What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Monsters in the Outfield (Creepy Creatures Club, #1)
This topic is about Monsters in the Outfield
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids series : 80s, Scholastic Books, about a book club for kids who like Scary Stories. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Lopez | 6 comments The book series was about a group of kids who went to a school together and form a club that read scary stories or books or like monsters or something like that. Each book was paperback and would have a unique monster on the back you could cut out and collect: for the valentine's day one there was a 'heart-octopus monster'. The main character was a boy who had a crush on a girl with dark hair and he loved his mother's creamed spinach. Please msg me if you can, it's driving me insane!

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19017 comments Were they picture books or novels?

Were there actual monsters, or was everything realistic?

message 3: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Lopez | 6 comments No they were written stories about the kids going to the school, there were no real monsters, the children had a book club or afterschool club where they would read scary books or share scary stories from what I remember. There was an illustration every chapter if I remember right with pencil drawn simplistic illustrations showing the characters- they had an early nickelodeon 80s kind of look to them. Simple features and line drawings. Like an image of the creamed spinach on a plate and him looking happy and his moms face 'floating' behind him, etc. Another drawing had them at a party or something and he got kissed by the girl or made her cry or something like that, etc. -- the stories were about the kids and their lives but the thing the shared was their 'scary book club' at school and friendships.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19017 comments Kinda reminds me of the Polk Street School books, but I don't think there was any focus on monsters. The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room is the first in the series.

message 5: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Lopez | 6 comments Yes, the type of storytelling seems very similar. It's not that one, but definitely closer to home than other people have guessed in the past.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19017 comments Hey, I think I found it!

The Creepy Creatures Club series. Monsters in the Outfield is the first book.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19017 comments Still out there?

I'm pretty positive these are your books.

message 8: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Lopez | 6 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Still out there?

I'm pretty positive these are your books."

YES YES YES!! Thank you so much, sorry been AWOL from this site for a bit and didn't get the email notice. THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH! This is pure nostalgia. I appreciate it so much!!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Great. Glad you found your book series, R.A. Thanks for the update.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19017 comments Awesome, very happy to help out!