SANDITON Discussion Group discussion

Sanditon
This topic is about Sanditon
Morning Kick Off Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Massachusetts Center for the Book (massbook) | 30 comments Mod
6 of us met in go to meeting this a.m. for a kickoff discussion. I'm looking forward to the noontime meeting, too! Afterward, I'll post some of the main points we covered in both groups.

What are some of the topics you want to cover? Cheers! Sharon

message 2: by Gerry (new)

Gerry (gerrydey) | 1 comments Family Dynamics! The family relationships interest and amuse me and the differences in personalities and interactions with each other.

Gerry wrote: "Family Dynamics! The family relationships interest and amuse me and the differences in personalities and interactions with each other."

I think those Denhams are going to give new meaning to the phrase "family relationships"!!

Among the topics we covered in our go-to-meeting convo:

1. four single women that men may/may not be trying to attach themselves to: Charlotte, Clara, Miss Lambe, and Esther Denham ... what to make of the futures the series gives to each?
2. is Sidney Parker meant to be something of a Darcy-like personality? Is then Charlotte his Eliz Bennet? to watch
3. race and exoticism ... racism and inclusivity ... trace that in the series and think about race relations in Austen's England?
4. real estate development vs landed gentry ... a more mercantile society than we often look closely at in an Austen world ... "Lady Denham" lives in the house her untitled first husband built while the Denham estate is leaky and crumbling. Tom Parker is building a new destination community, etc. Changes in society of England?
5. let's have a deep dive into that pineapple ... captured and sent to England it cannot thrive, made an object of display and rarity but rots in this climate, etc.

Did I omit any of the topics? //Sharon

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise (dfarm) | 5 comments HI Everyone,
At the go to meeting, I told people that we can get e-Audio books from Overdrive. After checking into this, there is only one e- audiobook in the Overdrive/Libby system. Of course it is checked out.

Cathie (cathiesully) | 1 comments I believe you can get it with your Boston Public Library card through Hoopla. The ebook is called Sanditon & The Watsons.

Yes, "the Watsons" is an "abandoned" novel by Austen....