Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > January 2020 book of the month?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Hi Samantha.

OSS is going through a bit of a change right now. A January book has not been selected at this time.

Read this to learn more.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Still no books picked yet? I don't have Instagram so I don't really know ...

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Emma wrote: "Elise wrote: "Still no books picked yet? I don't have Instagram so I don't really know ..."

Did you read Pam's comment with the thread above? There won't be any books picked on OSS any more ("offi..."

I did, Pam has sent me a private message. I have misunderstood Emma's post and thought that there would be books announced on Instagram...

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Emma wrote: "I think Emma will occasionally recommend books on Instagram, but I don't think they'll regularly be announced on any sort of schedule or anything there."

Yes, Pam said that too and recommended me to read the books that I've not yet read, so I will do that :)

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (annablair) | 3 comments I’m also new to the group and I understand that Emma won’t be picking a book of the month anymore, but couldn’t we establish some sort of polling system, maybe? With members’ recommendations of thought-provoking feminist books in the same vein as those that this group has read in the past, followed by a voting period?

This doesn’t mean we couldn’t read Emma’s recommendations from instagram as well — they could be extra reads, or “Emma’s reads”, read alongside our own picks, if that makes sense?

I’m not sure I understood everything that was going on here and what is really at stake, but my understanding is that this group may well disintegrate if there isn’t some sort of new organisation and if we don’t take the reins of the group.
I read in another post that in the way things stand at the moment, we won’t even have moderators soon. And someone recommended that Ms. Watson pass the torch to a new set of moderators.

But does that mean that if she doesn’t do something of the sort, we (the remaining members) won’t be able to determine the group’s new book picks, discussions, and so on, because none of the members will be able to manage the group?! Are there no current / remaining members with moderator status who can access all management tasks?

My apologies if the points I raised have already been discussed! I’m not yet familiar with the group’s layout and get

a bit confused when trying to read or find a thread!

Many thanks,

Anna B.

message 6: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Anna wrote: "I’m also new to the group and I understand that Emma won’t be picking a book of the month anymore, but couldn’t we establish some sort of polling system, maybe? With members’ recommendations of tho..."

Hi Anna and welcome to the group!

I actually really like your idea about making a poll with members’ recommendations and make a new thread "Emma's reads" with her suggestions, like you said.

I don't think that these ideas has come up yet in a thread (but I'm not sure).

Point is, that I don't know if there are members with the status to access management tasks, as you've pointed out in your last paragraph...

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Right: so Goodreads groups has in the top right corner (for those on their computers) a panel that allows for Member Polls, Member Bookshelf, Announcements, etc.

Those are something only the moderators can utilize.

I like the idea of a workaround; opening a thread to a link to a poll for an "unauthorized" book selection. My concern is that it will not be able to go out to everyone as we couldn't send a note to the member population informing them of the link.

Any ideas on how we can solve that?

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Emma wrote: "At this moment, there are no moderators/members with access to "management tasks" but we can make do with what we have available to us as "regular" members! We can still post topics with links to p..."

If we reach out to the current mods, could they give a new group of mods the access to those management tasks? Should we start a thread to find out who would like to become a mod?

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments I just saw that Pam has the status of moderator?

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Yep! Hold tight!

Dotting the i's and crossing the t's, as they say, regarding what a mod can and cannot do. Once that is complete, we will move forward.

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Looking forward to it!! :)