Children's Lit Spring 2020 discussion

Genre Books #1 & #2 (Graphic Novels)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Brandt | 10 comments Mod
In addition to your Blackboard assignment upload, post your book review and recommendations here for both of your books if you signed up for sharing on this genre inside Goodreads! This is a way to share your books with everyone in our class.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Jessen | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1: Picture book (Pre-K- 1st grade)
It’s Pooltime! by Ethan Long
Summary:
This picture book is a day in the life of three friends as they try to stay cool at the pool. The main characters are an elephant, alligator and a bird. The friends partake in many forms of fun and games including mixing up their towels, comparing there diving skills, and fighting over ice cream. They struggle to get along with the circumstances they are involved in, there towels are either too small or too big, the summertime snack shack is out of everything expect one ice cream cone and they can’t quite decide on who has the best dive.

Book recommendation:
I enjoyed reading this picture book because it was cute, and it made me crave summertime with friends but I’m not sure what the point of the book was besides the cuteness. I would recommend it to teachers who teach younger students because of the compression level and illustrations. Overall this book was an easy and cute read.

Graphic Novel #2: Chapter/Young Adult Novel
Babymouse: Queen of the world! By Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm
Summary:
Babymouse is a cute stylish mouse with a big personality. She strives to be as popular as Felicia, another friend at school. Babymouse’s goal was to be invited to her sleepover party and she would do anything and everything to be invited. Turns out, Felicia doesn’t have much to offer Babymouse. The party was not as she imagined it to be. Throughout the book she tried to be pretty glamorous to impress Felicia but at the end she realizes she doesn’t need to be someone she’s not when her friend Wilson excepts her just as she is.

Book recommendation:
The book had a very cute message and cool pink toned illustrations. I was impressed with the way the authors presented the story and I highly recommend this book for girl students. They can benefit highly from learning from Babymouse and the way she presents herself and what she learns from the sleepover at the end of the story.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Aasen | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1: "Picturebook"
Jack and the Box By Art Spiegelman “Picturebook”

Summary:
This book is about a little boy named Jack who gets a toy named Zack. Jack thinks Zack is a silly toy because he likes to pop out and scare Jack. One day Zack talks about his friend named Mack who pops out of Zack with little ducks. They are messing around in Zack’s room and destroy a lamp. Jack is upset until they give him a new lamp, and everything is as good as new. Jack’s parents indeed gave him a silly toy!

Book Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to upper level elementary students because it may be harder for kindergarteners and first graders to read. This book does a great job of rhyming and keeping the beginner reader engaged.

Graphic Novel #2: "Chapter/Young Adult"
The Babysitters Club: Boy Crazy Stacey By Gale Gilligan Genre

Summary:
This book is about a girl named Stacey, who is boy crazy. She is a part of the Babysitters Club and gets invited to go on a trip to Sea City to watch the Pike kids. Stacey meets a boy and falls in love, but he kisses someone else. Stacey then spends the rest of her trip making memories with the kids she is babysitting and hanging out with a different guy that she is falling in love with.

Book Recommendation:
I would recommend this book for middle school students because the language is a little more mature. The illustrations are great at telling the story and really capture the readers attention.

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly Metzger | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1 (Picture book)
Poppy & Sam and the Mole Mystery by CATHON

Summary:
This book is about a girl named Poppy and a panda named Sam who decide to go for a walk and visit their friend, Snuggles the mole. Snuggles tells them that he has lost his glasses, so the three of them retrace his steps to try to find them, but end up finding lots of other things besides his glasses. Finally, at their last stop, they find a bat that found his glasses and together they decide to start a lost and found with the other objects they found along the way.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to early elementary kids because it keeps the reader wondering what is going to happen and teaches them not to steal things. This book is easy to read and has very good illustration and detail.

Graphic Novel #2 (Chapter/Young Adult novel)
Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Summary:
This book was about a girl named Raina who was involved in an accident where she lost both of her front teeth and spends 6th-10th grade getting her smile fixed. While she goes through all of this, her friends aren’t very nice and supportive and eventually she lets them go and realizes she is better off without them. Towards the end of the book, she discovers that she shouldn’t be focused on how other people think of her but rather she focuses on things that interest her which bring out the best version of herself.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to middle elementary students because it is very relatable to how a typical teenager’s life would go including all the ups and downs. It also provides a good message to the readers about not focusing on what others think of you but to love yourself/what you do and then people will start seeing you for who you are. It is a pretty easy read and has good illustrations as well.

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Rutten | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1: “Picture book”
The Boxcar Children: Mystery Ranch by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Summary: This Picture book Graphic Novel is about two girls going to visit their older aunt. Then the girls’ two brothers come along with their dog. The aunt is always cooped up in her room, but the children bring enjoyment into the aunts life. The children inherit the aunts land and need someone to take care of it so their grandfather comes to help.
Book recommendation: I would recommend this Graphic Novel to upper elementary students because there are more difficult words in this book such as uranium. It made me want to spend time with my family and go to a ranch to experience a different lifestyle.

Graphic Novel #2: “Young Adult/Chapter”
Surviving the City by Tasha Spillett and Natasha Donovan
Summary: This Graphic Novel is about a friendship between two Indigenous teen girls, Dez and Miikwan, growing up in the city. As the girls accompany each other through the difficulties that arise, Dez is threatened to move out of her grandmother’s house because she is getting sicker. Dez goes missing and Miikwan is re-living her past because her mother went missing. Luckily Miikwan is always surrounded by her loved ones that have passed. Eventually Dez comes home and the girls are closer than ever!
Book recommendation: I would recommend this Graphic Novel to teachers because there are many Native American traditions such as smudging that students can learn from. Teachers could also use this Graphic Novel to educate students about murdered and missing indigenous women, girls and two-spirit people. Although it is a tough topic to discuss it is important to inform students of our history and present times to help influence our future in a positive way.

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva Mitchell | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1 (Picture book)
A Day at the Fire Station by Lori Mortensen and Jefferey Thompson

Summary:
This book talks about a day in the life of firefighters and everything they do to get ready to go put out a fire. It takes the reader step by step on what firefighters do when they first get to the station, what they do when the siren goes off, how they put on their gear and what steps are needed in order to put out a fire.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to early elementary kids because its not a super high reading level book and is more informational to jobs and people that they might be interested in. It keeps them entertained with the illustrations and colors while also informing them.

Graphic Novel #2 (Chapter/Young Adult novel)
El Deafo by Cece Bell

Summary:
This book is based on Bell’s childhood and growing up while also dealing with becoming deaf. Cece is growing up in the 1970s when being deaf was seen as a disability instead of just loss of hearing, through her childhood, Cece goes through different hearing aids, big machines that make her insecure about her deafness and many ‘friends’ that treat her differently by slowing down their words, yelling or just being plain rude. Although Cece is deaf, when she turns on her hearing aids she becomes El Deafo in her mind and realized she can take on anything that comes at her.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to late elementary and early middle school students because it talks about feeling different which tends to happen around that age. I would also mainly recommend this to children who are deaf and not feeling the most confident or are going through hearing loss.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Pothen | 2 comments Graphic Novel #1: Picturebook
"Hiccup!" by Mike Herrod

Summary: Hiccup! is a story about a young bunny named Jamie who gets hiccups after eating a huge stack of pancakes. Unfortunately, it’s on the same day as his school play, but his friend Jenna comes up with some ways to get rid of them. Throughout the story, he tries these unique and hilarious approaches to relieve his hiccups, including a spinning contraption and an interesting food combination. By the end, the reader is eager to know if the play will go on and Jamie’s hiccups will end.

Recommendation: I would recommend this graphic novel picturebook to beginning readers because the text is simple but interesting enough to compel a new reader to pick up another book after. Since this book is part of a series called "Balloon Toons", I think they would likely try reading another book from this series. The illustrations are also colorful and eye-catching so it would also draw the young reader in. The story is also simple enough to not confuse the reader and it has some funny aspects to it which is always a positive for young children to enjoy.

Graphic Novel #2: Chapter/Young Adult Novel
"Tom’s Midnight Garden" by Philippa Pearce

Summary: This book tells the story of a young teen boy named Tom who is sent off to his Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan’s house during the summer because his brother Peter has the measles. Until his aunt and uncle are sure he has not caught the measles as well, he has to stay indoors all day. His boredom is becoming almost unbearable until one night when he hears the grandfather clock downstairs strike thirteen. He opens the back door to let some light in and read the clock. What he finds though amazes him. He finds a huge, beautiful garden all across the backyard. Throughout the novel, Tom keeps going back to the garden and eventually befriends a young girl living there. They play fun games together and have a great time, but Peter is also curious to find out what the garden means.

Recommendation: I would recommend this young adult graphic novel for a few reasons. The text at times uses more advanced, larger words. I think this is good though because it challenges the reader to use the context to figure out the meaning. The storyline is also very interesting because it involves some sort of fantastical mystery that I believe would intrigue a lot of young middle-schoolers. The illustrations are done in a very appealing way as well. The details in the character’s expression and the setting are very well-done because it reflects what the text is saying and adds to it. The only possible problem I have with this book is the mention of more adult topics. At one point the uncle briefly mentions abuse and one of the illustrations is a little graphic showing blood. At a middle school level though, I think these topics would be okay to see in the book.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Glass | 2 comments Sisters by Raina Telgemeier
Graphic Novel (Memoir)
Chapter/Young Adult Novel

Summary:
Two sisters, Raina and Amara, along with their younger brother and parents, take a road trip to Colorado to go visit family. Raina, annoyed with Amara, eventually remembers why she wanted a sister so desperately. After spending time with her rude cousins, being trapped in the broken-down car together, and working through tough times, Raina and Amara become not only sisters, but best friends.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this book to younger readers who live the average American life. It is definitely geared towards girls who indeed have sisters. The illustrations along with it, certainly make it a more interesting and entertaining read.

Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad by Michael Martin
Graphic Novel
Picturebook

Summary:
This picturebook tells the story of Harriet Tubman, how she escaped to freedom, and how she helped 300 others escape as well in her lifetime. When Harriet finds out she is about to be auctioned off to the deep South, she decides she needs to flee, or she will never have a chance of freedom. There were people who helped her along the way to Pennsylvania. Eventually, she made countless trips back down and helped others escape to freedom.

Recommendation:
I recommend this book to teachers when teaching about the topic of slavery, civil war, or even role models. With its true story and facts, students and others can learn a lot. The book was also kept interesting with a mix of both caption narrations and speech bubbles. Its design also looks like a comic book, portraying Harriet as a hero.

message 9: by Cece (last edited Jan 30, 2020 08:33AM) (new)

Cece | 1 comments • BENJAMIN BEAR in Bright Ideas by Philippe Coudray
• Picture book
• Book summary: The book is about the different ideas that Benjamin the bear comes up with to solve various problems. The ideas are all creative; some being helpful, silly or simply not needed. Along with Benjamin the bear solving problems, there are simply silly stories added into the mix.
• Book recommendation :BENJAMIN BEAR in Bright Ideas is an ideal book for kids who are just beginning to read. This book is a level 2 easy reader grades 1-2. The imagination is ignited in this book, by not only reading the words but by analyzing the pictures.

• LEGENDS OF ZITA THE SPACEGIRL by Ben Hatke
• Graphic novel
• Chapter book
• Book summary: Go on an adventure with Zita the space girl in LEGENDS OF ZITA THE SPACEGIRL. Zita is ambushed with fans wanting to talk to her when she escapes the crowd and meets a robot that ends up looking like her and has the robot take her place, so she can have a break. The look-a-like robot takes her place longer than Zita wants, which brings Zita onto a new adventure chasing after her ship. In the end the story will surprise you with friendship and sacrifices and a look into the beginning of the next adventure.
• Book Recommendation: LEGENDS OF ZITA THE SPACEGIRL is the book for those who are looking for a fairly easy reading level and a lot of pictures in a comic book layout. The pictures will help the imagination as the reader not only reads the words but dives into what they interpret the pictures to be saying.