What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Gods/Immortal Beings/Monsters as MC

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay (jadabo) | 39 comments looking for books with the mc as a God/Immortal Beings/Monsters and is well written. And more specifically them not understanding the world around them and having to rely on inferior beings they can't stand. Maybe a reason being they were highly feared/worshiped and disappeared and now their irrealivent.

Thank you

message 2: by Ergative (new)

Ergative Absolutive | 40 comments Terry Pratchett's Small Gods

John Gardner's Grendel (Beowulf from the point of view of Grendel)

N. K. Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy, especially the second and third books: The Inheritance Trilogy

Nicky Drayden's The Prey of Gods--one viewpoint character is a goddess, and other viewpoint characters are becoming demigods.

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. has a hilarious primary character (not mc, though), who is a witch living in a time when her magic is useless, and she's arrogant and furious and impatient with magicless mortals that she has to cooperate with.

Yoon-ha Lee's Machineries of Empire trilogy features a ghost-like character who has been punished for past misdeeds by the loss of his corporeal form, and so to get anything done he must cooperate with a living host, and he is quite displeased about it.

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1354 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

The Ancient Future trilogy. There’s a LITTLE bit of that in this series. The gods are backup characters mostly and humans are evolving to immortality and I think it’s book three where there is really some ‘don’t be a dumb ass god who needs us to solve your problems!’

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1354 comments https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Mortality Bites. The gods beam a message to everyone along the lines of thanks, but we’s outta here. Then everyone left on earth (vamps, fae, humans, religious icons I think) all trying to figure out wtf.

I loved it, but think I only read book one cause the rest aren’t on iBooks.

message 6: by ...cats? (new)

...cats? | 377 comments Anansi Boys and American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Wicked + the Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury
Wild Seed by Octavia Butler
Enigma by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo

message 7: by Nat (new)

Nat | 3 comments The Murderbot Diaries (series)

4 novellas with a full length novel coming out this year, the main character is an antisocial robot AI who just wants to watch TV and keeps getting dragged into human issues.