Neptune is also the Roman god of the sea. Read a book with water on the cover.
3. There was a heated nationalistic rivalry between the French and the British over who deserved credit for the discovery. Read a book set in France or Great Britain.
4. Shortly after its discovery, Neptune was referred to simply as "the planet exterior to Uranus". Read a book that has been published under a different name.
5. Neptune is the 8th planet from the Sun. Read the 8th book in a series.

message 9: by Gabriella (last edited Jan 25, 2020 03:58PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments I wasn’t sure which topic to put this under so went for England as it is time travelling historians based in England but the actual missions are all over the place including niniva and Scottland.

Completion Report:
Planet or the Sun: Neptune
Task: sci-fi and Set in Great Britian
Book: A Symphony of Echoes
Author: Jodi Taylor
Date Read: 24/1
How My Book Fit the Task: Based in rural England near Rushford, also about Time travelling historians.
Next Planet or the Sun: Uranus

(No ur anus) sorry couldn’t resist.

message 10: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "I wasn’t sure which topic to put this under..."

Time travel is science fiction so you could have put it under #1, as well :)

message 11: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Uranus:
2. Uranus is called the "ice giant". Read a book set during the wintertime.
3. In 1986, images from Voyager 2 showed Uranus as an almost featureless planet. Read a book without a person on the cover.
4. The Uranian system has a unique configuration because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways. Its north and south poles, therefore, lie where most other planets have their equators. Read a book set in a different hemisphere than you.
5. Uranus is the 7th planet from the Sun. Read the 7th book in a series.

message 12: by Gabriella (last edited Jan 25, 2020 04:00PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Cool i am glad to know i can put it under two different headings as was having the same challenge with this one. :) really enjoying this challenge.

Completion Report:
Planet or the Sun: Uranus
Task:read a sci-fi book and no people on cover
Book: Fahrenheit 451
Author: Ray Bradbury
Date Read: 25/1
How My Book Fit the Task: dystopian future, helicopter cars, earbugs for tv, 3d tv, anomatronic dogs
Next Planet or the Sun: Saturn

message 13: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "really enjoying this challenge."

I'm glad to hear that. I'm creating a similar challenge based on the Scooby Doo cartoons. Can you believe they've been around for 50 years!?!

message 14: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Saturn:
2. Saturn is known as the "Ringed Planet". Read a book where the main character is married.
3. The Cassini–Huygens space probe entered orbit around Saturn on 1 July 2004. Read a book that was published in July.
4. The continued exploration of Saturn is still considered to be a viable option for NASA as part of their ongoing New Frontiers program of missions. Read a book by an author that is new to you.
5. Saturn is the 6th planet from the Sun. Read the 6th book in a series.

message 15: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments I can’t believe it has taken this long to get back into it. Stupid brain seems to just forget it enjoys reading. There may be a few in quick succession coming up as almost finished 2 more sci-fi books.

Completion Report Wolf Spirit
Planet or the Sun: Saturn
Task: Sci-fi book and new author
Book: T-Rexes & Tax Law
Author: Rachel Ford
Date Read: 11/2
How My Book Fit the Task: Time travel with alternating timelines
Next Planet or the Sun: Jupiter

message 16: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "I can’t believe it has taken this long to get back into it. Stupid brain seems to just forget it enjoys reading."

I tend to go through times where I only want to re-read my favorites.

message 17: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Jupiter:
2. Jupiter is the largest planet in the Solar System. Read a book with 400+ pages.
3. The best known feature of Jupiter is the Great Red Spot, a persistent storm. It rotates counterclockwise, with a period of about six days. Read a book from start to finish within 6 days.
4. In 1955, bursts of radio signals were detected coming from Jupiter. Listen to an audio book.
5. Jupiter is the 5th planet from the Sun. Read the 5th book in a series.

message 18: by Gabriella (last edited Feb 15, 2020 04:02PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments I find I either reread my favourites, read nothing at all or plot through a whole load of shorts or kids books as I can’t focus at all on long plots. Sigh makes a lot of Sci-fi like the Horus Heresy hard

Completion Report:Wolf spirit
Planet or the Sun: Jupiter
Task: Sci-fi
Book: Lost Bullet
Author: Malcolm Rose
Date Read: 15/2
How My Book Fit the Task: Alternate reality, ID monitoring, Forensic robot companions with lasers
Next Planet or the Sun (if applicable): Mars

message 19: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Mars:
2. Mars is called the "Red Planet". Read a book with a red cover.
3. The fashionable idea that Mars was populated by intelligent Martians exploded in the late 19th century. Read a historical book.
4. Mars is scarred by a number of impact craters: a total of 43,000 craters have been found. Read a book with a scarred main character.
5. Mars is the 4th planet from the Sun. Read the 4th book in a series.

message 20: by Gabriella (last edited Feb 26, 2020 10:38PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Completion Report: Wolf Spirit
Planet or the Sun: Mars
Task: Sci-fi
Book: All Systems Red
Author: Martha Wells
Date Read: 27/2
How My Book Fit the Task: Advanced AI programming in androids and alien planet surveillance and exploration.
Next Planet or the Sun: Earth

message 21: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Earth:
1. Read a science fiction book set on Earth.
2. Earth is the only astronomical object known to harbor life. Read a book where a baby is born.
3. The Moon is an astronomical body that orbits Earth as its only natural satellite. Read a spin-off book.
4. As of April 2018, there are 1,886 operational, human-made satellites orbiting Earth. Read a book that has more than 1,886 ratings.
5. Earth the is 3rd planet from the Sun. Read the 3rd book in a series.

message 22: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Dang i read them in the wrong order as the other book would have fit earth far better... sigh.

Completion Report: Wolf Spirit
Planet or the Sun: Earth
Task: As of April 2018, there are 1,886 operational, human-made satellites orbiting Earth. Read a book that has more than 1,886 ratings.
Book: Will Save the Galaxy for Food
Author: Yahtzee Croshaw
Date Read: 24/2
How My Book Fit the Task: Sci-fi space pilots book with 3,706 ratings
Next Planet or the Sun: Venus

message 23: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "Dang i read them in the wrong order as the other book would have fit earth far better... sigh."

Oops :)

message 24: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Venus:
2. Venus is shrouded by an opaque layer of highly reflective clouds. Read a book with clouds on the cover.
3. Venus was the first planet visited by a spacecraft. Plans have been proposed for rovers or more complex missions, but they are hindered by Venus's hostile surface conditions. Read a book set during a battle or war.
4. Venus is similar to Earth in size and mass, and is often described as Earth's "sister" or "twin". Read a book about sisters or twins.
5. Venus is the 2nd planet from the Sun. Read the 2nd book in a series.

message 25: by Gabriella (last edited Feb 26, 2020 10:40PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments I had to exchange a book out as I realised that Alien Commander's Bride was only 88 pages and I honestly forgot it had to be a minimum of 140 so have exchanged it with All Systems Red. Sorry! :(

message 26: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "I had to exchange a book out as I realised that Alien Commander's Bride was only 88 pages and I honestly forgot it had to be a minimum of 140 so have exchanged it with [book:All Sys..."

Thanks for fixing it, Gabriella :)

message 27: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Completion Report:
Planet or the Sun: Venus
Task: Sci-fi, 2nd book in series
Book: Will Destroy the Galaxy for Cash
Author: Yahtzee Croshaw
Date Read: 7/3
How My Book Fit the Task: Intergalactic travel, space pilots, alien races, interplanetary problems, cryogenics.
Next Planet or the Sun: Mercury

I know it says it is only 31 pages but the story is 10 hours long and the paperback will not be out until later this year. He often does this given it is similar in length to his last book i am guessing it is nearer 300 pages.

message 28: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

Mercury:
2. Mercury is the smallest and innermost planet in the Solar System. Read a book that has 150 - 199 pages.
3. The planet has no known natural satellites. Read a standalone book.
4. The first spacecraft to visit Mercury was NASA's Mariner 10 (1974–1975). Read a book first published in 2010.
5. Mercury is the planet closest to the Sun. Read the 1st book in a series.

message 29: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Sorry for late report Corona making work hell.

Planet or the Sun: Mercury
Task: Read a sci-fi book
Book: A Second Chance
Date Read: 17/3
How My Book Fit the Task: time travel and alternate dimensions
Next Planet or the Sun: Sun

message 30: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "Sorry for late report Corona making work hell."

No worries. Life is tough these days.

message 31: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

description

the Sun:
2. The Sun is gradually becoming hotter. Read a book with a person on the cover that you consider hot.
3. The Sun is a G-type main-sequence star. Read a book whose title begins with a 'G' (ignoring 'a', 'an' and 'the').
4. The Sun does not have a definite boundary. Read a book where the main character travels to a different country.
5. The Sun has been regarded by some cultures as a deity. Read a book that has been shelved as 'Mythology'.

message 32: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Challenge completed 2/4/20. Reached the sun and destruction of the ship. That was really fun and may play through again just as a personal thing aim for more of the targets. :)

Planet or the Sun: Sun
Task: Sci-fi book, travel different countrys
Book: A Trail Through Time
Date Read: 31/3
How My Book Fit the Task: travelled to Egypt and through time
Next Planet or the Sun: Completed

message 33: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Gabriella wrote: "That was really fun and may play through again just as a personal thing aim for more of the targets. :)"

Feel free to play through again. Would it interest you to know that I'll probably post a similar challenge based on Scooby-Doo at the end of the month?

message 34: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments Oohhh scooby dooby doo. Most definitely I Am most definitely up for that. It sounds amazing :D I loved Scooby Doo it was a great one for me.

message 35: by Gabriella (last edited Jun 04, 2021 03:58PM) (new)

Gabriella | 252 comments 1/4 till 27/3/21
Min 140 pages

★the Sun:
★1. Read a science fiction book. No Time Like the Past 11/4
★2. Read a book with a person on the cover that you consider hot. Badger to the Bone 1/5
★3. Read a book whose title begins with a 'G' (ignoring 'a', 'an' and 'the'). Ghost in the Flames 29/7
★4. Read a book where the main character travels to a different country. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 7/6
★5. Read a book that has been shelved as 'Mythology'. Fantasy Lover 30/8

★Mercury:
★1. Read a science fiction book. Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare, Tome 14 24/4
★2. Read a book that has 150 - 199 pages. 死がふたりを分かつまで 17 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 24/4
★3. Read a standalone book. Paramedics in Stitches 13/7
★4. Read a book first published in 2010. Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare, Tome 12 21/4
★5. Read the 1st book in a series. How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf 16/4

★Venus:
★1. Read a science fiction book. Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare, Tome 15 24/4
★2. Read a book with clouds on the cover. Magic Steps 27/5
★3. Read a book set during a battle or war. 死がふたりを分かつまで 23 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 23 22/4
★4. Read a book about sisters or twins.The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires 12/6
★5. Read the 2nd book in a series. The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf 16/4

★Earth:
★1. Read a science fiction book set on Earth. Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare, Tome 16 24/4
★2. Read a book where a baby is born. This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor 11/7
★3. Read a spin-off book. Here There Be Gerblins 19/8
★4. Read a book that has more than 1,886 ratings. The Magic in the Weaving 28/4
★5. Read the 3rd book in a series. How to Run with a Naked Werewolf 24/4

★Mars:
★1. Read a science fiction book.Until Death Do Us Part 18 25/4
★2. Read a book with a red cover. Ghost in the Blood 9/8
★3. Read a historical book. The Nazi Hunters 1/6
★4. Read a book with a scarred main character.Poison Study 4/5
★5. Read the 4th book in a series. The Healing in the Vine 23/5

★Jupiter:
★1. Read a science fiction book. Until Death Do Us Part Vol. 19 25/4
★2. Read a book with 400+ pages. The Little Café at the End of the Pier 15/4
★3. Read a book from start to finish within 6 days. Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare, Tome 13 21/4
★4. Listen to an audio book. The Rithmatist 21/5
★5. Read the 5th book in a series. Where the Wild Things Bite 22/7

★Saturn:
★1. Read a science fiction book.死がふたりを分かつまで 20 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 20 26/4
★2. Read a book where the main character is married. Strangeways: A Prison Officer's Story 24/8
★3. Read a book that was published in July. 死がふたりを分かつまで 25 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 25 28/4
★4. Read a book by an author that is new to you. Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas 13/4
★5. Read the 6th book in a series. Wolf Pack's Omega 5/4

★Uranus:
★1. Read a science fiction book. 死がふたりを分かつまで 21 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 21 26/4
★2. Read a book set during the wintertime. The Ruins of Gorlan 7/8
★3. Read a book without a person on the cover. Deicide 3/5
★4. Read a book set in a different hemisphere than you. The 78-Storey Treehouse 5/8
★5. Read the 7th book in a series. Dragon Weyr's Omega 7/4

★Neptune:
★1. Read a science fiction book. 死がふたりを分かつまで 22 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 22 26/4
★2. Read a book with water on the cover. Not Your Prince Charming 18/4
★3. Read a book set in France or Great Britain. Peter Pan 26/5
★4. Read a book that has been published under a different name.Dark Hunger 8/8
★5. Read the 8th book in a series. Dungeon Crawl 27/9

★Pluto:
★1. Read a science fiction book. 死がふたりを分かつまで 26 Shi ga Futari o Wakatsu Made 26 28/4
★2. Read a book that was made into a movie. Stardust 27/3/21
★3. Read a book with an author's name starts with 'C' or 'T'.The Storm Keeper's Island 19/8
★4. Read a book first published in 2015. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? 9/5
★5. Read the 9th book in a series. River of No Return 26/10