Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Seeking beta readers for YA dystopian "mecha" sci-fi novel

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ulysses (new)

Ulysses | 3 comments Genre: Young-adult dystopian science fiction with some "mecha" themes.

Word Count: 90k.

POV: Third-person limited.

Sex Scenes: None. Occasional sexuality themes.

Violence: Vehicular destruction, some bloodshed, no gore.

Possible triggers: Psychologically traumatic scenes, including hallucination experiences.

Desired Betareaders: 5-10.

One swampy winter afternoon in the late twenty-first century, Megan is running for her life, just like any other lower-class denizen of the Halifax vertislums that wants to keep their blood and organs in their own body. The world is not dying around her; it is being killed. Megan's field of view is speckled with advertisements and biometric advisories that are accumulating only slightly faster than the mosquitoes she catches, mid-sprint, in her teeth. The next gig promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...

… and it will be, in ways she can not possibly imagine.

(Please reply to this thread if you are interested; I can send chapters or a complete current draft according to your preference)

message 2: by Tony (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments I'd be interested. I'd prefer to do a three-chapter sample before we commit to an entire Ms. If you're okay with that, my synopsis is below.

In the year 2184 the new A.I is artificial no more, but based on the blending of multiple cloned neural networks to create a new individual. This innovation completely erases the boundaries between human and machine.

Despite their creation to be our partners in science and the humanities, there is fierce opposition to the Bionics' claim for membership in the human race. Their brilliant minds give rise to astonishing advances in science and technology, but also to a new and dangerous level of bigotry and hatred from a militant far right 'Human Purity' group.

Dr Peter Darvish is a field psychologist working with refugees but has become frustrated at his failure to make any significant difference in their lives. He's been asked to head a study looking into the impact of the rise of the Bionic in society. Peter befriends a Bionic called Oscardion Freejoy, who affects him deeply. Peter joins their cause for independence.

But his new friends are being attacked and murdered, and now their aim is simple survival. They are forced to use questionable methods to secure their freedom, and it strains Peter's trust in them. And it soon becomes clear that the fight for their status as citizens will be long and bloody and, for Peter, it will redefine what it means to be human.

message 3: by Ulysses (new)

Ulysses | 3 comments Just to make sure what we're agreeing to, I will be reading three chapters of your story, that follows the above synopsis, while you read three chapters of mine?

That sounds like a fair agreement to me, but I'm just making sure.

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments Yep, that's the deal. But I just noticed that yours is YA, while mine is not. It's for an adult audience. I don't know a lot about YA literature, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about what makes good sci-fi. If you're okay with that, we can go ahead, but if not, I understand completely.

message 5: by Jonas (new)

Jonas Frid | 27 comments Sounds really interesting! A shame I don’t have the time to read the full thing. If it’s of any value, I could read your 1st 3 chapters.

message 6: by Ulysses (new)

Ulysses | 3 comments I am contacting both of you so we may proceed. Thank you for your interest.

If anyone else is interested, let me know!