Prize Readers discussion

Awards Roundup > The 2019 National Book Critics Circle Award Finalists

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
The board of the National Book Critics Circle announces the finalists for its 2019 awards in six categories: Autobiography, Biography, Criticism, Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry. The winners will be announced at a celebration on March 12 in New York. As usual, I will focus on the fiction on this page, but you can find the full list of finalists here: https://www.bookcritics.org/2020/01/1...

FICTION

Everything Inside by Edwidge Danticat
Feast Your Eyes by Myla Goldberg
The Topeka School by Ben Lerner
Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
As I post more and more of these, I'm starting to see which books I really missed out on, namely the Danticat, Goldberg, and Lerner books. I'll have to check them out soon!

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 4 comments So glad to see Feast Your Eyes honored -- this was one of my favorite books of the year and I was disappointed not to see it even on the ToB longlist.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Really happy to Everything Inside by Edwidge Danticat. I do not think this book got the buzz it deserves.

I thought every short story was spot on. And normally do not say that about short story collections.

I am also a big fan of Lost Children Archive.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments I echo Ellen on Feast Your Eyes. I've yet to read Dandicat or Lerner.