Dresden Files discussion

2020 Reread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Monica, White Council (new)

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 373 comments Mod
So here we are again! I've begun my reread, this time listening to the audiobooks. God, I love the audiobooks. James Marsters does such a great job. He gets better at the names too, as the series goes on. ;-)

Instead of creating a topic for each book this, I'll just post here when I have questions as I go along. I'm already on Summer Knight, but I'll try to remember what questions I had from the earlier books.

message 2: by Monica, White Council (last edited Jan 17, 2020 11:45AM) (new)

From Storm Front:
I was struck with how thoroughly this series seems to be plotted out. (view spoiler)

Harry's naivete is striking, once you see how far he travels from this. If you told him where he'd end up, say, 15 years (books) later, he would have laughed at you.

message 3: by Monica, White Council (new)

Fool Moon:

Murphy's job, while always on questionable footing, has been in real danger from this book. I hadn't realized how continuously her job had been threatened.

And their flirting started this early too. But I hadn't realized the Alter Ego Harry showed up so early. I thought this was future Harry, but it wasn't that much future - this is how he looks in the next book.

Thoughts?

message 4: by Monica, White Council (new)

Grave Peril:

Lydia says this early on:
I know that something's coming. I don't know what. And I don't know why or how. I just know what I see.
(Harry:) Which is?
Fire. Wind. I see dark things and a dark war. I see my death coming for me out of the spirit world and I see you in the middle of it all. You are the beginning, the end of it. You're the one who can make the path go different ways... I see what I see.

This could be a foretelling of Harry's life. He's the beginning and the end? He can make things go differently? What do you guys think of this? Foreshadowing? Foretelling?

message 5: by Monica, White Council (new)

Ok, another comment on Grave Peril. And this surprised me. I went into this book fully expecting to be annoyed with Harry's perpetual self-blaming. I could never understand (much) why he insists on blaming himself for other people's actions. I know, it's a trait of his, a bit of a savior complex in that boy. It's still annoying. (view spoiler)

Even on the fourth read, I'm still getting a deeper understanding of this series! LOVE YOU, JIM BUTCHER!!!!

message 6: by Monica, White Council (last edited Mar 26, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Ok, so I'm behind on comments. But I've continued my reread. Just some thoughts here, if anyone has opinions, ideas, explanations, or predictions, please leave them here!

Summer Knight
Things are happening much sooner than I'd remembered. With plenty of foreshadowing. Including injuries. Murphy's knee foreshadows the more serious injury in the last book. And Harry thinks about if he'd fallen differently when he was thrown by the ogre, he would have broken his back.

That's all I have for now...

message 7: by Monica, White Council (new)

Death Masks

I was surprised it took so long for Butters, Shiro, and Sanya to show up.
Questions: When the demon cabbage patch doll said Harry was stained, he made a reference to someone -- DuMorne or He Who Walks Behind?
Why are the Denarians after Harry? His power? Or does Nicodemus have insight into his future and what he's meant to do?
And following that - did Shiro know what Harry is meant for? Is that why he sacrificed himself? Does Michael also know, and that's why they tried to steer him away from the case?

message 8: by Monica, White Council (last edited May 02, 2020 03:59PM) (new)

Blood Rites

Butcher does push this one a bit on certain aspects of the plot. Harry might not have gone out of his way so much to help Thomas if he was just a vamp. Butcher needed them to become more involved. Harry might have been swayed by his seeming humanity, but perhaps not to the lengths he went to. Perhaps for Inari?

This might be the first time Murphy has to ignore a dead body. The beginning of her turning away from the law?

This is the third book where someone has asked Harry why he does what he does, lives as he does. Just an interesting detail.

I forgot how powerful the moment is when Harry finds out who Thomas is. Still packs a punch!
A couple of questions about Margaret: what happened b/w when she left Lord Wraith and when he tracked her down and she was with Harry's dad?
If she died in childbirth, how was she supposed to leave that message for Thomas and Harry? She seemed to know Harry when she presumably never laid eyes on him.

message 9: by Monica, White Council (new)

Dead Beat

Sue! There are so many times in this one where I laughed out loud.
And Waldo, love Waldo Butters. "You have a pony!"

So many questions about Cowl:
Is Cowl's voice just to obscure his identity?
When they first met Harry, they "rocked back." Why?
The black glove wouldn't mean he's future Harry since he no longer uses it.

I thought Cowl was not talking like Harry. But then he explained he was doing this to keep the others from succeeding. That is something Harry would do.

Harry getting promoted to Warden is the first major "promotion" that he will get. He continues to accumulate power, constantly leveling up. Someone saw his potential and saw enough of the future to know he was needed. Perhaps that's why Gard was brought to him. The Knights introduced to him. Shiro giving his life for him. So many working to make sure he survives. So many times he should have died. Someone is looking out for him big time.

message 10: by Monica, White Council (new)

Proven Guilty

Not too many questions about this one. I see the Nemesis is starting to make trouble.

Thoughts?

message 11: by palu (new)

palu (clocklungs) | 10 comments Monica wrote: "Proven Guilty

Not too many questions about this one. I see the Nemesis is starting to make trouble.

Thoughts?"

I'm only half-way through but it bothers me that the Fetches don't seem to care about "cold iron" except when convenient. During the fight where Glau dies, for example, the Scarecrow fetch is all over the metal van, clawing through the sides,, and even uses a barrel (previously mentioned as rusted) as a weapon against Harry. Maybe that gets explained later on (i forget the excuse for it to shrug off a hellfire infused fire blast)...

message 12: by Monica, White Council (new)

palu wrote: "I'm only half-way through but it bothers me that the Fetches don't s..."

Good question! Sorry, I never saw this reply. Been a bit busy. I'll assume you've finished by now, palu.

When any of the Fetches died, if I remember correctly, they left behind ectoplasm, right? So, they were only constructs.

Except -- the Scarecrow was the actually Fetch, wasn't it? Hmmm. Anyone have a better answer than mine?

This is one of the stories where the many threads intertwined enough to make me have to review the explanations. And I've been ripping through the audiobooks, so my memory of each story gets muddled together. I think I remember the series better as one long story.

message 13: by Monica, White Council (new)

White Knight

I have several questions about this one!

Why does Elaine have the same pentacle necklace that Harry and Thomas has? He describes the necklaces he and Elaine have as a pair, matched so he can find her with it. And he describes the necklaces he and Thomas have as a pair that he can use to find Thomas. Which is it? Or am I confused?

Since when did Murphy know about Bob? There was no conversation or acknowledgement when he let her in on him.

Okay, The Outsiders. What Lash says is highly significant here, stuff related to everything to come. She says a lot, so I'm just going to include a chunk:
"[The involvement of Outsiders] is relevant because of the circumstances of your birth, because why you were born. Your mother found the strength to escape Lord Raith for a reason ... There was a complex confluences of events, of energies, of circumstances that would have given a child born under them the potential to wield power over Outsiders ... He Who Walks Behind is an Outsider, the most potent of the Walkers, a powerful Knight among their ruling entities ... You have the potential to hold great power over them."

So, did Maggie know Harry would have this power? Did she purposefully get pregnant at this time so Harry would have this power? In other words, was it her plan to give Harry this power?

So Harry's fate/purpose is to defeat the Outsiders. Anyone agree or disagree?

Harry has always acknowledged his urge to use his magic for vengeance, use it to hurt those who have hurt him or those he's protecting. He often ends up doing terrible things because it's the only way to do something he deems good. Maybe to defeat the Outsiders will require terrible things of him. He will need to do bad things for the sake of others.

So who thinks Harry survives at the end of the series? Is what he does to save humanity, presumably, too terrible for him to live through?

message 14: by Monica, White Council (last edited Apr 21, 2020 10:44AM) (new)

Small Favor

Not too much here. I really like Ivy, wish we'd see more of her.

More foreshadowing with the mention of Harry breaking his back.

And he gains further power, with the bestowing of Soul Fire to him from Uriel.

In the meantime, through having an apprentice, he's strengthening his more "mundane" magical skills.

message 15: by Monica, White Council (new)

Turn Coat

This is a different tale in that the true conflict is mainly political. Of course, with addition of a spectacular monster. A real charmer.

And this is the end of the beginning. Next is Changes ::shudder::

I've begun listening to Changes already, so I can now think back and see how Harry had already begun losing people here in Turn Coat. He "lost" his brother and Luccio. They're not as strong allies. And he lost Michael as a fighting partner. Morgan was a loss on a purely tactical level. There are few fighters like him. And he did lose Kerby, an ally and a friend.

And yet, he's gained some respect among the wizards of the council. That brings more power.

::deep breath:: And now for Changes.

message 16: by Caryl (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Monica wrote: "White Knight

I have several questions about this one!

Why does Elaine have the same pentacle necklace that Harry and Thomas has? He describes the necklaces he and Elaine have as a pair, matched s..."

Harry says Elaine's necklace is NEARly identical to his and Thomas' IS identical.

message 17: by Monica, White Council (new)

Oh! Good catch! I missed that. I wonder what's the source of these necklaces. Did Harry's mom give them the pair? Did Justin give Elaine hers?

message 18: by Caryl (last edited Apr 20, 2020 09:30AM) (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Harry's and Thomas's were indeed from their mother. One of the only things Harry was able to keep with him through his years in the foster system; the necklace and one photo of his, pregnant with him, mother and father together. Elaine's; canon doesn't actually say where hers came from. Best guess; mine anyway, DuMorne gave it to her to further the link between her and Harry.

message 19: by Monica, White Council (new)

Exactly what I was thinking. He'd do something like that.

I meant to ask, what connection could there be/have been between DuMorne and the Outsider? Harry thought he sent the demon after him. If so, then DuMorne had a connection to the Outsider. What was that about?

message 20: by Caryl (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments That has yet to be explained/answered.

message 21: by Monica, White Council (new)

Ah, Changes, you dirty, dirty dog...

I'm nearly done with Changes -- they're approaching the temple. But there's so, so much in this, I wanted to post a couple of questions now.

But first, to answer my own question from White Knight regarding Murphy learning about Bob. I realized while listening to Changes that I had forgotten about Side Jobs. So I went back and listened to those, except for the last, which happens after Changes. So, Murphy learns about Bob during "It's my birthday too." The short stories are mostly quite enjoyable, and often provide a relevant tidbit for the main story. I advise reading them for that at least.

So, a couple of questions on soul gazes. When Susan returns, Harry says he doesn't have to worry about a soul gaze with Susan, because they've already done that. But he's also said that if someone has changed drastically, their soul could change enough to trigger a new soul gaze. I think Susan has changed enough in the last 8 years for that to happen. She's hardly the same person she was when they met. For that matter, neither is Harry. (And if he changed, would that trigger new soul gazes for everyone? What about once he's the Winter Knight?) Small details, but Butcher is usually more careful than that.

On the same topic: do you think Molly has soul gazed anyone in her family? She clearly doesn't have the instinct to not look anyone in the eye, since she's so easily slipped into one with Thomas. It would have been extremely easy to slip into one with anyone in her family, esp Michael. What would her father and mother see? And she'd see back, which mean she'd probably see Charity's past. A few holes in there.

More questions, but I'll post separately.

message 22: by Monica, White Council (new)

Ah, Changes. Such a powerful story.

A couple more questions:
Harry said he would kill who he had to, to use the Dark Hallow. So who would he kill? Would he find guilty people? He did commit two murders in this book. The farthest over the line he's ever gone.

One small-ish thing I found shocking: since when did Mab know all of Harry's names?

Harry's conversation with Sonja is one of my favorite in the series. "You are a drug dealer to tiny faeries!"

message 23: by Caryl (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Autocorrect? Sanya

Not the first time he's taken life: see Dead Beat. But the first time he's killed when something wasn't actively trying to kill him.

message 24: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments He's killed LOTS of supernatural beings. Think what he did to those ghouls. And all those vampires, both red and black. Just because they aren't human beings does not mean they don't have feelings. The Council's rule that only applies to humans is speciesist.

message 25: by Monica, White Council (new)

All true. But Harry hadn't committed outright murder before, certainly not twice.

message 26: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "All true. But Harry hadn't committed outright murder before, certainly not twice."

Huh? What he did to those ghouls was murder.

message 27: by Monica, White Council (new)

Ah, you're right. I'd forgotten about the ghouls. One could argue human vs monster. But he definitely didn't have to kill those ghouls.

message 28: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "Ah, you're right. I'd forgotten about the ghouls. One could argue human vs monster. But he definitely didn't have to kill those ghouls."

De-"human"-izing ghouls by calling them monsters? They're sapient beings. That's what counts.

message 29: by Karyn (new)

Karyn Dolan | 26 comments Caryl wrote: "Autocorrect? Sanya

Not the first time he's taken life: see Dead Beat. But the first time he's killed when something wasn't actively trying to kill him."

Actually, in Dead Beat he killed the human who was inhabited by a monster at the time (trying to avoid spoilers here), even though it wasn't actively trying to kill him at that moment. In a court of law, it wouldn't have counted as self-defense. Harry also had some serious guilt over that in later books, too, because as he put it, it was the first time he had just killed in cold blood rather than in the heat of battle.

message 30: by Monica, White Council (new)

You're right. Your think I'd remember these since I just read them. But I'm finding that the details are blurring together a bit. Probably bc I'm going from one to next without pause.

That said, I was just noting that the two murders were the most over the line he'd gone. I was asking more for ideas on who might Harry have chosen to kill if he'd gone the Death Hallow route.

message 31: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "You're right. Your think I'd remember these since I just read them. But I'm finding that the details are blurring together a bit. Probably bc I'm going from one to next without pause.

That said, ... I was asking more for ideas on who might Harry have chosen to kill if he'd gone the Death Hallow route."

I don't think Harry was planning who to murder to use the Death Hallow. He wanted to make sure NOONE became a Dark Godling.

message 32: by Monica, White Council (new)

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to Harry's conversation in Changes, I think with Mab. He was saying she was the least evil, or he had to do the least evil, to take her offer. If she refused, he would go elsewhere - he listed a few sources of power he could turn to, including Nicodemus and the Dark Hallow. He acknowledged he would have to kill people to use the Dark Hallow - and he'd do that, if he had to. That was the gist of his conversation. It struck me how casually he said that, with no hesitation. It felt as if he was ready to turn to that option if Mab refused him for some reason. I was trying to picture that and wondered who he'd use for the Dark Hallow.

message 33: by Wordwizard (last edited May 17, 2020 06:19AM) (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to Harry's conversation in Changes, I think with Mab. He was saying she was the least evil, or he had to do the least evil, to take her offer. If she refused, he would go elsewhere - he listed a few sources of power he could turn to, including Nicodemus and the Dark Hallow. He acknowledged he would have to kill people to use the Dark Hallow - and he'd do that, if he had to. That was the gist of his conversation. It struck me how casually he said that, with no hesitation. It felt as if he was ready to turn to that option if Mab refused him for some reason. I was trying to picture that and wondered who he'd use for the Dark Hallow. "

The answer to that is easy. He was lying. He knew Mab would take his offer, and talk of taking up a Fallen Angel's coin and attendant damnation, or the Dark Hallow, which requires mass slaughter, was just talk.

message 34: by Christian (new)

Christian | 144 comments I don’t think he was lying, he certainly hoped Mab, would accept his deal, in my personal opinion he could have gone through with the dark hallow, and at that point he might not have cared that much any longer whose he sacrifices.
In his defense he possibly would have chosen perhaps a hangout of Marcone’s people, just to feel better about the first few. As I see it the dark hallow would have been the last option, if mab would not have worked out, lasciels coin would have received a summon, which brings up the interesting question, if it could still have shown up, considering events in later books. Also considering Harry’s physical state at the point he is making the deal, I don’t think the dark hallow would actually have been still feasible for him.

message 35: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Christian wrote: "I don’t think he was lying, he certainly hoped Mab, would accept his deal, in my personal opinion he could have gone through with the dark hallow, and at that point he might not have cared that much..."

His link to Lasciel's coin had been broken, and the Dark Hallow could only be done at Hallowe'en. It was just a bluff.

message 36: by Christian (new)

Christian | 144 comments I have to disagree with the thought that this was a bluff. Long before he is talking with Mab, Harry iterates those options to himself, and he is typically not considered an unreliable narrator.

message 37: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Christian wrote: "I have to disagree with the thought that this was a bluff. Long before he is talking with Mab, Harry iterates those options to himself, and he is typically not considered an unreliable narrator."

Oh, he's not? "Typically" not? All narrators are unreliable. How concussed or sleep-deprived was he when he did that?

And as for Harry's not typically being considered an unreliable narrator, didn't he leave out some crucial information in CHANGES? Such as the major spoiler for both CHANGES and GHOST STORY? Ehem?

Perhaps one of the changes in CHANGES is in how reliable a narrator Harry is?

message 38: by Monica, White Council (new)

I would agree that Harry is often an unreliable narrator. Like when he takes a moment just as the fur starts to fly to explain how he likes to prepare for all possibilities. Or sometimes afterwards. BUT (view spoiler)

message 39: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "I would agree that Harry is often an unreliable narrator. Like when he takes a moment just as the fur starts to fly to explain how he likes to prepare for all possibilities. Or sometimes afterwards. BUT ..."

Yes, I was just talking about that very same thing in two different threads.

message 40: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 8 comments Hi all !

Excited for two new books coming this year so I thought about doing a series re-read as I haven’t read the Dresden Files in a long time. So I’m starting my re-read of the series June 1. Will be doing it chronologically, including the short stories and the graphic novels. Fingers crossed will be done before the new book is out.

message 41: by Paul-Baptiste (new)

Paul-Baptiste (paukku) | 11 comments Anastasia wrote: "Hi all !

Excited for two new books coming this year so I thought about doing a series re-read as I haven’t read the Dresden Files in a long time. So I’m starting my re-read of the series June 1. W..."

In optimistic anticipation of the fabled book 16, I have been rereading the series - over and over since 2014. Just finished up Skin Game (for the 5th time) happy in the knowledge that THIS TIME I can move onto book Peace Talks. It's been like Groundhog Day with a wise-cracking skull.

message 42: by Monica, White Council (new)

Anastasia wrote: "Hi all !

Excited for two new books coming this year so I thought about doing a series re-read as I haven’t read the Dresden Files in a long time. So I’m starting my re-read of the series June 1. W..."

Wow! You must be a fast reader. Actually it's more that I'm a slow reader (read a lot simply by volume!). But this reread (my fourth) I'm doing the audiobooks. I started in January, and just now I'm listening to Skin Game, having listened to the whole series and short stories. The audiobooks are really an excellent experience.

I've decided to listen to the audiobook of Peace Talks first, mainly because (super nerd time) my collection of the books is in paperback, so I want to buy these in paperback. Which I have to wait a year for *eye roll* (that's so outdated). Or get it from the library, but ours here are still closed. So I'll listen to the audiobooks, then read the book once my library opens up. Then next year I'll buy my copy.

I think I'll take the next day off from work!

message 43: by Monica, White Council (new)

For anyone interested, Jim has posted the first chapter of Peace Talks on the website:
https://www.jim-butcher.com/peace-tal...

I won't be reading the first chapter. I ask that any discussion please use the spoiler block.

message 44: by Caryl (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Please can anyone tell me which book the reference to Tam Lin is in? This is -in the Dresdenverse IIRC- a tale of a Winter Knight who escaped the mantle. In Scots folklore it is the tale of a man who escaped servitude to the fairies with the help of his beloved.

I'm wondering if this apparent drop in is foreshadowing for Harry.

message 45: by Christian (new)

Christian | 144 comments I can’t say that I recall a specific mention of tam Lin, but I think your best shot would be the investigation of the billy goat curse, which is contained in brief cases.

message 46: by Marco (new)

Marco Munoz | 69 comments The reference is in Cold Days, at the end of chapter 7, just when Dresden and Mab are dancing the waltz.

The quote, by Mab, is as follows:

"'That was well-done, wizard,' Mab murmured. 'No one has lifted a hand to them that way since the days of Tam lin.'"

message 47: by Caryl (new)

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Marco wrote: "The reference is in Cold Days, at the end of chapter 7, just when Dresden and Mab are dancing the waltz.

The quote, by Mab, is as follows:

"'That was well-done, wizard,' Mab murmured. 'No one has..."
Thanks

message 48: by Monica, White Council (last edited Jun 30, 2020 06:20PM) (new)

So I realized I kind of died off with my update for each book after Changes. I raced thru the books after that, which was so easy with the audio books. So I'll just throw out a few things here.

The end of Ghost Story, where everything is explained to Harry, always seemed a bit convoluted to me. I think I've finally understood the whole plan. It's still convoluted, but I understand it better. Only took 4 times. Anyone else have trouble with that?

Nothing comes to mind for Cold Days, but Skin Game is so packed with major events! I'm very interested to see where Harry and Karin are. But the question I have for all of you is what you think of Butters! I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms...

message 49: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 14 comments Monica wrote: "The end of Ghost Story, where everything is explained to Harry, always seemed a bit convoluted to me. I think I've finally understood the whole plan. It's still convoluted, but I understand it better. Only took 4 times. Anyone else have trouble with that?"

I didn't have a problem with understanding GHOST STORY—unless I've missed something without realizing it.

I'm only partway through my re-readthrough of COLD DAYS, so I''ll have to punt on that one. SKIN DAYS, I had the same problem understanding it as you did GHOST STORY, only since I've only read it once or twice I have not yet figured it out—which is why I'm not (yet) fond of it. My inability to understand SKIN DAYS is why I'm doing this complete re-readthrough to prepare for the next two books. I was stymied. Anyone else with the same problem?

message 50: by Monica, White Council (new)

I don't blame you there, Wordwizard. There are several levels to the game being played (title is Skin Game, btw). And several players as well. I think it did take a few reads to get it. Actually, things were clearer this time, so I'd have to say 4 reads. Give it another go and see if you like it better this time.

« previous 1