Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Promotions, Deals & New Releases > Avoiding Fantasy-Romance

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 92 comments I would love it if the Fantasy-Romance subgenre was named as such...so I could avoid it. I have nothing against it. If you want to read about love, have at it! But so many times when looking for reviewers for my work, I come across bloggers who say "I read fantasy" and give no indication that what they really mean is "I read speculative romances." They're not interested in Epic or S&S. They mostly just want hotties hooking up. Bah, I sound like an old grump (which I am). I suppose what I'm saying is, I'd just like more delineation used to save us all time.

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Christopher | 67 comments Paranormal Romance is a thing.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 428 comments Most of the time it seems that sort of thing gets classed into urban fantasy or paranormal romance

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 92 comments I see Paranormal Romance used sometimes. I wish it would was implemented more often, or maybe I mean more broadly. I wonder if it's not being used as much because it's trending towards meaning specifically shifter fiction. Seems like every time I see it used these days it's tagging werewolf, etc type of stuff.

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Christopher | 67 comments The worst thing is when you do an online search for fantasy, you get flooded with fantasy football.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 92 comments Martin wrote: "The worst thing is when you do an online search for fantasy, you get flooded with fantasy football."

Yup!

message 7: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 66 comments I would love it if Amazon used the principle of genres correctly.

message 8: by Martin (new)

Martin Christopher | 67 comments Or goodreads. Which has Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire listed as among the most popular Sword and Sorcery books.