Happier Podcast Book Club discussion

Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
This topic is about Wild Game
Winter 2020: Wild Game > Fourth Book Choice: Wild Game

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gretchen (last edited Feb 12, 2020 10:11AM) (new) - added it

Gretchen Rubin (gretchen_rubin) | 13 comments Mod
Announcement: We're excited to announce our next Happier Podcast Book Club choice—Adrienne Brodeur’s gripping memoir, Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me.

This book is generating a tremendous amount of buzz and was an instant bestseller. The New York Times Book Review described it: “Exquisite and harrowing. . . . gorgeously written and deeply insightful.”

We'll discuss the book in February, so get reading and add your questions here.

UPDATE: You can now listen to the podcast episode with Adrienne Brodeur here: https://gretchenrubin.com/podcast-epi...

Heather Frye | 1 comments I heard about the book first on Dani Shapiro’s Family Secrets podcast. It is exquisitely written! I’d like to know what advice she’d now give her 14 year old self? Would she tell her not to get involved or that it was all worth it to see her mother’s happiness?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Jones | 1 comments Thank you so much for starting this club! I've never been part of a book club, but I have been listening to you for a couple years and in 2020 I decided to sign up for your HPE course and follow along with the reading suggestions!

I'm already halfway through the book, and as a 34 year old male... I've never read/thought so much from a woman's perspective. I feel like I'm eavesdropping on girl-culture when I read about her evolving relationship with her mom. This is a book I would typically never have picked up, so thanks for opening the door to a world I never considered before. Kudos! -Jason

Ileana Granados | 1 comments I have a question for the author's interview: why did she choose to tell her story? She promised her mother she wouldn't (of course her mother told anyone, mostly), but I'm intrigued by the inner motivations that moved Mrs. Brodeur to share her heart with us. Thanks!

Susan Y | 2 comments I found it interesting that the author was raised without what most would consider good guidance regarding honesty. The story about Malabar sending Rennie out to pick the neighbor’s flowers over and over is a good example. Of course the most striking example is Rennie being taught to lie and scheme from the age of 14. At what point in her youth or adulthood did the author realize that her upbringing in this regard was not the norm? In the book she has realized this, but when and how did she develop her own moral compass? Does the author have a personal code or policy about lying now that she’s seen what sort of effects lies have had on families and family members?

Julie Harris (julieharris) | 1 comments Hi there - The question that burns in my mind, having just finished the book is, "Did Adrienne ever have that conversation - that moment of clarity - with her mother that she so longed for? Did Malabar ever realise that co-opting her young teen daughter in her affair would have long-lasting effects? Did she take responsibility?" My sense is no, and if it is no, has Adrienne accepted and let that go - without making excuses for her mother? In other words, has she been able to say, "What happened was not okay. I didn't deserve that. I am worthy. But it's what happened. And I'm still okay."

message 7: by Kellie (new) - added it

Kellie B | 1 comments I loved what the author said in the Epilogue about how her decision to start this story with her mother's kiss as the point of origin impacted how the reading audience viewed Malabar. It is interesting to think about our own life stories in this way--how people can view us differently based on their point of origin in OUR stories.

Helen (helendt) | 1 comments This was such a gripping, wise, beautifully evocative memoir. Does the author have a favourite work of memoir/what other works of memoir helped her to learn get craft?

Belinda | 7 comments What an excellent read! I just finished listening to the podcast with the author and absolutely agree that we read the book through our own lens. I grew up with an emotionally abusive mother and found the book to be a difficult read even though I read it in one day. I've been through a lot of my own therapy, but I still can't understand how she was able to forgive her. Logically, I get that the mother was damaged, but it still didn't give her license to pass that damage on. Thankfully, the author broke the cycle with her own family.

Belinda | 7 comments Kellie wrote: "I loved what the author said in the Epilogue about how her decision to start this story with her mother's kiss as the point of origin impacted how the reading audience viewed Malabar. It is interes..."

Yes! She addressed this beautifully in the podcast with Gretchen and Elizabeth.