What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical book, written 1800-1900's, marriage of convenience,mystery,suspense,romance, poor companion, wealthy man with scheming relatives, adapted to miniseries/movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 1 comments SO. About 6-8 years ago I saw an English (BBC or ITV or something) historical miniseries or movie based on a book and I hunted down the book because I liked it so much- it goes like this:

A poor companion, with no other resources, marries a kind slightly older man and moves to his manor/estate. They gradually fall in love (there's a great scene where she discovers the connecting door between their rooms? It's in a closet or something? And he teaches her to swim?) Sh*t goes south when some of this guy's relatives or something (a man and a woman I think) visit out of the blue and ultimately convince everyone that the heroine is sick/insane, in some kind of nefarious plot. The kindly husband was gone or something and just barely makes it back in time to save the heroine. The end!

SO we have: historical, marriage of convenience, adapted to film sometime before or around 2012, nefarious plots by scheming relatives to convince someone that a woman is mad. I just can't find this anywhere!!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
It is mandatory to include genre and plot details in your header, as per the Group Rules.

We will close threads that don't adhere to this requirement.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Reopening thread.

message 4: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 275 comments This sounds good, so I'm following this thread. Unfortunately I'm not able to give a suggestion for the title, sorry.

message 5: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela | 69 comments Pretty sure this is 'The Making of a Lady' that came out in 2012. It's based on the Frances Hodgsen Burnett novel.