Play Book Tag discussion

Boy's Life
This topic is about Boy's Life
January 2020: Thriller > Boy's Life (Poll Ballot Tally)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DianeMP (new) - added it

DianeMP | 396 comments (Cross posted to Poll Ballot Tally)
4 Stars

Boy's Life, by Robert McCammon, chronicles the last few years of childhood for Cory MacKenson. Born in Zephyr, Alabama, July of 1952, Cory sees this time in his life as a magical adventure. Life, however, comes with its burdens, good and bad. Things happen: loved ones die; people get in wrecks and get crippled. Life itself does its best to take the memory of magic away. You don't know its happening until one day you feel you've lost something but you are not quite sure what it is. It just happens.

As the story opens, Cory and his Dad witness the aftermath of a murder as a car speeds past them into a local lake. The driver is badly beaten and is handcuffed to the steering wheel. As the story progresses, Cory's dad is deeply disturbed by the incident allowing it to eat away at him. This continues to the end of the book almost destroying him in the process. For the remainder of the 600+ page book, Cory relates numerous episodic life events. With each he advances to adulthood losing his innocence along the way.

I gave the book four stars. It could use a good edit job. The individual episodes go into great detail. A little nip and tuck would make it a more manageable and streamlined story. Altogether I did enjoy the book as a heartwarming coming-of-age tale.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 441 comments Thanks for your review. It was a pleasure for me to be reminded of this book. When I read it about 25 years ago I just loved it- although I didn't know much about editing then. I guess I responded to the heartwarming story. Wish this author had written more.

message 3: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Good review, thanks!
I’ve never heard about this book. It sounds heartbreaking