Play Book Tag discussion

Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
This topic is about Blood of Elves
Archive: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tien (tiensblurb) | 726 comments ★★★★

Hubby is a big fan of the game, of course, so got very excited about the Netflix adaptation. I agreed to watch that with him if he reads the series with me. He hasn't read a whole novel for 10+ years! This was a great compromise especially since this first book isn't that intimidating in size. He still complains of falling asleep within a few pages though lol And yes, even if I try to pace along with him (amongst my other multiple reads), I've still finished ahead of him.

In terms of chronological setting, the game is set after this series while the Netflix adaptation is set before this book. Blood of Elves begins about a few months after the end of the Netflix adaptation. So, if you need MORE of Geralt and not wanting to wait for Season 2, you can read this ;)

I have my doubts as to whether I'd enjoy this book without having watched the series. It did help considerably knowing the backstories as told in the series. In saying that, there is a book that is set before Blood of Elves so that could help too. But, really, it's this that get's me going...

description
I seem to recall only one (1) 'hhmm' by Geralt in this book! Yet, he does that ALL the time in the series & game...

There are only 7 chapters in this 300 pager so very long chapters and in between each chapter, weeks / months can go by. At first this was a little disjointed but when you've come to accept that, it reads a little better and you can start to really enjoy the story; action-packed when Geralt is involved. It seems the book assumes that you are familiar with the history of this world and even then, I'm still confused with which king is from which kingdom and of the alliances formed etc. Of course, being book 1 of 5 books series, there are still many mysteries/secrets to be unpacked and I am looking forward to reading those.

I'd highly recommend either watching the Netflix series first OR reading the stories set before Blood of Elves prior to picking this one up. You will then know why certain person/s are called such and dynamics of relationships etc and this will definitely help you enjoy this book a lot more. If you love epic fantasy, you'll love these!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1218 comments I just saw an article that mentioned these today- the first I’d heard of them. You’ve made this series sound intriguing! I have to check them out.

Tien (tiensblurb) | 726 comments Tracy wrote: "I just saw an article that mentioned these today- the first I’d heard of them. You’ve made this series sound intriguing! I have to check them out."

I hope you like them, Tracy!

I'm not a fan of GoT but really enjoyed this one :)

message 4: by Nicole R (last edited Jan 21, 2020 07:37AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I just binged the Netflix show yesterday! I have not read the books nor did I really know what they are about, so needless to say I spend the first 3-4 episodes trying to figure out how the f-ing timelines lined up! I knew that it was all at different times, but I struggled. I don't think the show did a very good job of giving hints at that.

But, once I figured it out, I really enjoyed the show! Not enough to go read the books, but definitely enough to watch season 2 when it comes out next year.

And, I totally noticed that Henry Cavill's Geralt not only "hmmm"'ed all the time, but he actually almost grunted most of the time! lol.

And, we need more of his funny bard friend. I adored him.

Tien (tiensblurb) | 726 comments well, I didn't actually realise that they were 3 different timelines to begin with. I just assumed they were of different places & perspectives and that it'll all come together later. It was probably around ep3 that it started to dawn on me that it's also different timeline and only then, I got to find it a bit confusing trying to place which when... Don't know if they did that on purpose?

Yea, Geralt does not speak very much in game & series and truthfully, he doesn't speak unless he really has to in the book but it was a lot more (ie. longer sentences) than the game/series. I did read an article somewhere that Cavill liked the game's version so took that on and also that it was Cavill's ability to convey a lot of things in a look that got him the role lol Whatever it was...

description

Jaskier! I think that actor did a terrific job!

message 6: by Nicole R (last edited Jan 21, 2020 03:23PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments OMG! I just sent that image to my gay friend who said that Henry Cavill was the only reason he was considering watching the show then made fun of me when I said the plot was actually good. lol

I only knew about the three timelines because someone told me. And I didn't know how many timelines or their order or anything, but I was glad I at least had that little tidbit.

I loved Jaskier. He was so funny. I was sad that he and Geralt split ways on not great terms.

Unfortunately, I was discussing the first season with a fantasy-loving friend and he thought I had read the books and dropped a MAJOR spoiler for season two! Obvi, I will not ruin it for you, but thank goodness that I don't mind spoilers or I would have been ticked. LOL

Tien (tiensblurb) | 726 comments Ha ha ha it's a good reason to want to watch the show ;)
But yes, plot is actually really good! Even if confusing to start with.

I find after Season 1 dropped, there are a lot of articles out there with the different timelines... there are graphics and even interactive ones to help with that. Can't you just watch the show and figure it out yourself?

In the book, Jaskier is not Jaskier... It's Dandilion. Hubby said because Jaskier in Polish is Poppy (or some rather feminine flower name) in English so they decided to change it in the book. Why we can't just keep Jaskier in the first place, I don't know!

Hubby has played the game a very long time ago and so have dropped a spoiler or 2 along the way and I think Season 2 will be based on this book (first in the series) as I mentioned in the review, this book picked up months after the end of the show so I probably know your spoiler already :p

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Ha! I did lots of research when I finished the season and there are some good timeline graphics out there. I did hold off until after season one though. Lol

Tien (tiensblurb) | 726 comments Nicole R wrote: "Ha! I did lots of research when I finished the season and there are some good timeline graphics out there. I did hold off until after season one though. Lol"

good thing coz some of those timelines would've been spoiler-ish, I reckon.