MMM Racial Justice Book Group discussion

Event information

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) Fort Vancouver Library is doing an annual event called Revolutionary Reads (like Everybody Reads in Portland). This year's book is So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. Book discussions will be held at the main libraries and branches in March (I will go to the Tuesday, March 10 discussion at the Cascade Park branch). There will be free books handed out at various branches, I think in March, in case you want a copy. Library cards are free to people who live in the greater Portland area. On April 7, 7 p.m. at the Kiggins theater, the author will be in Vancouver to discuss the book. I think I've seen Elizabeth and Lori mention that they've read this book, but it's my first time reading it and I just wanted to alert people about the author coming to speak in case you have not heard her. I saw that the author has a new book being released in December 2020 called Mediocre: The Dangerous Legacy of White Male America and I'm hoping she will mention that book. I'm bummed that it's being published after November.

message 2: by Megge (new)

Megge | 6 comments I would like to go to hear her in April. I’m sure tickets will go fast. I’ll post here if I hear they are available. Martha, can you also let us know if you hear about tickets? Thanks.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) My local library branch reopened today (closed for renovations for 3 weeks) and there are many books available to pick up if you want one. I also took a flyer about Revolutionary Reads that I will post on a Meetinghouse bulletin board tonight after book group. The tickets are free so I expect they will go fast. They will be available in March and I'm unsure if I can pick them up at my local branch or if I will need to pick them up at the main downtown library. I'll let you all know.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) The tickets are now available and I picked up two of the last four available at my branch. I didn't know if anyone here wanted me to get tickets so I just have one extra. I'm hoping Lyn will go with me, but if he doesn't I'll let you know if one ticket is still available. Otherwise, the librarian told me you can order tickets from the library website, but I'm not sure how to do this.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) I've learned that my branch library is going to stream the event at the branch. This is a situation that works much better for me, so I now have two tickets to give away for the actual event at the Kiggins if anyone wants them. Please let me know if you want the tickets and I can mail them to you or leave them on the bulletin board at the meetinghouse.

message 6: by Mamaknitty (new)

Mamaknitty | 8 comments Mod
MEMEMEME!!!! This is Lori

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) I’ll send the tickets with Lyn on Sunday if you will be there.

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) Lori, I assume you got the tickets from Lew. I just received notice that FVRL is canceling the Simulcast events and since I no longer see the Kiggins event on the library's home page I assume the main event has been canceled too. There is nothing about rescheduling yet. I guess it depends on the course the Covid virus is going to take.