Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

You (You, #1)
This topic is about You
Book Discussion and Reviews > You and Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brittany (gamerkiti) I hope this is the right place to post this!! I'm looking for a few people that have read You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes to discuss with! I found the show on Netflix and binge watched both seasons over 3 days the first week of January while I had some time off from work. I loved the show so much that I bought the digital copy of You so I could speed read through it and then do the same with Hidden Bodies (You, #2) by Caroline Kepnes to try and figure out what to *possibly* expect from season 3. **I'd like to point out that I haven't read Hidden Bodies yet** I was so disappointed with You (the book) that I ended up actually giving it a 2 star review here on GR. Although I admittedly devoured the book, I just can't help feeling like it was absolutely awful. I'm not sure if my views on the book are just tainted though since I watched the show first. So I'd love for some input from any of you that have actually read the book to see if I'm just crazy!

message 2: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2486 comments Mod
I read it last year and I enjoyed the show better :-)

Hidden Bodies is on my challenge for this year for a book inspired by something you read last year ( however it's worded). I watched a few episodes of Season 2 but I had to go back to season one and refresh lol. I did hear that the show for hidden bodies isn't anything at all like the book and doesn't spoil it. Not sure how true that is.

We'll have to buddy read/watch :-)

message 3: by Brittany (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Brittany (gamerkiti) Tracy wrote: "I read it last year and I enjoyed the show better :-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the show is better. I'll admit I didn't read anything last year, so I've listed You as the book for "a book set somewhere you wouldn't want to live" because 1: I never want to live in NY (too many people for me) and 2: I definitely never want to "live" in the cross-hairs of a serial stalker/killer lol. I'm still waiting to get a copy of Hidden Bodies from my library's digital collection because I refuse to spend another $13 if it is anything like You haha.

And I'd absolutely be down for a buddy read :) I'll hopefully be able to get a digital copy in about 5-ish weeks because I'm #7 on the waitlist.

message 4: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve | 529 comments I haven't seen the show; I'll probably get to it eventually. But You was one of my favorite reads from my 2018 list. I enjoyed the second person narrative and the overall voice.

Hidden Bodies was much less enjoyable for me. The location shift, the voice shift... they didn't work great for me. I felt like the plot was more absurd as well.

Brittany (gamerkiti) Steve wrote: I haven't seen the show; I'll probably get to it eventually. But You was one of my favorite reads from my 2018 list.

Maybe that's where I went wrong then, since I watched the show first. I've seen so many people give it such high praise...maybe I'll read it again in a few months when the show isn't so fresh in my mind.

message 6: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 16, 2020 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2486 comments Mod
Brittany, I'm laughing at loud at "I'd never want to live in NY"....I feel you XD.

Let me know when you're hold comes in and I'll read with you.

Steve, I enjoyed the book... I gave it 4 stars, I just liked watching the show better.

Brittany (gamerkiti) Tracy wrote: "Brittany, I'm laughing at loud at "I'd never want to live in NY"....I feel you XD."

HAHA, glad you got a kick out of that :P I've only ever been to New York once and it was for my 28th birthday, I bought tickets to see Cursed Child on Broadway. It was a great experience, but 100% could never live there haha.

Brooke | 224 comments I haven't seen the show yet (it is on my ever-growing list of shows to binge), but I did like the book You. I will say that because I liked it so much I read Hidden Bodies shortly after, and I didn't like it. I 100% agree with Steve that the location shift and change of narration didn't work. It is so different from You that maybe you will enjoy it more. :-)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Brooke wrote: "It is so different from You that maybe you will enjoy it more. :-)"

I hope so! I keep checking overdrive a few times a day to see if anyone has dropped out of the queue to read it...but sadly I'm still #7 lol

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I really liked You and rated it 4 stars when I read it, but I honestly think I'd likely give it a 5 if I'd first read it now since it was really very minor points that made me dock a star.

Hidden Bodies was disappointing. Hollywood should have been such an amazing setting for Joe, but losing the second person narration didn't work for me, and the story just seemed to meander around with no clear direction.

message 11: by Jody (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I also really enjoyed the book (I think I rated it 4-stars) - it was a total surprise for me as it’s not usually my thing. I haven’t read the second one yet, but I’m not sure I want to now after reading these comments! I had wondered how closely S2 of the show was based on the book, it’s good to know it’s not really, I can watch the show without feeling worried about spoiling it.

I enjoyed the show, but I liked the book more, mostly because I didn’t really like the character of Beck in the show, so I wasn’t really rooting for her. Dan from Gossip Girl was totally creepy though, he nailed it. I don’t really get all of the people crushing on him though - they realise he’s a total nut job, right?!

Avery (averyapproved) | 471 comments I just finished reading Hidden Bodies and it's really not worth it. There are several flaws with Hidden Bodies, such as the location change like the others have mentioned. The plot focuses way too much on Hollywood and aspirations, that it loses the thriller/suspense vibes that the first book has. Also, Joe's love interests in Hidden Bodies just aren't as likable as Beck was in You. And the fact that the second TV show season diverges from the second book also makes it just not worth the read :(

Brittany (gamerkiti) Honestly at this rate, I'm not sure when I'll get to read Hidden Bodies....I'm still #5 in line for my library's copy. So by the time I get to it I'll probably have lost all interest LOL

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jan 23, 2020 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
There was a big gap between when I read the book and watched the show. So I can’t compare them super well. But I did really enjoy the book. At the time, it was unique and the character of Joe was compelling, especially since I hated Bec (making me slightly less protective her).

As far as season 3, (view spoiler)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Laura wrote: "As far as season 3,..."

I completely agree with your theory for season 3. (view spoiler)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I've heard that Caroline Kepnes is writing more books in this series now, and I'm a bit confused about how that's going to work. I assume she's writing more with the intent of them being adapted to the Netflix series, but considering how different Hidden Bodies was from Season 2, I don't know how she'll accomplish that.

message 17: by Jody (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I just finished S2, and I kind of wish I had just left it as a single season. It felt to me like it jumped the shark - it was just too crazy, and too many side things going on. It was a bit frantic, S1 felt much tighter & well written.

message 18: by Joan (last edited Mar 02, 2020 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 1546 comments I just finished Hidden Bodies and I found it entertaining. I read the books far enough apart that I didn't notice the narration shift. To me it sounded the same kind of Joe crazy. It did get a little much with all that happened but I just went with the story. The dark humor made me laugh and I thought it was hilarious when he referred to the mugofurine. The fact that he kept making fun of himself with his mistake I found funny. To me he became a likable criminal.

I liked the change to Hollywood. To me if the setting wasn't changed then it would just be the same story. I found it believable that he couldn't stand the people from Hollywood.

I enjoyed both books. (view spoiler)

Can't wait to watch season 2