The Last Runaway
This topic is about The Last Runaway
Archive: Other Books > The Last Runaway - Tracy Chevalier

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (last edited Jan 17, 2020 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments The Last Runaway - Tracy Chevalier

3 1/2 stars

The Last Runaway is a historical fiction novel about a Quaker woman, Honor Bright, who moves to Ohio in the United States from England when her sister gets a marriage offer from a farmer there. The book takes place just as the Fugitive Slave Act is enacted and Honor finds herself in the middle of the Underground Railroad. Honor must decide what to do when faced with the horrors of slavery in this new country. This book was a nice read. I liked honor and appreciated the historical information about the underground railroad. I appreciated the emotional journey Honor took throughout the novel as she learned to stand up for others as well as for herself. I do think I enjoyed some of the supporting characters more than the more central ones and wished to learn more of their stories. Overall, I liked the book and I am glad I read it, but in the end my reaction was that the book was nice, nothing more.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7700 comments I never read this one by Chevalier, but I have her new one, A Single Thread on audio. I think I just keep giving her chances because of how much I liked Remarkable Creatures