Play Book Tag discussion

Golden State
This topic is about Golden State
January 2020: Thriller > Golden State by Ben Winters- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jen K | 1408 comments The previous nation was poisoned by lies and so the new State is built on a literal foundation of truths and protection of the "Objectively So". Truth is maintained with "captures" videoing everyone everywhere to verify truths. All citizens are required to record their days including all conversations stamped as true at each interaction. Lazlo Ratesic works in the Department of Speculation as a Speculator. He is one of a group of people with an innate sense enabling him to feel falsehoods and anomalies and can speculate as what may have truly happened. He is sent to investigate a death that may involve such anomalies which sends him down a path seeking a much larger truth than the initial investigation.

I really enjoyed the world building details of the state and the need for citizens to share facts with others when meeting. It is quirky and fun trivia. The case to solve keeps the story moving and I liked Lazlo despite the constant reminders of him being "gross" and unlikable. I was pretty hooked but the ending went a bit off track for me. Again it was a bit too much at once, tying up connections and leaving it all in a bit of a "huh, what just happened and why". I really don't get the pumpkin scene at all. Overall I really enjoyed the story.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve got this on my list. Thanks for the review.

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3405 comments This is one that isn't officially on my tbr, but I would like to read sometime. More interested now that I know the premise. Sounds very interesting.