Play Book Tag discussion

Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
This topic is about Olive Kitteridge
Archive: Other Books > Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout 2.5/5

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I'm rating this book a bit more harshly than I may have because of its Pulitzer status. Also, I probably would never have read it if not for its Pulitzer status, so there's that.

I didn't hate it.

The thing is if I wanted to know boring details about my neighbor's lives, I'd talk to my neighbors. "Profound insights?" Um, no. People get sick and die so we should be pragmatic about it? Is that a profound insight? Not to me. Now I'm getting pissed, LOL.

I did like Olive, quirky beast that she is. And the stories about her and her immediate family saved me from hating the book. I could have done without all the other people. They felt like filler. The other thing that really enormously bugged me is that a number of these stories were published elsewhere so when you are reading them all together, there's repetitiveness. i.e. (intentionally vague to avoid any kind of spoiler) Olive spends a week with some people and there are two children. In another chapter, we are again told that this person married someone with two children. I mean, I know, it was last chapter. I feel like if you are turning short stories into a "connected" novel, clean that crap up.

OK, I'm done ranting. I loved My Name Is Lucy Barton so it's not that I don't like this type of writing, I just don't find this particular book worth all the hype. Sorry.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 8285 comments Quite a number of us are with you, Nicole!

message 3: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments See this is why I've put off reading this book. But I think Susie loved it, so I'm conflicted it.

message 4: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Oh what a shame. I did indeed love Olive.