TW Book Club discussion

What have people read lately?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 221 comments Checking in since it's been quiet in this club. Just started rereading Bluest Eye. It's been about 30 years since I last read it.

But started off the year with some books I really enjoyed. Read Carmen Machado's In the Dream House. A memoir with a heavy topic (an abusive relationship) but one of the most creatively done memoirs I've ever read, and plenty of dark humor and pop culture references.

The most fun I've had in a long time was Jeanette Winterson's Frankissstein. I might recommend it for our club down the road, My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And just finished Ann Patchett's much acclaimed The Dutch House. I'm a bit Patchett fan and love the characters she draws, so I enjoyed it, but it doesn't hold a candle to State of Wonder or Bel Canto, her books I most recommend.

Anyone else have reviews to share?

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wendt (wendtastic) | 378 comments Mod
This group has been quiet! I finished the Bluest Eye yesterday. I'm waiting to comment much on it until others are done, but ill put comments in that thread. I read Where'd You Go, Bernadette around the holidays so I'm reading a couple of others by the author. I liked This One is Mine but not as much as Bernadette. Just starting Today will be different. she definitely has a common theme - a woman, strong and successful, but weird, but people live her anyway, or because of her weird, a husband that's a starting force, a strange but good mom, and chaos ensues. I like it - easy break after a serious or dry book. I think Catherine suggested Frankissstein a while back. We have room for one more book this year I think...if not, first thing 2021. unless everyone ends up reading it on the side before then.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

so many typos and GR won't let me edit my post. How embarrassing.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Catherine wrote: "Don’t worry about typos, Tracy. I always have issues with autocorrect saying stuff I never intended. I know it’s quiet on this forum, but I think we are all still trying to get in the swing of Jan...."

Thanks, Catherine! I am learning that commenting via phone is not as easy as via laptop. I'm also loving our club and looking forward to 2020 books!

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 175 comments I hate the GR app. I was using the desktop version on my phone and think I'll go back to that

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 119 comments I've given my first thoughts on this book, but December and January have been brutal for me too....so I sympathize with others.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 221 comments Jackie, I hate it too!!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 175 comments Just finished Ann Patchett's Bel Canto. Many thanks, to Sam I believe, for the recommend. I absolutely loved it. After The Dutch House and Bel Canto she is definitely an author I will continue to seek out