Manchester District Library Book Club discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
2019-2020 Season > February 2020 Discussion: Pride and Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shea | 196 comments Mod
Please share your thoughts about this classic romantic novel.

Shea | 196 comments Mod
Although I started reading it twice before the charming third time when I read it all the way through this novel became one of my favorites when I read it years ago. I am a fan of historical fiction but since this was written as a contemporary novel and is now historical it has greater authenticity. This is the book that began my love of Jane Austen. She was sharp, witty and a keen observer of human nature, which has changed little in the 200+ years since the book was published. I am really looking forward to revisiting these characters and hearing what the rest of the group thinks about the book.

message 3: by Brenda (last edited Jan 16, 2020 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brenda | 1 comments I've read a fair amount of classic British literature, but I admittedly find Jane Austen to be a challenge for me. I've much preferred the Bronte sisters - Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are books I've read 3-4 times.

I've tried to read Pride & Prejudice before and have never finished it. I'm going to reapproach this and see how it goes. I'm hoping something will click with me this time?

Shea | 196 comments Mod
If you find you just can't make it through the book I recommend the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle miniseries. It is a well done BBC production which is very true to the book (minus Mr. Darcy's dip in the lake).