CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o January 17 to 23, 2020

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Good morning readers!!

I hope everyone has had a good reading week. Stay safe @Allison hikes the bookwoods (and other NFLD members) as you you brace for a big storm!

What have you been reading this week? What is next? If you have been reading books from the Canada Reads long-list, check out the Canada Reads threads below.

Have a great day!

message 2: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Good morning, reading pals. Hope everyone is safe and warm.

This week, I had a bit of reader's block after finishing the moving and disturbing In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation and starting (and setting down for now) 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality.

So, I resorted to re-reading some old favourites:
These Foolish Things
Loitering with Intent

I'm waiting for The Lesser Blessed and NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field from the Canada Reads long list to arrive at my library. Most of the others have very long wait lists.

Wishing you all a cozy weekend of reading, duvets and tea.

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

It has been a good reading week for me including:

Broken Man on a Halifax Pier - an easy read about a man who had lost his job, was about to lose his apartment and met a woman on the pier who had her own demons. they embarked on relationship and both made discoveries about themselves and each other. It was yet another book that makes me want to travel back to NS and resume the interrupted trip we had this past summer!

21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality - some good learnings here although is a good book to read a chapter at a time to let the information soak in. It is difficult to read about the racism and actions of the government in the not so distant past.

We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir - a Canada Reads long-list pick which is a heartfelt story of a young woman's experience coming out. It is also a story of love and acceptance by her family despite new learnings and challenges along the way.

The Governance Core: School Boards, Superintendents, and Schools Working Together- reading for my role as a trustee which was a collection of leadership skills blended into the text specific to school boards. in a nutshell... how we all need to work together for the best interest of students!

Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family - another Canada Reads long-listed book which taught me a great deal. it is a book that promotes understanding and yet it is hard to imagine the challenges and cruelty this author and family have faced.

NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field - another long listed book for CR and I admit that I am not a huge poetry reader and I struggled to enjoy this one. it was very creative but, for me, I think some of the messages were lost.

101 Ways to Go Zero Waste didn't have too many new ideas but I will try using my own containers at take out restaurants in future.

As for now, I am starting The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami and as I read the first few pages could hear Linden MacIntyres voice. It is our February book club read so I have been saving it since seeing him speak in Grimsby. I am also trying to get my hands on a copy of Scythe which my son has been reading at school. He is very engaged in this book so I want to catch up to him so we can discuss it.

Enjoy the day!!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 940 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished No Great Mischief, which I really enjoyed. It's a beautiful novel. I also listened to the audiobook of We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir from the Canada Reads longlist. The narrator was very upbeat, so this came across as a largely positive memoir even though some of the subject matter was quite serious. I found it interesting but was hoping for a bit more from it.

I'm still reading Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation, which is very good but not terribly encouraging. I'm glad that I'm learning about how bad actors are using social media to disrupt society in various ways but I'm not sure what the solution to any of this is (perhaps the author will offer some ideas and I haven't got to that part yet!).

I'm also reading an ARC of My Dark Vanessa, which I won through Goodreads. It's quite good and can be summed up as a Me Too novel, with the protagonist reflecting on an affair she had with a teacher when she was about 15 years old. I'm also listening to the audiobook of Radicalized, also from the Canada Reads longlist. I'm into the second of four novellas now and am enjoying it.

Really eager to see the Canada Reads shortlist next week!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I hope everyone has had a good reading week. Stay safe @Allison hikes the bookwoods (and other NFLD members) as you you brace for a big storm!"

Thanks for thinking of us Susan! We are hunkered down at home and still have power for now. It's "the storm of storms" to quote Burl Ives in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!

message 6: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jan 17, 2020 07:47AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "It has been a good reading week for me including:

Broken Man on a Halifax Pier - an easy read about a man who had lost his job, was about to lose his apartment and met a woman on ..."

The Broken Man on a Halifax Pier, was he the last of Barrett's Privateers? LOL ♫♫

I'm very interested in reading The Wake as well. Looking forward to your review!

message 7: by Alan (last edited Jan 17, 2020 09:18AM) (new)

Alan | 626 comments I finished listening on audio yesterday to The Infatuations by Javier Marais, a translation from Spanish. I had heard great things about the book and passed it on to my partner who really liked it but
I hated the whole thing. Basically one very long monologue about
an affair and nasty doings in modern day Madrid, too philosophical and too European for my liking. Really happy to finish that one. And the narration was very problematic. The narrator was female which is fine as most of the book is told from a woman's point of view, but occasionally she has to use
the voice of men and this had to be the worst interpretation I've ever heard. Every man sounded like an awful version of Humphrey Bogart-very very annonying.

Just started The Break on audio (the narrator is good this time around) which I believe was a big favorite among people here.
I really don't know anything about the book and I'm only an hour into it, but I am finding it jumps from one character to another very quickly and that's a bit confusing, at least on audio. But I still have a very long way to go so I'll see what I think.

For an in person book club I'm hoping to start the latest Michael
Crummy this weekend. I've never read Crummy and I know again
he is greatly beloved here.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments I finally, FINALLY, finished Reproduction. I really struggled with the style towards the end of the book.

I also finished the Bel Canto audiobook, which grew on me towards the end.

I'm now listening to Wolf Hall, trying to get into the series before the final book comes out in March. It's a tiny bit hard to follow as Hilary Mantel throws the reader from scene to scene with no preamble and there are just so many characters. I'm about a third of the way through, but determined to stick with it.

For the January challenge here to read a book on my TBR for more than one year, I am now reading Touch by Alexi Zentner.

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 174 comments Happy Friday Everyone!!!

We have had temperatures in the -30's all week, so I have been hibernating, aside from a daily trek outside to care for livestock and bring in more firewood. Needless to say, it has been a good week for reading. I read Rose Under Fire, the sequel to Code Name Verity. It is good, but not as good a CNV, which is one of my all time favorite books.

Next I read Son of a Trickster, which I finished this morning. I love Eden Robinson's writing style, as she manages to inject humor into a pretty dark story. I have spent a fair bit of time in the Kitimat/Terrace area, as it is one of my family's favorite vacation destinations, so I was able to feel very immersed in the setting. I loved the main character, Jared. I'm still processing what I read, and am reluctant to rate this one quite yet.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Trillium (Just Reading in the Rain)☂ (trillium25) | 22 comments @Susan - the Scythe trilogy was FANTASTIC! I just finished the conclusion at the end of the year, and was so blown away by it. I hope you enjoy!

I just finished City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert, and it was phenomenal! I listened to it on audiobook and the narrator was perfection! It's been a while since I read a historical fiction, so I was happy to get back into that genre!

I am trying to finish up The Secret History I'm nearly 3/4 done. It is very engaging but slow going at the same time? I think I'm just in a bit of a reading slump, so I'm hoping this storm they are forecasting will get me in a more cozy-reading frame of mind.

I then plan on starting Monkey Beach which I also have on audiobook.

message 11: by Wanda (last edited Jan 17, 2020 06:08PM) (new)

Wanda | 604 comments It is cold and crappy here like the rest of Canada- makes me want to stay in bed and read until winter is over...

I finished a few books this week, all Canadian for a change: Empire of Wild, was quite mystical and a bit strange in places but I still really enjoyed this one. I will add to our Indigenous reads along with the graphic novel 7 Generations: A Plains Cree Saga- highly recommend this one as it is impactful. I half listened/half read The Silent Wife and I think I am done with this genre for awhile, too predictable. Tonight I started listening to Lullabies for Little Criminals, late to ever reading this. I also received from the library The North-West Is Our Mother: The Story of Louis Riel's People, the Metis Nation which is a big chunk of a book. I already failed at my book resolutions and bought Trickster Drift for a bargain. Can't wait to start it too! Stay warm and safe everyone!

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Samantha - my son is really keen on this book so I am really looking forward to it! Glad to hear how fantastic it is!

@Wanda - I hear you!! it would be great to hibernate and read all winter!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments Not book related, but the numbers are in and it’s official, we have a new record for snowfall accumulation in one day: 76.2 cm! The sun is shining this morning and we have a lot of cleanup to do here in eastern Newfoundland!

message 14: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Oh wow Allison! That is a lot of snow. At least kids will be happy--snow forts etc.

message 15: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 604 comments @Allison- stay safe and I hope that you are able to enjoy some reading while mother nature shares her bounty...

message 16: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Greetings from Bermuda! I’ve been here since Thursday. The weather is definitely not warm enough for bathing suits but seeing the amount of snow we’ve been getting in Canada (wow, NFL 😱😱😱), I cannot complain. PLUS, I’ve been meeting up with @Rainey everyday,, yeah, definitely not complaining, LOL!

This week, I finished listening to We Have Always been here: A Queer Muslim Memoir, and reading City of the Lost in paper, both were just ok. Currently reading The Scholar for my in person book club next week. My library hold of The Youth of God just came in so that will be next.

Stay safe and have a good weekend!

message 17: by Alan (last edited Jan 20, 2020 10:54AM) (new)

Alan | 626 comments On friday I reported that I was listening to The Break on audio
and that I found the different characters difficult to keep straight in my head.
I actually have a paper copy of the book at home so when I opened it I thought it was quite funny that there is a chart of all of the
characters. I'm looking forward to listening it to it on audio again.

Susan according to your post you read eight books last week!!!
Eight books-that is unbelievable, how can anyone possibly do this?!
At that rate you will read every book written in no time. How
I envy you.

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Alan - you will see my numbers dramatically decline when I head back to work in February!

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

please see the Canada Reads finale thread if you are interested in attending. i need to get the numbers to Tara (who is so helpful again this year)!