Play Book Tag discussion

Into the Planet: My Life as a Cave Diver
This topic is about Into the Planet
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Into the Planet - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by forsanolim (last edited Jan 16, 2020 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

forsanolim | 467 comments Diver Jill Heinerth recounts her experiences from getting into diving as a young marketing executive to leading the first diving expedition below icebergs in Antarctica. Her excitement for diving is really clear; her descriptions of the landscapes and views she experiences while diving are incredible, and she also makes the logistics of diving quite accessible to readers. She also comments on her life more broadly and how diving has intertwined with her sense of being, from her marriage to her status as one of only a few professional women in diving.

I first learned about this book a while ago, I believe after reading the magnificent Deep a few years ago. I'm very happy that I finally got around to reading it, and I thought it was a fascinating look into another extreme sport that I have very little desire to actually do but that is from a somewhat distant vantage really fascinating.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments This book looks fascinating! I don't think it is tagged exactly "survival" for February but I think it totally fits the theme.

I love books about diving and other water-based things, and I love books about strong women. Seems like a no-brainer for me!

On a separate note, when I applied to graduate school, I applied in Alaska. When I learned that part of the research would require me to dive under ice to collect samples of ice algae I quickly withdrew my application. I love to dive and have done a ton of it, but diving under ice? No thank you.

message 3: by annapi (last edited Jan 22, 2020 09:41PM) (new)

annapi | 4965 comments LOL I'm with you, Nicole! I don't even like to dive in California, the water's too cold for me. I'm used to 75-80 degree water in the Philippines and I know I'm spoiled, but why should I suffer when I'm supposed to be enjoying my sport? Even in the Philippines it's cold on a night dive, and I used to have the boatmen bring a tub of hot water for me, and I would pour it into my wetsuit after the dive. Made the boat ride back to the resort much more comfortable!

But I'm sure ice diving is fascinating!

forsanolim | 467 comments I think it would definitely count for survival!

And yeah, while diving seems fascinating in general, diving under ice or in really tight spaces seems much less so.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Anna, I am right there with you! The bulk of my diving has been in the Bahamas where the water is warm and super clear! It has totally spoiled me.

I have done colder water diving (I am dry suit certified, which I got when I applied for school in Alaska! Lol) but, like you, why would I want to be freezing when I am diving for fun? Shivering to death is not fun. lol.

I dove once in CA, Monterey Bay, and not only was it cold, but there was a lot of kelp. I did not enjoy that. I kept envisioning a great white coming out of the kelp right at me. Irrational? Probably. Lol

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments I’m gonna remember the tub of hot water to pour in my wetsuit though. Never even occurred to me but it is brilliant.