Judy Bolton Fans discussion

#15: Mark on the Mirror > Chapter 5: The Mark on the Mirror - Summary

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 1093 comments Mod
Chapter 5: The Masked Messenger

The bell rings and a huge package is delivered, marked for Judy. All the girls are trying to determine who the messenger is. Judy thinks it’s Horace. Lorraine says he looks more like Arthur. They all continue to speculate on who the messenger may have been. Lorraine is clearly upset, thinking that Arthur has brought a gift for Judy. As they prepare to open the gifts, Judy says she will save the best for last and then amends her statement to say the biggest. She doesn’t want to hurt any of her friends’ feelings.

Lorraine opens her first gift and Judy opens an identical one. They are embroidered pillow cases. Lorraine’s has butterflies and Judy’s has birds. Judy then tells about the strange mark on the mirror without mentioning Blackberry having killed a bird, but Selma tells the tale. Judy describes the bird and Honey asks if it was anything like the design on stamps. (Honey had seen it in Judy’s room on the fragment, so why is she asking?) Honey tells about her new job. Forrest Dean is the topic of conversation as they discuss how handsome he is.

As Lorraine and Judy continue to open their gifts, it’s clear that Lorraine is very upset and touchy, worrying about Arthur’s perception of her. She fears that he thinks she’s just a dumb blond and that Judy is the clever one. At last, the only package left is the big one for Judy who hesitates about opening it because Lorraine hasn’t a similar one. She realizes also that whoever sent it doesn’t know much about showers since the gifts are supposed to be small. She feels that it was sent to create a sensation or it wouldn’t have been delivered by a masked messenger.

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Stroh | 115 comments I'm enjoying the discussion--I like this unique plot. I think I will stick with Goodreads now. Lindsay

message 3: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 521 comments Lorraine is being a real pill in this chapter. Even if she feels insecure about Arthur's love, (and rightly so, probably) why in the world would she admit it out loud? and at her own wedding shower? And accuse him of still being in love with Judy whose happily engaged to the love of her life? Her snarky comments are just inviting her friends to pity her which I would think is the last thing she wants.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Fawcett | 48 comments As Judy describes the bird drawn in dust on her erstwhile hall mirror (littles Xs (plural) for eyes and both sides exactly alike), I realize now that the bird is drawn in front view rather than side view. I've always pictured it in side view until now. Funny how little details can elude you for decades and suddenly become clear.

message 5: by William (new)

Rebekah wrote: "Lorraine is being a real pill in this chapter. Even if she feels insecure about Arthur's love, (and rightly so, probably) why in the world would she admit it out loud? and at her own wedding shower..."

Perhaps Lorraine is attention getting? She, like Irene Lang, is a HSP (highly sensitive person) and she does very much like being the centre of attention.

Lorraine is often a pill. Her character is realistically drawn and more than one dimensional, but I simply do no like her.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 171 comments William wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Lorraine is being a real pill in this chapter. Even if she feels insecure about Arthur's love, (and rightly so, probably) why in the world would she admit it out loud? and at her ow..."

William, what you call HSP, I call drama queen Cindy

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 521 comments I don't know Bill. I think I agree with Cindy. Don't HSPs tend to retreat into themselves and seek privacy rather than putting all their insecurities out on Front Street? Regardless, Margaret really created an unconventional character.

message 8: by William (new)

Cindy and Rebekah have a point!

I think Lorraine and Irene can be both HSPs and drama queens! As teenagers who have not yet matured, I think it is natural for these HSPs to put all their insecurities for the world to see. Also, both Lorraine and Irene can be self-absorbed and self-absorbed people are usually drama queens!

As people mature, including HSPs, I think it is less likely for them to be drama queens unless they actually thrive on drama!

I am a true HSP (I've done the test a few times!). When I was younger (childhood/teens) I sometimes retreated into myself and sometimes was a drama queen! As an older adult, I matured and through therapy and becoming more self-aware, I realized I didn't like drama and I don't seek it anymore. I search for peace.

I also realized that some people thrive on drama and don't like living peacefully. These people are toxic to me. I have, whenever possible and for the most part, eliminated them from my life. A few years ago, I decided I would like my golden years as peacefully as possible.

It would have been interesting if the series had continued to see these characters into their thirties and forties. Would Lorraine and Irene have matured and became happier in their lives? We have evidence of Irene's happiness in "The Clue of the Broken Wing" and "The Phantom Friend." Marriage and motherhood and her career have certainly caused her to blossom and find happiness.

Would Lorraine have found happiness as a mother, I wonder?

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 521 comments I'd like to think so with a happy marriage and the stabilizing influence of good friends like Judy and Lois.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments I have mellowed in my old age and I avoid drama. I love my peaceful life. Girls back in the day seemed to be dramatic. Are they today?

message 11: by William (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:58PM) (new)

Rebekah wrote: "I'd like to think so with a happy marriage and the stabilizing influence of good friends like Judy and Lois."

I wonder if Lorraine will ever realize that Judy is actually a good friend to her?

I would have liked to see her appear more in the series after #28: The Haunted Fountain, but soon after the events in this book she and Arthur left on their year-long European trip and hadn't returned before the series ended.

message 12: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 521 comments Oh I didn’t know that about Arthur and Lorraine. I’ve been saving the last several books and haven’t read them yet. Sounds like a hopeful happy exit!

message 13: by William (new)

I'm sorry that I inadvertently spoiled the last few books for you, Rebekah. I should have put spoiler alert in my comment.

JudyBoltonFans have been discussing the books and the series for so many years that I've forgotten that some members may not have yet read all the books!

My bad!

message 14: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 521 comments William wrote: "I'm sorry that I inadvertently spoiled the last few books for you, Rebekah. I should have put spoiler alert in my comment.

JudyBoltonFans have been discussing the books and the series for so many..."

Not at all! No need to apologize. It's on me for stopping short of the last few books.