Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

John Steinbeck
This topic is about John Steinbeck
Archive 2021 Authors > Author John Steinbeck

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5605 comments Mod
Interesting John Steinbeck Facts:

John Steinbeck moved to New York City briefly where he worked as a construction worker and reporter for a newspaper but returned to California.

John Steinbeck worked as a caretaker in Lake Tahoe and used his spare time to write his first novel titled Cup of Gold, which was published in 1929.

John Steinbeck met Carol Henning around the same time as he wrote his first novel and they married.

John Steinbeck went on to write The Pastures of Heaven (1932), The Red Pony (1933) and To a God Unknown (1933). The reviews were mediocre.
John Steinbeck's success as a writer came when his novel Tortilla Flat was published in 1935.

John Steinbeck's next novels included In Dubious Battle (1936), Of Mice and Men (1937), and a collection of short stories titled The Long Valley (1938).

John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath was published in 1939. This novel is believed to be his greatest work. The novel tells about a family from Oklahoma that tries to start their lives over in California during The Great Depression.

John Steinbeck won the Pulitzer Prize in 1940 for his book The Grapes of Wrath.

The Grapes of Wrath was so popular, partly because it struck a chord with Americans at the time, that it sold 10,000 copies a week at its peak sales.
John Steinbeck covered World War II as a correspondent for the New York Herald Tribune.

John Steinbeck collaborated with a marine biologist in Mexico and subsequently wrote the book Sea of Cortez which was published in 1941.
In 1942 John Steinbeck's The Moon is Down was published, followed by Bombs Away: The Story of a Bomber Team in 1942.

In 1945 John Steinbeck's book Cannery Row was published, followed by The Wayward Bus (1947), The Pearl (1947), A Russian Journal (1948), Burning Bright in 1950, The Log from the Sea of Cortez (1951), East of Eden in 1952, Sweet Thursday in 1954, The Short Reign of Pippin IV in 1957, Once There Was a War in 1958, The Winter of Our Discontent in 1961, and Travels with Charley: In Search of America in 1962.

Several of John Steinbeck's works were adapted into movies including Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, The Forgotten Village, The Moon is Down, and East of Eden.

John Steinbeck died on December 20th, 1968 at the age of 66 in New York City.

What are some of your favorite reads?

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

message 3: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

This article did not talk about The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck

Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur was the first book that John Steinbeck truly enjoyed reading as a child. Fascinated by Arthurian tales of adventure, knighthood, honor and friendship, in addition to the challenging nuances of the original Anglo-Saxon language, Steinbeck set out to render these stories faithfully and with keen animation for a modern audience. Here then is Steinbeck’s modernization of the adventure of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, featuring the icons of Arthurian legend—including King Arthur, Merlin, Morgan le Fay, the incomparable Queen Guinevere, and Arthur's purest knight, Sir Lancelot of the Lake.

I wonder why?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments I love everything he does. Steinbeck is easily, hands-down, no questions -- my favorite author. :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments Lesle wrote: "This article did not talk about The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck

Malory..."

It was published post-mortem... maybe that is why they didn't mention it?

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jan 18, 2020 03:20AM) (new)

Nice list Blueberry!

I have read:
Of Mice and Men
The Red Pony
Cannery Row
The Pastures of Heaven

I enjoy his stories. Writing is realistic and descriptions are easy to make a mental picture of. Very enjoyable.

I own several on your list Blueberry yet to read!

message 8: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jan 18, 2020 03:26AM) (new)

Thank you Kelly good thought!

I own this one and would like to read and compare to Howard Pyle's The Story of King Arthur and His Knights which I gave 5 stars to.

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony | 101 comments I've read several John Steinbeck novels but my favourite would be The Grapes of Wrath.

Steinbeck was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1962 "for his realistic and imaginative writings, combining as they do sympathetic humour and keen social perception."

I think that is a good summary of his work.

Interestingly in the 1999 Le Monde survey of the 100 most memorable books of the 20th century the Grapes of Wrath is listed at No 6, the highest ranked English Language book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mond...

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin | 775 comments I'm not a Steinbeck fan although he was brilliant and had an amazing way with words. I don't like his stories.

message 11: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Thank you Tony for the "Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century" list.
All over very interesting list of Authors and their works.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8291 comments Mod
Some of Steinbeck's can be sad,Karin. But his non-fiction book, Travels with
Charley, is about his road trip around the U.S. with his dog, Charley.

message 13: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 19, 2020 08:34AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I have read EVERYTHING by Steinbeck, and there are some I have read MANY, ahem, MANY MANY times. It's good stuff, yeah, but i want to read stuff I haven't read yet, however I think I shall read my favourite, The Red Pony again this year perhaps.

message 14: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

During summers as a boy, Steinbeck worked as a hired hand on local ranches. Born February 27, 1902 in Salinas California, he took in the sights, sounds and smells of the valley he called home and they made their mark on him.
Steinbeck spent his youth soaking up the rich agricultural valley that would become the setting of many of his novels and stories.
The Grapes of Wrath in 1939, the people of Salinas valley railed against Steinbeck for what they considered to be a scathing image of their way of life.
East of Eden was his answer to the people of Salinas with the story of the beauty of his homeland and the truth of his homeland.

message 15: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Steinbeck asked his wife Elaine if he could take Charley her dog on his trip around America.
Worried about John's health and his being alone on the road, Elaine responded enthusiastically: "That's wonderful. If you get in trouble, Charley can go for help. If there's danger, Charley can warn you."
His response: "Elaine, I'm taking Charley, not Lassie."

I thought you might like that little chuckle Rosemarie!

message 16: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Nine Americans, including John Steinbeck (1962), have won the Nobel Prize in Literature:

Sinclair Lewis (1930)
Eugene O'Neill (1936)
Pearl Buck (1938)
William Faulkner (1949)
Ernest Hemingway (1954)
Saul Bellow (1976)
Toni Morrison (1993)
Bob Dylan (2016)

message 17: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 24, 2020 06:46AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) As of 2019, the Nobel Prize was awarded to 116 individuals,
111 of which are men,
29 of which are English speakers.
John Steinbeck is included in each of these demographics.

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8291 comments Mod
Lesle wrote: "Steinbeck asked his wife Elaine if he could take Charley her dog on his trip around America.
Worried about John's health and his being alone on the road, Elaine responded enthusiastically: "That's..."

The whole book is full of little snippets like that. Very entertaining.

message 19: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Travels with Charley: In Search of America is one novel I inherited from Mom! One day soon I hope to read it.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments Lesle wrote: "Travels with Charley: In Search of America is one novel I inherited from Mom! One day soon I hope to read it."

Travels with Charley is one of his nonfiction works, not a novel. It is absolutely wonderful.

message 21: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads wrote: "Lesle wrote: "Travels with Charley: In Search of America is one novel I inherited from Mom! One day soon I hope to read it."

Travels with Charley is one of his nonfiction works, not a ..."

You are right Kelly. I just was saying it was among Moms books. Using term novel loosely for books I guess.