Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2020 Plans > Brittany's Go Big or Go Home ATY 2020 Plan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jun 04, 2020 04:29PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) It has been about 4 years since I've done a reading challenge and I'm aiming to complete 2 this year; however, since I've been on a "reading hiatus" for nearly 1-2 years any books that I finish I will count as a win for myself. I plan on keeping this initial post as a record for the challenge overall, then will post individual comments for each prompt and include my review/rating there along with why I selected the book for that specific prompt.

Update: I was originally planning on only reading books I've never read before...but seeing as I haven't listed anything as "read" on GR since August of 2018...I'm totally going to break that plan and re-read some favorites of mine just to get me back in the swing of things.

☑1. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y: Meg
2. A book by an author whose last name is one syllable: Artemis
3. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019: Kitty Confidential
☑4. A book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live: You
5. The first book in a series that you have not started: teach me

6. A book with a mode of transportation on the cover
7. A book set in the southern hemisphere
8. A book with a two-word title where the first word is "The"
9. A book that can be read in a day

10. A book that is between 400-600 pages: The Roald Dahl Omnibus
11. A book originally published in a year that is a prime number
12. A book that is a collaboration between 2 or more people
13. A prompt from a previous Around the Year in 52 Books challenge: The BFG
14. A book by an author on the Abe List of 100 Essential Female Writers

15. A book set in a global city
16. A book set in a rural or sparsely populated area
17. A book with a neurodiverse character
☑18. A book by an author you've only read once before: hidden bodies

19. A fantasy book
20. The 20th book [on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list, etc.]
21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720
22. A book with the major theme of survival: the hunger games

23. A book featuring an LGBTQIA+ character or by an LGBTQIA+ author
24. A book with an emotion in the title
25. A book related to the arts
26. A book from the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards: The Silent Patient
27. A history or historical fiction

28. A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author
29. An underrated book, a hidden gem or a lesser known book
30. A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year
31. A book inspired by a leading news story

32. A book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan
33. A book about a non-traditional family
34. A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name
35. A book with a geometric pattern or element on the cover

36. A book from your TBR/wishlist that you don't recognize, recall putting there, or put there on a whim: Velvet
37. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #1
38. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #2
39. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce

40. A book with a place name in the title
41. A mystery
42. A book that was nominated for one of the ‘10 Most Coveted Literary Prizes in the World’ (link)
43. A book related to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse
44. A book related to witches

☑45. A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018: Randomize
46. A book about an event or era in history taken from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire"
47. A classic book you've always meant to read
48. A book published in 2020: the ballad of songbirds and snakes

49. A book that fits a prompt from the list of suggestions that didn't win (link): where the crawdads sing
50. A book with a silhouette on the cover
51. A book with an "-ing" word in the title
52. A book related to time

Extra Books Just For Fun

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:52AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 1. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y: MEG (MEG, #1) by Steve Alten

Finished: 1/26/2020
Rating: ★★★★☆
Reason for selection: It meets the prompt criteria and has been on my "to be read" list since the movie was released.

Review:
I want to start out by saying I didn't know this series existed until Hollywood decided to make a movie. I've always been a fan of shark movies and books. This book was fantastic. There were definitely parts that I hated (I mean after all I did see the movie first so I fell in love with those versions of the characters); but ultimately it is one of the better shark books I've read. Overall I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series to find out what happens (view spoiler) I rated this 4 stars because although it was a fantastic book, it's not something I can see myself reading every year.

message 3: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:58PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 2. A book by an author whose last name is one syllable: Artemis by Andy Weir

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 4: by Brittany (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:14PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 3. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019: Kitty Confidential (Pet Whisperer P.I. #1) by Molly Fitz

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection: I didn't read anything in 2019, so I'm changing this prompt a little to something that was published in 2019. Close enough lol.

Review:

message 5: by Brittany (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:51AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) ☑4. A book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live: You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes

Finished: 1/12/2020
Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Reason for selection: 1) I wouldn't want to live in NY, I enjoyed a quick trip there but it is way too many people for me. 2) I would never want to be in the cross-hairs of a serial stalker/killer.

Review:
So I added this book to my "to read" shelf back in 2015 and 100% forgot about it until all the hype around the Netflix show. I finally binge watched the show over the first 2-3 days of Jan 2020 and figured I'd read the books to see how they differ from the show itself. That was a HUGE mistake. The entire time I was reading this book I just wanted to put it down and say f*ck it; honestly, had it not been a digital copy on my iPad it probably would have been thrown across the room a few times. I wouldn't go as far to say I hated it, but it definitely won't be a re-read of mine any time soon (if I ever even pick it up again). Maybe I'm just biased because I watched the show first, or maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of male leads in certain books...but I just felt like the characters were lacking. I think my biggest pet peeve of the book though was at the end (view spoiler) It's just frustrating and I'm happy I'm finally done with this book so I can move onto something I'll (hopefully) enjoy.

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Jan 21, 2020 07:14PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 5. The first book in a series that you have not started: Teach Me (Brie's Submission, #1) by Red Phoenix

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 7: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:02PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 6. A book with a mode of transportation on the cover

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 8: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:02PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 7. A book set in the southern hemisphere

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 9: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:03PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 8. A book with a two-word title where the first word is "The"

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 10: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:03PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 9. A book that can be read in a day

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 11: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:26PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 10. A book that is between 400-600 pages: The Roald Dahl Omnibus Perfect Bedtime Stories for Sleepless Nights by Roald Dahl

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 12: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 11. A book originally published in a year that is a prime number

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 13: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 12. A book that is a collaboration between 2 or more people

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 14: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:22PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 13. A prompt from a previous Around the Year in 52 Books challenge: Using prompt # 23 from the 2017 ATY challenge "23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list": The BFG by Roald Dahl

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 15: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 14. A book by an author on the Abe List of 100 Essential Female Writers

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 16: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 15. A book set in a global city

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 17: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 16. A book set in a rural or sparsely populated area

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 18: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 17. A book with a neurodiverse character

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 19: by Brittany (last edited Feb 11, 2020 07:00PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 18. A book by an author you've only read once before: Hidden Bodies (You, #2) by Caroline Kepnes

Finished: 2/11/2020
Rating: ★★★★☆
Reason for selection: I chose Hidden Bodies for this prompt because after binge watching the show You on Netflix right after the first of the year, I had to read the book. Although I didn't love the book (ok, I hated it really) I decided to give Caroline Kepnes another chance since I had only read that one book by her.

Review: Backstory for my review: I binge watched the show in 2 days in January 2020. I then bought the book on my ipad and realized it had been on my "to read" list since 2015....I hated the first book after loving the show so much that I gave it 2stars. I then didn't want to spend $15 on the sequel to just be that disappointed again, so I requested a digital copy from my local libray and waited nearly 30 days before I could read it....well, today I finished it.

I went into this book thinking how disappointed I was with the first one and didn't have really any hope for liking this book either. In fact, most people I talked to about the series LOVES the first book and thought this one was a disappointment. I FEEL THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE. 100%. NO JOKE. COULDN'T PUT THIS DOWN! I'm not sure if it was the fact that I had so much time to reflect on the first book (and both seasons of the show) but OH. MY. GOD. I will admit that around the 20% mark I hated this book too. In fact I'm pretty sure I posted a status update on here saying something like "when will it end"...boy was I wrong; and I'm so glad I decided to stick it out. I'm not sure what changed between You and Hidden Bodies, but once Joe met Love EVERYTHING CHANGED. (view spoiler) I did not want this book to end, but it did...I know I read there are supposed to be 2 more books coming out, but I'm not sure how that'll be possible with the way the show is going, but we will see. Now after reading this I wish I had just paid for this book because more than likely I'm going to buy it now lol.

message 20: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 19. A fantasy book

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 21: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 20. The 20th book [on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list, etc.]

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 22: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 23: by Brittany (last edited Jun 04, 2020 04:29PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 22. A book with the major theme of survival: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 24: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 23. A book featuring an LGBTQIA+ character or by an LGBTQIA+ author

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 25: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 24. A book with an emotion in the title

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 26: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 25. A book related to the arts

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 27: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:54PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 26. A book from the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 28: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 27. A history or historical fiction

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 29: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 28. A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 30: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 29. An underrated book, a hidden gem or a lesser known book

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 31: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 30. A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 32: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 31. A book inspired by a leading news story

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 33: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 32. A book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 34: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 33. A book about a non-traditional family

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 35: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 34. A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 36: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:12PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 35. A book with a geometric pattern or element on the cover

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 37: by Brittany (last edited Jan 21, 2020 07:30PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 36. A book from your TBR/wishlist that you don't recognize, recall putting there, or put there on a whim: Velvet (Velvet, #1) by Temple West

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection: I sorted my "want to read" list by what has been on there the longest and just went through when I found this title I literally said "wtf is that". I added this to my shelf on 5/7/2015.

Review:

message 38: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:12PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 37. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #1

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 39: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:12PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 38. Two books that are related to each other as a pair of binary opposites: Book #2

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 40: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:12PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 39. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 41: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:12PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 40. A book with a place name in the title

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 42: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:14PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 41. A mystery

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 43: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 42. A book that was nominated for one of the ‘10 Most Coveted Literary Prizes in the World’ (link)

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 44: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 43. A book related to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 45: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 44. A book related to witches

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 46: by Brittany (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 45. A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018: Randomize by Andy Weir

Finished: 1/27/2020
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Reason for selection: I love Andy Weir and was super excited to hear about this short story and his novel Artemis was one of my best reads in 2018.

Review: I love all of Andy Weir's books, that's why I was so excited to see Randomize released as part of The Forward Collection. As of this review, I haven't read any of the other short stories, but this one was interesting. Definitely some quantum physics jargon that I didn't fully understand, but I enjoyed the explanation using stoplights lol. Overall it was a quick and entertaining read. Just goes to show how quickly people will do immoral things for reputation.

message 47: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 46. A book about an event or era in history taken from the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 48: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 07:15PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 47. A classic book you've always meant to read

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 49: by Brittany (last edited Jun 04, 2020 04:28PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 48. A book published in 2020: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

message 50: by Brittany (last edited Jan 20, 2020 09:20PM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) 49. A book that fits a prompt from the list of suggestions that didn't win (link): Using prompt from poll #5 "- A book published in the last three years (2018, 2019, 2020) that had a lot of buzz": Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Finished:
Rating:
Reason for selection:

Review:

« previous 1