You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long > Janice's Serial Slasher

Comments (showing 1-50 of 193) (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Series on the go:

✔ - All Souls Trilogy - 3/3 read
Black Dagger Brotherhood - 4/13 read
✔ - Breathless 3/3 read
The Broken Empire - 1/3 read
Burton & Swinburne - 1/5 read
Chet and Bernie Mystery - 1/8
✔ - Charley Davidson - 8/8
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache - 1/10 read
✔ - The Chosen Soul - 3/3 read
The Chronicles of St Mary's - 1/4 read
✔ - The Dark Tower - 7/7 read
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - 1/3 read
Department Q - 2/6 read
Discworld - 2/41 read
Discworld: Death - 1/5 read
Discworld: Rincewind - 1/8 read ❥
Dortmunder - 1/15 read ❥
The Dresden Files - 5/15 read
✔ - Dublin Murder Squad - 5/5 read
Earth's Children - 5/6 read
The First Law - 1/6 read
✔ - Gentleman Bastard - 3/3 read
The Godlanders War - 1/3 read
✔ - The Hangman's Daughter - 5/5 read
✔ - Harry Hole - 10/10 read
In Death - 3/41 read
Infernal Devices - 1/3 read
✔ - The Iron Druid - 7/7 read
Kate Daniels - 6/8 read ❥
The Last Apprentice - 1/13
✔ - The Lunar Chronicles - 4/4 read
The Magicians - 1/3 ❥
✔ - Matthew Corbett - 5/5 read
Merrily Watkins - 4/12 read
✔ - Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children - 3/3 read
Mercy Thompson - 1/8 read
Mistress of the Art of Death - 2/4 read
The Murder Squad - 1/4 read
New Species 3/13 read ❥
Newsflesh - 1/3 read
Night Angel - 1/3 read
Night Huntress - 1/7 read
Pendergast - 5/14 read
Reincarnationist 1/6 read
A Song of Ice and Fire - 2/5 read
Sookie Stackhouse - 2/13 read
Tales Of The Otori - 1/4 read
Tiki Goddess Mystery - 2/4 read
Twenty Palaces - 1/3 read
The Silo Trilogy - 1/3 read
Vlad Taltos - 1/14 read
W.A.R.P. Series - 1/3 read
✔ - Wayward Pines - 3/3 read

Series not started but have books in them

Level One
Level Two
Level Three
Level Four
Level Five
Level Six
Level Seven
Level Eight
Level Nine

♦ = previous read (no points)
✔ = read for challenge (5 points)
☛ = currently reading
❥ = series added/books purchased after this damned challenge began (doesn't include series added to my wishlist)

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Continuation of msg 1: Series not started yet. Have the books.

Alex Verus - 0/6
Caster Chronicles - 0/4 read ❥
The Chalice Trilogy - 0/3 read
The Danaan Trilogy - 0/3 read
A Darker Shade of Magic - 0/3 read
Down The Long Wind - 0/4 read
Fever - 0/7 read ❥
Flynn Brothers - 0/3 read ❥
Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht - 0/5 read ❥
Harrow House - 0/4 read ❥
The Hungering Saga - 0/3 read
The Janna Mysteries - 0/6 read ❥
The Last Quarrel - 0/5 read ❥
Liam Campbell - 0/5 read
Legends of Muirwood - 0/3 read ❥
Matthew Shardlake - 0/6 read
Mickey Haller - 0/5 read
Monster Hunter International - 0/5 read ❥
Night Prince - 0/3 read ❥
The Others - 0/3 read ❥
The Original Shannara Trilogy - 0/3 read
Repairman Jack The Early Years - 0/3 read
Servants of Fate - 0/3 read ❥
Stephanie Plum - 0/22 read ❥
The Taker Trilogy - 0/3 read ❥
Throne of Glass - 0/4 read ❥
Legends of the Duskwalker - 0/3 read ❥

❥ = series added/books purchased after challenge began (doesn't include series added to my wishlist)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:28PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Level One

100 pts - Harry Hole Series

♦ - 0 pt - The Bat book 1
♦ - 0 pt - Cockroaches book 2
♦ - 0 pt - The Redbreast book 3
♦ - 0 pt - Nemesis book 4
♦ - 0 pt - The Devil's Star book 5
♦ - 0 pt - The Snowman book 7
♦ - 0 pt - The Leopard book 8
✔ - 5 pt - The Redeemer book 6
✔ - 5 pt - Phantom book 9
✔ - 5 pt - Police book 10

Total points: 115 Completed Jan 21/15

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Level Two

50 Pts - Matthew Corbett

♦ - 0 pt - Speaks the Nightbird book 1
♦ - 0 pt - The Queen of Bedlam book 2
♦ - 0 pt - Mister Slaughterbook 3
✔ - 5 pt - The Providence Rider book 4
✔ - 5 pt - The River of Souls Book 5

30 pts - Wayward Pines

♦ - 0 pt -Pines
✔ - 5 pt - Wayward
✔ - 5 pt - The Last Town

Total - 100 points Completed Feb 8/15

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Level Three

30 points - Breathless
30 + 10 book points = 40

♦ - 0 pt - Rush
✔ - 5 pts - Fever
✔ - 5 pts - Burn

30 pts - All Souls Trilogy
30 + 5 book points - 35

♦ - 0 pt - A Discovery of Witches
♦ - 0 pt - Shadow of Night
✔ - 5 pts - The Book of Life

25 book points:

✔ - 5 pts - The Waste Lands
✔ - 5 pts - The Reincarnationist
✔ - 5 pts - Wool Omnibus
✔ - 5 pts - The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack
✔ - 5 pts - Fury

Total points - 40+35+25=100 Completed March 24, 2015

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Level Four

30 points - Gentlemen Bastards
30 + 10 book points = 40

♦ - 0 pt - The Lies of Locke Lamora
✔ - 5 pts - Red Seas Under Red Skies
✔ - 5 pts - The Republic of Thieves

50 pts - Dublin Murder Squad
50 + 15 book points = 65

♦ - 0 pt - In the Woods
✔ - 5 pts - The Likeness
♦ - 0 pt - Faithful Place
✔ - 5 pts - Broken Harbour
✔ - 5 pts - The Secret Place

Orphan series books:

✔ - Wizard and Glass
✔ - The Color of Magic
✔ - Revenge of the Witch

Total points - 40 + 65 + 15 = 120

Level completed May 10, 2015

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Level 5

70 pts - The Iron Druid
70 + 20 book points = 90

Level Completed July 11, 2015

♦ - 0 pt - Hounded
♦ - 0 pt - Hexed
♦ - 0 pt - Hammered
✔ - 5 pts - Tricked
✔ - 5 pts - Trapped
✔ - 5 pts - Hunted
✔ - 5 pts - Shattered

Orphan Series Books:

✔ - 5 pts - Child of Fire
✔ - 5 pts - The Reluctant Assassin
✔ - 5 pts -Wolves of the Calla
✔ - 5 pts - The Hot Rock

Total Points - 90 + 20 = 110

message 8: by Almeta (last edited Dec 05, 2014 06:08AM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7861 comments I noticed that you had Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series listed in FicFact.

I loved this series. It is one that I immediately sought one after the other. I intended to read her forever and so was terribly upset when she died in 2011.

I think you will like the series as well. I know that you have difficulty in reading books in which children are hurt, kidnapped or killed. This first book does contain such a theme. Don't let that stop you from reading it. The plot is not that gruesome or detailed. I think you can get through it undisturbed.☺

ETA: Oh, NEVER MIND!!!! I see now that you have already read it!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments ROFL! I've been meaning to read the remaining books in the series for some time now. I also was upset that the series wouldn't have a proper ending and that has deterred me from reading the other books a little bit. But I really enjoyed the first one - gave it 5 stars.

message 10: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments Dom and I have Pendergast on our lists too.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments My problem now is to decide what series to tackle first. I'm thinking Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole and Pendergast. I have all of Nesbo's books, and most of Pendergast, just missing the next two.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 14221 comments Janice wrote: "My problem now is to decide what series to tackle first. I'm thinking Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole and Pendergast. I have all of Nesbo's books, and most of Pendergast, just missing the next two."

I'm going to prioritise Nemesis so I can quickly catch up with you guys and join any planned buddy reads.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments I'm ready to read The Devil's Star which is book 5. After The Redeemer (book 6) I jump to Book 9 & 10 because I read Book 7 & 8 before I jumped back to the beginning.

I'm not sure where everyone is with the series as far as how I will fit in with a buddy read.

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther (Nyctale) | 1915 comments Harry hole: at am at the 4th one. I will try to get it early so i can join also at the 5th.

message 15: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Oooooooooooo, I think I need to change my page. =(

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Harry Hole is going to be the first series I kill off.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments I haven't even kicked him off yet and you're going to kill him off. Poor Harry. :)

message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments I haven't even kicked him off yet and you're going to kill him off. Poor Harry. :)

message 19: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments Janice wrote: "Harry Hole is going to be the first series I kill off."

Poor Harry. He shouldn't be killed.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Poor Harry. He's doing a good job of killing himself. He doesn't need my help. LOL!

message 21: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments So true!

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments It's funny. Even though he's so flawed, you can't help but root for him and make allowances for his failures. In real life, I'd give him a wide berth.

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments Oh, now you have me really curious about reading about him. I have had The Bat for over a year and never found time to read it.

message 24: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments Cherie wrote: "Oh, now you have me really curious about reading about him. I have had The Bat for over a year and never found time to read it."

It is a good book, Cherie.

message 25: by Jannene (last edited Dec 23, 2014 11:38AM) (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments Janice wrote: "It's funny. Even though he's so flawed, you can't help but root for him and make allowances for his failures. In real life, I'd give him a wide berth."

He seems to be his own worst enemy. I didn't care for Lucas Davenport who reminded me a lot of Harry.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments I really enjoy the series, Cherie. I've got all 10 books in the series. I'm just anxious to finally finish them though.

This morning, I picked up 6 "Firsts in a Series" for free from iBooks. I may need to extend this challenge for a few years.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments About 99 years should do it for me, Janice!

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments By the way, you have Department Q listed twice. :P

message 29: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 1133 comments Cherie wrote: "By the way, you have Department Q listed twice. :P"

She really wants to finish that series.

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments ROFL!

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sanlema) | 5807 comments So funny Jannene!

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments I was just testing to see if anyone noticed .

message 33: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments I thought about doing Department Q also, but I did some research and book 6 doesn't have a publish date for the English translation. His next book translated into English is a Stand Alone due out in April 2015.

I was thinking of doing the late James Thompson's series - Inspecter Kari Vaara, but his last book won't be released until 12/29/2015.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 27, 2014 08:22PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I thought about doing Department Q also, but I did some research and book 6 doesn't have a publish date for the English translation. His next book translated into English is a Stand Alone due out i..."

For the purposes of this challenge, we count only books published in English. That would make this a 5 book series because we don't count the 6th.

And only published books count, so the Inspector Kari Vaara series will be considered a 5 book series. If you are still reading the series when the 6th book is published, you'll need to read the 6th book.

message 35: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Oh goodie!!!!!!!!!!!

I can do both, Thankie, Thanks, and thank you! I'm dying to read both of them!!! Got 5 more series to add =) tomorrow

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments LOL! I'm glad you're happy with the answers.

I didn't realize that I had the first book of Inspector Kari Vaara series, Snow Angels, on my wishlist. I may be joining you with that series.

message 37: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Kari Vaara Series is awesome! Jim Thompson was my 1st GR friend - I was so sad when I learned of his untimely death in Aug.

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Janice, you already own the entire series for each of those listed in your second list? That is pretty brave!

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments I already own all the Harry Hole books, if that's what you mean by my second list. My son gave me an iTunes gift card for birthday or Christmas one year. I'd already read 2 books on audiobooks. The others either weren't available on audio or the narrator had been changed, so I filled in the blanks with ebooks. Robin Sachs was the voice of Harry to me, and after he died, nobody else even came close, so I'm happy to finish the series on ebook.

I also own all the The Hangman's Daughter books. Kindle offered them for $.99 each and I figured that I spend more than $4.00 on a single book so it wouldn't be a huge loss if I hated the first book.

message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Oh, those special ebook deals. I've purchased most (or all) of a series that way too.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments I think I should give priority to the series for which I have most of the books.

message 42: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Hi Janice,

With your answers I have decided what series to add. Planned them tonight - tomorrow, type them on my thread. Going to add 6.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Awesome! I can't wait to see what you put down.

message 44: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 12710 comments I added Pendergast to my list after I found that book with the black and white cover (that I bought for one of your monthly challenges and never read). Anyway, I found out it was #13. Figure I might as well read it.

My list is getting scary! I think I need to re-sort it into three sections tomorrow.

message 45: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Sugar, I'm typing in my new level series now, but I don't know what to do with Department Q! Do I list it as 6 when only 5 have been translated?

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sanlema) | 5807 comments According with what I remember only the translated books count. So it should be 5.

message 47: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Sandra wrote: "According with what I remember only the translated books count. So it should be 5."

Thanks Sandra =)

message 48: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) | 5424 comments Ok completely random comment here. Made me remember with talk of translations. Goodreads is always if you reaf or shelved this then you may like this recommendation. Well yesterday they recommended a bunch of books shown in non English versions. Um no Goodreads actually when I don't even know the language to read the title I probably am not interested in at least that version.

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sanlema) | 5807 comments That's weird Travis.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 03, 2015 09:38AM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29373 comments Sandra nailed it - the challenge excludes editions in languages other than your own.

I haven't checked the Goodreads recommendations in a while. I usually only do that when I'm bored. There was a time I was getting recommendations for books in Arabic. I starting clicking "not interested" on them in hopes that they'd stop. I think there's something missing in their algorithm.

« previous 1 3 4