Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 492 comments Excellent twist on the vampire novel.
Despite being written so long ago (1954) the scientific concepts used are basic enough to have stood the test of time and not be ridiculous when compared to current knowledge. He must have put a lot of research in to be that up to date at that time.
The loss of the ability to relate to others after extended isolation and the desperation to not be alone is portrayed really well, as is the fear of it not working out.
The strength shown by Neville in trying to learn and understand his predicament in the hope of curing others is immense. His frustration and drowning himself in alcohol to be able to sleep are very human qualities.
The introduction of the dog and his need to befriend it to have something/someone to talk to and care for is clever and provides just enough hope for him to keep going.
I'm not sure many people could be as resilient or resourceful as Neville, however he does mention that he is like his father fixating on solving a problem; so perhaps that curiosity and need to understand, even if it doesn't help him, is what makes him so special.
Less blood and gore than the standard vampire novel and a lot more understanding the effects on the main character.

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great review

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1952 comments Jen wrote: "Excellent twist on the vampire novel.
Despite being written so long ago (1954) the scientific concepts used are basic enough to have stood the test of time and not be ridiculous when compared to cu..."

I had this on my TBR for soooooo long. I finally read it in September and was surprised by how much I liked it. It was much different from what I expected.