Play Book Tag discussion

The Roanoke Girls
This topic is about The Roanoke Girls
January 2020: Thriller > The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 379 comments After her mother's suicide, Lane, almost sixteen, is sent to live at Roanoke with her Grandfather, Grandmother and cousin, Allegra. During the long, hot summer Lane learns why her mother ran away from home and why all the Roanoke girls either run away or die. Lane escapes once leaving Allegra behind but, years later, when Allegra disappears Lane is compelled to return and to find out what happened to her cousin.

This is an easy read. The mystery of Roanoke is pretty obvious right from the start and the author makes it quite clear by showing something of the pasts of all the Roanoke girls as the story goes backwards and forwards in time. This isn't actually as disjointed as it sounds and didn't detract from the flow.

There is a slight twist in what actually happened to Allegra but I've read many thrillers before so it wasn't completely unexpected. I believe this author usually writes YA and there is a similar feel about this book, even though it's billed as adult, so I've only given it three stars.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I remember really liking the creepy darkness of this one.