Play Book Tag discussion

Smilla's Sense of Snow
This topic is about Smilla's Sense of Snow
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1175 comments Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg - 4 Stars

This was a wild ride! The story opens on a very sad funeral for a small boy in Denmark. He fell off an icy/snowy rooftop, and his death is ruled an accident.

But one of the neighbors - Smilla Jaspersen - thinks this wasn't an accident at all. She starts to ask questions and never lets go until the very end of the book. This story took so many twists and turns, it's a little hard to even categorize. For most of the book I felt like I was utterly in the dark - right along with Smilla who doesn't put everything together until she's pulled out every last thread.

Great thriller! My only "complaint", and it seems common to the Scandinavian authors - so much detail. Place names, street names, looooong descriptions. The book would have been smoother and cleaner for me without all the "extra".

I just learned this was also made into a movie - I'm going to try to watch this weekend.

Booknblues | 6183 comments I enjoyed this book as well.

Susie | 4488 comments I read this when it was first published in English and loved it so much back then.

message 4: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 7402 comments Susie wrote: "I read this when it was first published in English and loved it so much back then."

Ditto. And I have thought about rereading it lately. I have my original copy here somewhere. My experience with nordic noir is so much deeper now, I suspect I would get a lot more out of it.