Play Book Tag discussion

Idiot
This topic is about Idiot
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Idiot by Laura Clery - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments I don't know Laura Clery all that well. Facebook suggested one of her videos to me one time called English Vs. American Parents. I watched it because at the time I was dating an American and we used to laugh at each other regularly because of our different words for things. I then forgot that Laura Clery existed. I didn't follow her on Facebook or YouTube so my life went on.

Then Facebook recommended another of her videos to me in which she interviews herself to advertise her new memoir called "Idiot" (if you are offended by swearing or people who talk extremely candidly, don't watch the video and don't read her book). I thought "wow, someone who named their book about themselves 'Idiot' I have to read that" and so I downloaded her audiobook a week ago and started listening.

In her book, Laura tells her story of struggling with addiction and alcoholism and her journey out of that. The book is extremely humourous and I laughed out loud several times while listening. But there are also some really raw things about hitting rock bottom and feeling hopeless. She is honest about both her and her husbands relapses and how they had to remove themselves from the other's lives in order not to relapse themselves during each time. She is also not scared to call out her own stupid actions and while she is clear that she struggled with her disease and that is a lot of the reason why she did so many stupid things, she never tries to pass the blame or excuse her actions.

This book was honestly fantastic. If you are offended easily I wouldn't recommend the book but otherwise I would recommend it to pretty much anyone of an adult age.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7710 comments I love memoirs and this one sounds really good! It also has an excellent rating here on GR. This is officially on the radar and now I am hoping for "memoir" to be a tag here on PBT soon!