Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments An entertaining read continuing the stories of the characters introduced in the first 2 books. Obviously those who have continued to book 3 are somewhat invested in the characters and what happens to them.
A journalist who can't keep his pants on and a groups of supposedly intelligent women who can't seem to resist him. A least he is honest that he can't behave I suppose and at least he won't allow beach of civil liberties by those in power.
Salander continues to not trust many people because she has been taught that anyone she tries to trust will hurt her. She does unexpectedly reach out and help Berger so there is proof of her decency in this installment.
Salander continues to demand respect from the reader despite her poor coping mechanisms. Who wouldn't behave a bit strangely if they had been subjected to all she has? Her doctor is the nicest person in this book and goes out on a limb to help her.
Of course in the end Salander is OK and the series can continue.
On the down-side there is a lot of descriptive information and random history which is just not needed for the story and makes the book longer than it needed to be.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1090 comments I liked the 2nd book in this series the best, and like you I read the 3rd book out of some sense of loyalty to the characters.

Overall I like the books, but the long descriptions and random history, the exact specification of all the town and road names, it was a lot to wade through to get to the story.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments Sue wrote: "I liked the 2nd book in this series the best, and like you I read the 3rd book out of some sense of loyalty to the characters.

Overall I like the books, but the long descriptions and random histor..."

Exactly. Especially at over 700 pages it just didn't need padding out!