Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2020 Weekly Checkins > Week 3: 1/9 - 1/16

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jan 16, 2020 03:21AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5883 comments Mod
Happy Thursday!

Yes I'm still trying to date things "1/xx/19" how about you? My daughter says she never has this problem.

We've had weird weather in NY, alternating cold and mild - a friend said it's like Mother Nature is using a random number generator to pick the day's temperature. That’s accurate haha! This weekend the snow all melted and the spring peepers woke up and started peeping; I hope they are okay and can hibernate again, because it’s cold again now, and should snow later. The weekend's heat wave is not normal for January!

Admin stuff:
NOTHING! We are all just chugging along happily for now!

This week I read 3 books (and DNFed 1), 2 were for the challenge, and I am currently 6/50.

Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel - I listen to the audiobook for this series, which I think is the best way to experience them. This was just as much fun as book 1 (Sleeping Giants). I did not check off a challenge category with this book.

Dance Dance Revolution poems by Cathy Park Hong - unfortunately, I did not enjoy this book of poems, at all. These poems are all written in a made-up pidgin, and they tell the story of an imaginary place somewhere in the desert. It's a work of genius, but it was not enjoyable to read. I'm glad I'm done. I checked off "made-up language."

The Wicked Redhead by Beatriz Williams- I LOVED this!! One caveat: you must read The Wicked City before this; unlike most of Williams’ books, this is not a stand-alone. I had planned to check-off “set in the 1920s” but then I saw it was published in December, so voila! “Published in my birth month,” it is! It’ll likely be easier for me to find another book set in the 1920s than to find another December book.

The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams - my DNF. This book just wasn’t for me, with clunky writing and characters I didn’t like. I think you need the right mindset. I had planned for this to be my “bookclub” book, so now I need to find another.

Question of the Week
Now that we've had a chance to get excited about our new year of reading, let's take a step back and look at last year. This week's question is from Theresa:

How does your reading for the year breakdown in book format? How many audiobooks, print books, ebooks, graphic novels, children’s picture books, middle grade, and/or YA books? How many books did you read from your TBR - whether a list on GR or just piles at home or holds at library.

(she sent me these questions separately, but I thought they worked well together)

I'm one of those book geeks who maintains a spreadsheet tracking various stats, so I can easily pull up what last year's reading was. Last year's spreadsheet tracked 213 books completed. Of those, there were:
5 DNFed (2%)
58 audiobooks (27%)
15 graphic novels (7%)
3 middle grade (1%)
19 YA (9%)
eboooks - I don't know - I do read a lot, but I don't keep track of which were hardcopy and which were ebooks.

In addition to that, I also read:
36 picture books (not included in the 213 total)

But I have no idea how many of those were on my TBR to start with, that's a stat I don't track. I don't buy many books so my TBR is entirely virtual, I add and delete books all year and a long time ago I gave up on caring about how many books are on my TBR (it's ... a lot. Right now I've got 1759 books on my TBR. This number never goes down, because I add books all year long, so I will never have 0 TBR.)

message 2: by Stacey (last edited Jan 16, 2020 04:52AM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Happy Thursday Everyone!

I've decided that this year I am approaching my reading challenges a little differently. In the past, I've always planned all my challenge books in advance & completely avoided double dipping within or across different challenges but this year I've only planned out my PS reads, am winging the other challenges as I go & am double dipping across my challenges (but never within the same challenge). So far I think it's going well!

The weather has been snowy and cold which has helped me want to curl up with books all week long and I've made huge progress on my challenges! It's feeling great to get an early jump since I know I have some doorstoppers in my plans this year!

Current Progress

PS: 8/50 | HP: 12/56 | ATY: 12/52 | GR: 12/100

Finished This Week

Confessions by Kanae Minato ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I really liked this and appreciated that the surprises just kept coming. I was guessing until the very last page!
Used for: PS: 44. A Book set in Japan, host of the 2020 Olympics
HP: 44. Read a book set in a school
ATY: 32. A Book related to the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Japan

Darkest Hour (Heartland #13) by Lauren Brooke ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (3.5 Stars) - This one was really quite emotional, everything seems to go wrong and I had to pick up the next one in the series right away because not everything got wrapped up in a tidy bow like the other books!
Used for: PS: 49. A Book from a Series with more than 20 Books
HP: 46. Read a middle grade novel
ATY: 9. A Book that can be read in a day

Everything Changes (Heartland #14) by Lauren Brooke ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I'm glad that this one wrapped up the storyline from the previous book that I was a little concerned about! It's cool that this one has some unique content that didn't make it into the TV series.
Used for: PS: 46. A Book by an Author who has written more than 20 Books
HP: 6. Read a book involving horses
ATY: 6. A Book with a mode of transportation on the cover (a horse)

Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist by Eli Saslow ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - As a Canadian who doesn't really follow American politics and hasn't looked into the White Nationalist/White Supremacy ideology, this read was pretty eye opening and shocking. It's crazy to think that even today such a large amount of people share such a hateful mindset. I wish that as a reader, I could have gained more insight into the little moments that really played into why Derek Black had a change of heart, I felt that this book really only encompassed the broad strokes in that regard. On the plus side, I now have a much greater understanding of why some people were so upset when Trump became president.
Used for: PS: 38. A Book by or about a Journalist
HP: 34. Read a book featuring diversity/inclusivity
ATY: 12. A Book that is a collaboration between 2 or more people

Twenty-One Truths About Love by Matthew Dicks ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I didn't realize that this book had an unconventional format when I picked it up but I enjoyed the humourous, honest revelations of the main character.
Used for: PS: 42. A Book with "20" or "Twenty" in the title
HP: 23. Read a book that mentions the Harry Potter universe
ATY: 34. A Book from a genre or subgenre that starts with a letter in your name: Epistolary Novel

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I normally hate it when the narrator is unclear and when the narrative shifts perspectives unannounced but I have to admit that it really worked in this book and added to the suspense and the story. I was mostly able to predict the major events in the ending of this book but regardless, I did enjoy how it all unraveled and there were still a few minor surprises! I have to say though, several things really irked me!! I disliked that this had a somewhat open ending, that... (view spoiler)
Used for: My book club's read this month
HP: 15. Read a book that involves a secret
ATY: 4. A Book set in a place or time that you wouldn't want to live

Canadianity: Tales from the True North Strong and Freezing by Jeremy Taggart & Jonathan Torrens ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - If you were born in the late 60's to early 80's in Canada and enjoy silly humour then this will probably be much more enjoyable for you than it was for me! Soooo much of the book is Canadian pop culture references from before my time so a lot of it wasn't super exciting for me but even as a younger Canadian, there were relatable, funny, enjoyable moments. Also, I would recommend that if you listen to the audio format & want to play along with the many many trivia tidbits to listen with a pen & paper at hand!
Used for: PS: 19. A Book set in a Country beginning with "C"
HP: 41. Read a book tied to your roots (heritage)
ATY: 16. A Book set in a rural or sparsely populated area

News of the World by Paulette Jiles ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - This started out promising but I was annoyed at often losing Johanna's perspective throughout the story and there were times where I felt the narrative was a tad repetitive as well.
Used for: PS: 37. A Western
HP: 17. Read a book that is set outdoors
ATY: (view spoiler)

Currently Reading

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

QotW

In 2019 I read 50 books (17,431 pages), all of them were books I already owned or books that were passed on to me from friends/family. Here are some of my stats:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/50 - 8%
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 18/50 - 36%
⭐️⭐️⭐️ 17/50 - 34%
⭐️⭐️ 9/50 - 18%
⭐️ 2/50 - 4%
DNF - 1 (not counted in the 50)

48 Novels
1 Novel in Verse
1 Short Story

24 - Adult
24 - YA
2 - Middle Grade

My Most read genre was Fantasy at 16/50 - 32%
followed by Chick Lit at 7/50 - 14%
The rest is pretty much a giant mish mash of genres!

E-Books: 35 - 70%
Print Books: 15 - 30%
Audiobooks: 0 - 0%

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Hann | 211 comments I am 7/50 for the challenge, but 11 for the year so far.

This week I finished:
Calendar Girl: Volume One: This wasn't for this year's challenge, but I'm enjoying the series and had plans for October and November.

October: I used this as a book with one of the 7 deadly sins. I could make a case for several of the sins from this book, so I checked it.

November: A book published in my birth month

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections: I love funny women, and I didn't really know who she was before reading this, so it was fun to see her personality come through so much in her writing. I used it for the journalism prompt.

Criss Cross: A book from a series with more than 20 books. The Alex Cross series is like visiting an old friend. You've heard their stories before, but you still want to check in to see how they are doing.

Currently reading:

I am so overwhelmed at work right now that I decided to take a short break and watch some mindless Netflix for a bit. I'll get back to it in a day or so. My hold on Lock Every Door finally came in and I'm looking forward to it.

QOTW:

Oh man. Those are great questions. Without going back to count, I would say that most of my books were definitely ebooks, but I discovered audiobooks for the first time in 2019, so I did start listening to a lot as well. I work across the street from the library, so I go there a lot too. I also read graphic novels for the first time and I think I read 33 of those last year, but didn't use them for the 2019 challenge. I don't read a ton of YA, but I do read some. I don't enjoy fantasy that much, and I feel like a lot of YA is fantasy. I read a ton more nonfiction last year than I ever would have expected. My big regret is that I don't try harder to use my TBR books for the challenge, so my list gets out of control, because I pick new books most of the time for the challenge.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 706 comments I finished Anne of Green Gables as a fave prior year prompt: a childhood classic I've never read. I really liked it. I was bawling the last couple of chapters. Makes it hard to read. You have to keep cleaning off your glasses.

Then I read 2001: A Space Odyssey as my book with a robot or AI character. I really thought Hal played a more major role, but the prompt is just a character, not a main character, so it counts. I can't decide if I liked it or not.

And I have started The End of Your Life Book Club as a book about a book club. I don't know that this was a good choice for someone with aging sickly parents. It's making me very sad.

Question of the Week

How does your reading for the year breakdown in book format? How many audiobooks, print books, ebooks, graphic novels, children’s picture books, middle grade, and/or YA books? How many books did you read from your TBR - whether a list on GR or just piles at home or holds at library.

I only read print books, so 100% for those.

I think read two children's book last year, maye a YA novel, mostly just adult stuff.

I read probably 2/3 from the library 1/3 from home, give or take.

message 5: by Evelina (last edited Jan 16, 2020 04:50AM) (new)

Evelina | 21 comments The weather here is much better now. Today even the sun is shining and it's so beautiful outside when the sun hits the snow in the trees. These times I feel very happy with living up in the north.

Reading wise this hasn't been a great week. All the books I'm reading are good but I have trouble finding the time to read. This week I have been busy with a home examination and I also have to pack a lot of stuff for when I'm temporarily moving 180 km away to to my trainee/internship which is a part of my education.

Goodreads reading challenge 3/55
Popsugar reading challenge 3/50

Finished
Soon I'm going to finish Czentes Omega by Anna Jakobsson Lund. It is a really good bok, exiciting and many twist and turns along the way. It all takes place in space with different kind of aliens and even LBTQ-representation. Rating: 4/5
Prompt: A book that passes the Bechdel test

Currently reading
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. I like it so far, and I really enjoy the humor and how the narrator breaks the fourth wall.

Bokhandeln på Riverside Drive by Frida Skybäck. I'm really like this book to, it has so many literary references and takes place in a bookshop. I really hope I'll be able to finish it during the weekend.

Lastly, a book I'm going to start to read tomorrow so I put it in this section too, The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It's a buddy read so I'm going to be reading it with a friends. I'm so excited to read this book, I love the other books in the Mistborn series so I have high hopes for this one. I read the first two books in Swedish, but since the other books haven´t been translated I'm going to have to read it in english instead.

Question of the week
I do have a spreadsheet over what I'm reading. Last year I read 77 books which is pretty good. Almost every one of them is a physcial book, I don't get along with audio books unfortunately.

Most of the books are adult and YA, and I also keep track on genres. This year it was a lot of fantasy and crime novels.

I also keep track on how I rate the books. I'm really picky with my 5 stars and I only gave it to two books last year. But I didn't have many books I were disappointed in either.

message 6: by Tania (last edited Jan 16, 2020 05:20AM) (new)

Tania | 493 comments Hello! I haven't had too much trouble remembering the year change, but last week my husband told me he read a report that we should not use /20, but rather /2020, because it would be too easy for someone to adjust your /20 to something else in the future or the past, like /2025, /2019, etc. I have no idea what the actual risk is, if someone were to do this, but I've been trying to date everything /2020 instead of /20 anyways, just in case there's an actual risk of something bad. So that's been my struggle, lol.

Actually now that I typed all that out, there was probably the same risk with /19, but I don't remember anyone ever bringing that up. Huh.

On to reading - I'm now 5/50 for the challenge.
Finished this week:

Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race by Lara Prior-Palmer - a book written by an author in their 20's. This book is the author's memoir about her participation in the Mongolian Derby, a 1000km endurance race ridden over about 10 days. She completed the race when she was 18, and published her memoir about it at the age of 23.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede - I used this as a book with more than 20 letters in the title, and that's not even including the subtitle. This was a heartwarming and heartbreaking book about one town's participation in the grounding of all planes flying to the U.S. after 9/11. I was in tears most of the time, even after all of these years those memories still feel fresh. I've also added Newfoundland to my travel wishlist, as the people and the places sound amazing.

Last Summer by Kerry Lonsdale - a psychological thriller, this book as the same title as a 1969 movie, but is completely unrelated (so I used it for that prompt). Once I picked it up, it was hard to put it back down. The events and people in this book will really mess with your mind.

When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal - not for a challenge (though I'm tempted to use it for the BR prompt about a book about a natural disaster, since the characters experienced several earthquakes and a hurricane during the story), but another book I was loathe to put down once I started reading. This one would also work for your favorite prompt from a past Popsugar challenge (it's told from two different points of view).

QOTW: Although I do track my reading on a spreadsheet, this week's questions include some data that I don't capture by the number so I had to eyeball my list. I didn't read any audiobooks last year. I finished 150 books, and surprisingly my percentage of ebooks (which I just started tracking last year) was more than 60% of my reading. I read 48 physical books and the rest were either on the Kindle app or on Libby from my library.

I read 8 graphic novels (5%), 3 children's picture books (2%), and roughly 41 middle grade and/or YA books (27%). I only DNF'd 1 book, and only because it was the end of the year and I just couldn't get through it and had no time to put it down and come back to it (I had chosen it for the last prompt I had to fill so I had to scramble to find a different book).

I couldn't say how many that I read in 2019 were from my TBR, but my current TBR is at 306 physical books that I own, 333 ebooks that I own, and 897 books that I want to read but don't own in any format. And yet of the 10 books I've read so far in 2020, only half of those were from my TBR, lol.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Hello all!

We are having the same yo-yo weather here. Cold one day, mild the next, snow appears and is gone in a matter of hours. I have no idea what's happening, but February is usually our big month for snow so I'm not counting my spring chickens yet.

I finished two books this week:

The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001 by Garrett M. Graff. I gave this book an enthusiastic 5 stars. It's an incredible work that incorporates the stories of survivors, family members of victims, first responders, politicians, journalists, military threaded together by a narrative of the events of that day as they unfolded. I can fully understand why some people may not have the emotional fortitude to read this, but it is such an important work that I highly, highly recommend (the audiobook is FANTASTIC). I'm using this for my book with only words on the cover.

She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey. I'm not sure how I ended up reading two nonfiction books with such heavy topics at the same time, but this is another powerful and timely read. Of course, I was loosely following the Harvey Weinstein story when it hit and the Me Too movement as well. I remember seeing so many stories posted on social media from my women friends (some from high school and I felt absolutely terrible that I didn't know those things were happening at the time). This book is written by the two NYT reporters who meticulously researched and reported on Weinstein in the initial NYT article. They also cover Christine Blasey Ford's story. While I had heard about many of the women in this book through various news sources at the time, seeing it all put together into one story really paints a vivid picture of the situation. Great read. This is my book by a journalist.

Currently reading;

Peace Like a River

The Grand Sophy

QOTW

I also keep a spreadsheet with lots of stats for my reading.

Last year I read:
40 print books - 33%
33 Kindle books - 26%
51 Audiobooks - 41%

94 Adult books - 76%
12 YA - 10%
17 Middle Grade - 14%

I don't exactly track whether a book is on my TBR prior to reading, but I do track how I acquired the book:

Purchased (at some point, could be on my shelf for years) - 64
Library - 45
ARCs - 3
Gifts - 4
Borrowed - 5
Kindle Unlimited - 3

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 122 comments Exciting news this week that my library is re-starting their podcast. They're going to be doing a podcast book club and I can't wait. They've already announced the first 5 books and I'm diving right in.

I read two books this week, which is great for me! Although, I've started too many books at the same time and I need to read a ton over the weekend to try to make this reasonable again. I finished I Wish You All the Best, which was a book by a nonbinary author. It was a nice book, and I wish they had books like these when I was 12 and trying to figure out what gender I was. Gender is so much easier these days. I also finished Empty Hearts, which I picked for ATY week 2, but also used for the PS Bechdel Test prompt. This book was fine. I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't blow me away.

I'm currently reading way too many things at once and I'm not going to bother listing them. But hopefully I'll finish at least 2 of them over the weekend.

QOTW: I don't really track, so I'm guessing. But, I think I listen to 2-3 audiobooks a year. I read probably 70-30 physical books to e-books. I stick mostly to adult books, but probably throw in 5 or so YA books each year. Maybe up to 10. I don't have a very big TBR, I mostly choose as I go.

message 9: by Ellie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 05:38AM) (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1154 comments The weather has been wet and windy here, it's horrid.

Finished this week:
The Vanished Bride for passes the Bechdel test. Fun mystery featuring the Bronte sisters. Even with three women main characters and female victim, it was surprising how many of the conversations still manage to be about or involving men, but it passed on several occasions.

The Places I've Cried in Public for ATY (author with single syllable surname). Really quite a difficult read in places, it's about an abusive relationship and how she slowly comes to realise that's what it was.

Before Mars for ATY (read because of something I read last year). Another fantastic book in this sci-fi series, touching on post-natal depression.

One of Us Is Next for a book with 4+ star rating. Not a four star read for me, it was soooo slow for the first half. I enjoyed it when things started to happen though.

Currently reading The Last Day for review and listening to The Calculating Stars both for ATY.

PS: 3/50 | ATY: 3/52 | BR: 1/24 | GR: 6/100

QOTW:
I kinda fell off the spreadsheet-keeping bandwagon towards the end of last year so I don't have as many stats as normal. I'm using Crini's spreadsheet this year.

Audiobook 48%
Paperback 27%
Ebook 16%
Hardback 9%
YA 25%
Non-Fiction 13%

Out of 128 books only 6 were graphic novels or comics. I'd like to read more this year.

message 10: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 252 comments I don’t think anything I read this week ticks off any of the prompts

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher. Contemporary thriller. Quite twisty. But unlike a lot of twisty books of late, the twists didn’t annoy me.

One of Us is Next by Karen McManus. YA thriller. Sequel to One of Us is Lying. I enjoyed it but was kind of let down by the end. Would still recommend.

The Sundown Motel by Simone St. James. Part ghost story, part crime story. Enjoyed it. Would love a Netflix series by the same people who did Hill House.

The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys. YA historical about life in Spain post WWII. As always, I loved it.

Counting Descent by Clint Smith. I’m about to teach this book of poetry in a couple of weeks. Fantastic collection.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. This book was a lot. I’ve initially given it 4 stars but I’m still thinking about it.

QOTW:
I read probably 50/50 YA vs. other. I have a big TBR pile at home that they came from. I do Book of the Month as well. I do buy a lot of books because the YA books usually end up in my classroom and the others are mostly given to my niece to read. No audio books last year because I just have a hard time with audio books.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 714 comments Finished
Dead End by Chris Wraight (the first book you touch on a shelf with your eyes closed). I liked this book. Sometimes these Stargate novels get so involved in exploring characters that they turn into a slog. This one was plot-based, and that made it fast and fun to read, but none of the characters really sounded like themselves.

Third Girl by Agatha Christie (a book with an upside down image on the cover). This is a pretty good Christie book. I liked the mystery within a mystery aspect, but I generally don’t like the “darn kids these days” tone of the later Poirot books.

The Last Post by Renee Carlino (a book about or involving social media). I liked the book, but I didn't deliver what I look for in a romance novel.

Reading
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton (a medical thriller)

Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery (a book set in a country beginning with C)

The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth (a book with a great first line)

DNF
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I found it incredibly difficult to stay focused on this story. I DNFed at 50% because I didn’t know any of the characters or understand what was happening. Life’s too short to read Dickens anymore.

QOTW
I don't really keep track of any of those things. The only things I keep track of are genres and whether I own a book. What I do know is that I did not read enough from my TBR shelf! That's one of my goals for this year, and the reason I planned my challenge in advance.

message 12: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 627 comments Happy Thursday, y’all.

The weather here in Idaho finally seemed to get the hint that it's winter, and dumped snow and cold on us. Now listening to the wind howl outside as I get ready for work. Brrr...

Books read this week:

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup -- for “book on a subject you know nothing about,” though it could also count for “book by a journalist” or “book with only words on the cover.” I had no clue about the Theranos scandal until I heard about this book, and it turned out to be a fascinating read about hubris, lies, and corporate greed.

Six-Gun Snow White -- for “a Western.” A retelling of the Snow White fairy tale set in a magical-realism Wild West, this is a heartbreaking and sometimes brutal, but fascinating, retelling of a classic.

Tamsin -- for “book by an author with fauna or flora in their name” (Peter S. Beagle). A slow-paced but thoughtful and emotional story about a teenager dealing with changes in her family and the ghost she befriends. It really captures the turbulence and drama of being thirteen without being overly whiny or obnoxious, too.

A Taste of Honey -- not for the challenge. The glimpses I got of the worldbuilding were incredible… but the main character was a brat that was hard to like, and not being a big fan of insta-love the romance turned me off. And (view spoiler)

Regular challenge -- 6/44 (split the last prompt into five)
Advanced challenge -- 0/10
Not for challenge -- 3

Currently Reading:

The Stand -- for “book with a 4 or greater reading on Goodreads” (I swear I'll finish this someday...)
Severance -- for “book with only words on the cover, no pictures or graphics”
S is for Space -- not for the challenge

QOTW:

I keep a list of what titles I've read throughout the year, but I really don't have the energy to go back and calculate all this. XD I estimate I read about half adult novels, and the rest split fairly evenly between non-fiction, YA, and graphic novels. About half my reading anymore is on Kindle or Overdrive, and I really don't do audiobooks. I do read quite a few kids' books too, simply because they're often so entertaining and cute!

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 738 comments Hi everyone!

Weather's been all over the place here, but mostly grey and rainy. Been really depressing! I had so much time to get stuff done last weekend but zero energy to do any of it so mostly laid around. I'm solar powered, i need to see the sun even if it's cold.

This week I finished:

The Starless Sea - Book with a character in their 20s. I liked this overall, but I think I would have liked it more if I'd read it before Night Circus. No matter how hard I tried to go into it fresh, my mind kept making comparisons. I love Night Circus so much, and this book didn't give me the same feels so it was a little disappointing. However I did enjoy it overall, and eventually got sucked down into the story.

Down Among the Sticks and Bones - counted this as Read Harder sci fi/fantasy novella. Technically it's over the page counts they consider a novella, but it won two awards for best novella so I think i'm going with publishing standards not theirs.

Beneath the Sugar Sky - had to continue on the series, not for a challenge. Bummed I don't have the next two waiting, haha. I've got price watches on them, soon as they hit $5 they're mine. (I have trouble paying full novel prices for novellas, I'll finish them in a day)

Every Heart a Doorway - i think i was still finishing this last check in, but i'd finished it off to refresh my memory before hitting the other two.

Currently reading: The Outlaw Demon Wails for the hallows read along, no challenge.

QOTW:

I have a spreadsheet that tracks a bunch of stuff for my reading challenges, but nothing that tracks EVERYTHING i read aside from goodreads. It's too much work to dig through all that and try to come up with numbers now, so I'll just say that for popsugar last year I read:

34/50 female, 1/50 nonbianary, 15/50 male
14/50 PoC which I thought I did better about. But I think I read a lot more PoC for other challenges/in general, just not necessarily for this one. And not all the white authors were American, at least.

I don't keep track of a TBR, what I want to read shifts greatly with my mood. So something might be "I want to read that" one day and a few months later be "eh, maybe not". But I did read more from my "randomly bought and forgot about" digital stack.

Too lazy to crunch a bunch more numbers. Honestly that's why i don't keep a spreadsheet of everything, I just can't be bothered to enter that much info for EVERYTHING I read. I just mark it as read with a rating on goodreads and move on.

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica | 9 comments Hello! I'm not far from you down in Jersey and this weather lately is definitely something else. I'm not complaining about the nice days, but hoping that the snow doesn't mess up my travel plans for the weekend!

This week, I finished one more book to move to 2/40 for the challenge.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (29. A book with a bird on the cover). This one has been on my TBR list since I read The Secret Life of Bees in high school and I'm so glad this challenge finally pushed me to do so. I really loved the dual perspectives of Handful and Sarah growing up and growing old. (4/5 stars)

I'm also still working on Know My Name (32. WOC) and Five ​Dark Fates (35. Three Word Title), but hoping to be able to finish at least one of them this weekend. I'm going to start The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris (14. author name containing flora or fauna) as my new audiobook as well!

QOTW: Since going away to college, I've struggled to keep up with my TBR and reading in general. However, my senior year, I discovered the ability to rent audiobooks online from my library back home so that I can listen during my commutes and while I work. This is how I get most of my reading done now. I tend to read a combination of adult and YA books, in a combination of formats, mostly audiobooks, but also ebooks from the library and occasionally print library books.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments 2020 kinda sucks so far. 2 family deaths in 2 weeks plus a day and a half sitting in hospital with a friend acting as next of kin because she reacts badly to anaesthetic and had to have someone to keep things calm. Cyclone stayed away at least so that's something.

Didn't read as much.
Finished working my way through 4 recipe books I've been testing since August and Mezze to Milk Tart: From the Middle East to Africa in My Vegetarian Kitchen was easily the best. I gave it 5 stars because every single thing I made from it was yummy even when made by a novice like me. Not for a challenge.
Also finished Jaws which I used for the sins prompt (gluttony for the shark and wrath for the people).
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest was one of the 2 I didn't finish for the 2019 challenge and I'll work on the other one this week.

Currently readingMama's Last Hug: Animal Emotions and What They Tell Us about Ourselves for TRIM
and Ready Player One as my last 2019 one.

PS 5/50 ATY 5/52 GR 14/75

QOTW
I don't keep track of any of that stuff but I did read my first ever ebook in 2019 and finished another book in that format when I had to return the paperback I'd started. I also read more graphic novels than usual because I read 31 of The Walking Dead ones. The only other difference was that at the start of the year I read a fair few library books whereas I don't usually read from the library. This year I will not be using the library because they fired all the staff at the end of last year and gave the jobs to people from out of town.

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone! It has been spring-like weather in north Texas since Thanksgiving, and we broke a record yesterday by hitting 81 degrees. Today is lots of rain, though, and 30 degrees cooler.

5/50 for Popsugar
3/52 for Around the Year
1/25 for Reading Women

Books I finished:
Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl (Reading Women: A book about food) I was never a Gourmet magazine subscriber, but it was interesting to learn how it was put together and all the work that went into the recipes they published.

The Neuroscientist Who Lost Her Mind: My Tale of Madness and Recovery by Barbara K. Lipska (Popsugar #16: A book by or about a woman in STEM) This could have been better. I felt it was a bit jumbled and jerky.

It's Not You It's Him by Sophie Ranald (Popsugar #50: A main character in their 20’s) The main character in this book is a side character in a book I read a few months ago. I liked the other one better but this was still a glimpse into the life of a 20-something in London. Ranald’s writing reminds me a bit of Sophie Kinsella.

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson (Popsugar #15: A book published in my birthday month) I loved this! Magical realism isn’t usually my thing, but the concept of children spontaneously combusting when they get emotional was fun.

Let It Snow by Sue Moorcroft (AtY: A book about a non-traditional family) Ugh. Amateur writing, no real depth to any character. I should have DNF but forced myself to finish because I needed it for a very specific prompt for another challenge.

I am currently reading:
Long Bright River by Liz Moore (AtY: A book inspired by a leading news story)
Betrayal in Death by J.D. Robb (Popsugar #49: A book from a series with 20+ books)
Stories I'd Tell in Bars by Jen Lancaster (AtY: A book first published in a year that is a prime number)

QOTW: I do keep a spreadsheet for my reading, but I don’t keep track of everything. My 2019 reading was about half audiobooks, 20% print books and 30% digital. Roughly 15% was borrowed through the library, and unfortunately my overall fiction to nonfiction ratio was 9:1. I’m trying to get that closer to 4:1 this year.

My TBR on Goodreads isn’t even close to accurate, as I mainly just add books to it that are recommended in my various groups so I don’t forget about them. Just a small percentage of the books I own are actually on it. What I can say, though, is that about 20% of the books I read were published in 2019, but that doesn’t necessarily paint an accurate picture of how many new-to-me books I read.

message 17: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 691 comments Morning!

Nadine wrote: "Happy Thursday!

Yes I'm still trying to date things "1/xx/19" how about you? My daughter says she never has this problem."

Oh, I was in a conversation about writing dates the other week. Apparently it's safest to write "2020" in full when you're dating anything, mostly paperwork like cheques and so on. There's a risk that if you just write, for example, 16/1/20, someone could later append numbers on after the 20 and change it to another year (16/1/2019, fr ex), which could be misused in all kinds of ways.

Anyway, books!

Finished 3 books this week, and am currently 3/50 on the Popsugar challenge. (How on Earth have you managed 6 already, Nadine?! 😲)

The House of Impossible Beauties - It's a very good book in its way, but left me feeling disturbed and grimy. There's a lot of graphic, unhappy sex scenes, mostly involving the characters living as sex workers (which literally all of them do at some point in the book) or being otherwise coerced into it, or being outright assaulted... not fun to read. The writing's good, the characters were strong, I was interested to read about a time and place and lifestyle that I didn't know about, but by the end I was glad it was over...
Used for Popsugar Advanced prompt #7, more than 20 letters in title.

Naturally Tan - A light and mostly happy queer book, as antidote to the above. This was nice, not a whole lot to it. Best bit was Tan being all lovey-dovey and adorable about his husband, they sound like the best couple ever.
I was kind of surprised by how much Tan swears, though! I don't mind it, I have a mouth that tends towards the sailor myself, but since in Queer Eye the language is either strictly PG or bleeped-out, it was a bit unexpected.

In the Woods - Very much enjoyed this. So much so, in fact, that I bought and started the sequel immediately. It was twisty and fascinating and well-written and funny. Which you wouldn't expect from a book centred around a murdered kid, but the Irish patter and one-liners are wonderful, especially since it's so close to the Scottish attitude too.
The ending was very slightly disappointing, but it worked for this particular book. Although there is one moment where the narrating character says something along the lines of, "don't hate me too much, [villain] fooled you too, you're just as gullible as I was" - nah mate, I had it pretty sussed that something was dodgy there, don't project onto your readers like that.
Used for Popsugar prompt #35, three-word title.

As an aside, I'm interested in exploring the mystery/crime/thriller genre a bit more. Anyone have recommendations for a total newbie who's only read and enjoyed Tana French?

Currently reading The Likeness and predictably loving it. It's a much different type of mystery from "In the Woods". And I'm glad that Cassie is the narrator for this one, she was my favourite in the last book.
It seems to be frequently compared to The Secret History by Donna Tartt, and I did like The Goldfinch, so I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of that at some point.

Going to temp-DNF Newt's Emerald, it's ended up falling by the wayside.

QOTW:
I don't have exact numbers, but the majority of last year's books were in physical format, probably mostly paperback. I do like my Kindle but read much less on it than I do physically.
Just checked, I read 53 ebooks, so just over a quarter of the total. Most of them were shorter works from the Hugo voter packet.
Seemingly only 19 graphic novels / picture books. Odd, I feel like I read more.
And in terms of age range, I read 14 YA books, 16 MG, and the remainder (172) are either Adult or books which don't fit a particular age category.

Books from my TBR - I actually do the Mount TBR challenge, so I have a shelf for this! I read 86 books that were already on my TBR before 2019. ... Which means 116 books that I bought and read in the same year. 😳

I also skew heavily towards female authors. Maybe I should work towards a bit more parity in 2020?

And right now, I have 534 books on my TBR - 272 in physical copy and 262 on Kindle. My physical TBR generally goes down quicker, but my ebook TBR builds up quicker - I stockpile from daily and monthly deals and don't remember to pick the Kindle up as often!
This year, I think I will try to get my TBR down to under 500 and hopefully keep it that way. I like a big range of choice, but... gotta put your foot down somewhere.

message 18: by Lauren (last edited Jan 17, 2020 11:11AM) (new)

Lauren Oertel | 740 comments We also had a strange heatwave the last few days, getting up into the 80s. It's getting back to 50s-60s now though.

I listened to All This Could Be Yours (recommended by online book club) for ToB and it was entertaining but I didn't totally love it. I was hoping it would go deeper and thought we'd learn more about some characters. 3 stars

I read Oval (great first line, "After death, bureaucracy takes the wheel.") also for ToB. This one was kinda weird. Very blunt about the societal structures they were calling out, which is ok, but the story was probably longer than necessary. 3 stars

I listened to The Woman in the Window (medical thriller) and was able to stay engaged with the story, but I think I'm tired of the unreliable drunk female narrator who everyone gaslights. The first twist was very obvious from the beginning. The second one I didn't guess, but I was expecting it to be tied into her past more directly. 3 stars

I wasn't sure about Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life… Even If You Don’t Want To (title caught my attention) but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I appreciated the way the author reframed various health-related ideas and made some important connections. I expect to continue thinking about the suggestions and incorporating them for a while (hopefully!).

I'm currently listening to When You Read This and reading Overthrow on kindle for ToB.

QOTW: Good questions. Unfortunately there isn't a quick way for me to get all these stats for the 195 books I read in 2019 so I'll be doing estimates here:
- Audiobooks make up 60-70% of my books, which is how I'm able to get through so many.
- Print and kindle books are about the same, 15-20% each.
- I read about 5 YA and 1 MG this year, no graphic novels or comics.
- I get about 75% of what I read from the library.
- I DNF'd about 5 this year I think?
- A lot of my reading is dictated by book clubs, the Texas Book Fest, and the ToB so my TBR percentage is probably only around 30-40%. I'm always wanting to read more of the books already on my shelf, but y'all know how readers struggle with passing up those shiny new books everyone is talking about. ;) The struggle is real, haha!

message 19: by Laura (last edited Jan 16, 2020 06:52AM) (new)

Laura | 153 comments Expecting snow today... maybe as much as 10 inches, but I hope not. I've been enjoying the relatively mild weather we'd been having here in Santa Fe. It's hard for my son (27 years old, non-verbal autism) if we can't get out for a walk every day. We'll do it though! It's "Library Day." At least it's not super cold.

Challenge Progress: 6/50

Completed:
A Double Life: For a thriller, this was really rather dull. The concept of leading double lives was intriguing - nearly every character lives a double life of some type - but the pacing was sluggish and the payoff not at all satisfying. (A book by an author with flora or fauna in their name - Flynn Berry) ★★

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth: Controversial, I'm sure, but Reza Aslan's attempt to determine the history of Jesus of Nazareth as compared to the biblical accounts of Jesus Christ is compelling. I listened to the audio version, and I think I'd like to go back and read a printed version so I can really critically examine the text. ★★★★

The Furies: A girl is found dead, beautiful and perfect, on the swings at an exclusive private girls school... This should have been the opening to a great mystery novel. I was expecting The Craft; I was expecting a taut, intense thriller. I got neither. Very disappointed. There were so many opportunities here that were just squandered. (A book that passes the Bechdel test) ★★

Ill Will: Rambling, nonsensical prose. Often sentences didn't end; they simply trailed off. Yes, I know it was supposed to represent unfinished thoughts (and the fragility of the minds of the central characters), but honestly I thought there was something wrong with the text in my copy of the book! Occasionally I stumbled across an interesting phrase, but it was too mired down in the choppy, unappetizing writing that I just can't recommend this book. (A favorite prompt from a past Popsugar challenge: 2017 - a book published in 2017) ★

Currently Reading:
And I Darken (a book with a map), The Future of Another Timeline (a book with a pink cover), Star of the North, The Gilded Wolves (a book recommended by your favorite blog, vlog, podcast, or online book club), The Corrosion of Conservatism: Why I Left the Right, and The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption

QOTW: Hmmm... there's a lot there that I just don't keep track of, but here's what I know about the 164 books I read last year:

Audiobooks: 28 (17.1%)
Graphic Novels: 6 (3.7%)
Non-Fiction: 34 (20.7%)

Of the fiction I read, probably 1/3 is fantasy, 1/3 romance, and 1/3 historical fiction, but that's just a guess. A lot of it is probably considered YA. I've never tracked genres. In addition to the 164 books I read just for myself, I try to read with my son on a regular basis. It's just picture books, but we read about 4 each week.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jecberry) | 2 comments Wow! You have all read so much more than I have! I just finished my first book of the year (Harry Potter #2 for the prompt about reading #2 in a series). I am close to finishing a second (1.5 hours left in Atomic Habits for the pun in title). But so far, I'm on track AND I'm reading more books/watching less TV. So for me, that's progress!

message 21: by Naina (new)

Naina (naynay55) | 113 comments Hi all!

Finished:
The Dreamers - book with the same title as an unrelated movie (or TV show); 3/5
This writing in this book is magical and really atmospheric, but the pacing and lack of resolution/finality had me wanting. It reminded me of Station Eleven a little, which I loved.

Long Bright River - book with a three-word title; 5/5
I loved this book and finished it in two days despite its length. It's dark, gritty, and provides a view into how opioid/drug addiction impacts a family, particularly two sisters (a cop and a user). This book is being marketed as a thriller, since there's a killer who is targeting women users and prostitutes, but there is so much more to this novel than that mystery. Highly recommend.

That puts me at 6/52.

Currently Reading:
Tampa - book with a pink cover
You all make me laugh -- so many of you looked it up after I said it was disturbing last week, which it absolutely is. I'd be interested in discussing after you read. It's interesting because the main character is a horrible pervert, but she owns it. I still can only take this book in doses.

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance - not sure what category I want to slate this in yet. It could fall into: a bildungsroman; favorite prompt from the past: plant on the cover or in the title (2019); book with at least a four-star rating on Goodreads; book with more than 20 characters in the title. I'm leaning toward bildungsroman or 20 characters in the title, but we'll see when I finish. I'm only 40 or so pages into it, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Good Morning!

It's been pretty mild this week, which is surprising for January in Northern Indiana but (as of right now) we're supposed to be getting snow this weekend and a high of 17 degrees on Sunday. So, it's starting to feel more like Winter.

Finished:

Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love for a book by a trans or nonbinary author. I really liked this. I read Tan's book last year and man was this one harder to get through. Tan's was so light and while JVN's had some of there, there were a lot of parts that were a lot darker. He tries to lighten it with humor because that's who he is, but there are rough parts of this book. He's lead and interesting and messy life, it's nice that he was able to open up about it.

All Systems Red for a book with a robot, cyborg, or AI character. I LOVED this. It was so fun and funny. Murderbot is now my new favorite literary character. I need to read the rest of the series now.

Currently Reading:

All the Light We Cannot See for a book with a character with a vision impairment or enhancement (a nod to 20/20 vision). I'm listening to this one on audio and the different timelines are throwing me off just a bit. I did have to rewind it a this morning while commuting to work, because I was lost. But with that said, it's such an interesting story and an interesting take on a WWII story.

We Ride Upon Sticks for a book you picked because the title caught your attention. I won the ARC of this through Goodreads back in November and am finally getting to it. I'm really early in the book but I like it so far. But seriously...it's got high school lacrosse, teen witches and takes place in the late 80's...it's really up my alley.

QOTW:

Honestly, I am far too lazy to keep track like this. I know I read some YA, no middle grade, I listen to audiobook, read actual books and e-books. I read 60 books last year but really, that's all I keep track of and I know GR keeps track of page numbers, so I know I read over 20,000 pages...but that's it. I'm impressed when other people keep such close track.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 29 comments Hello All! This was a good week of reading/listening for me!

ATY: 7/52
PS: 7/50

Finished:
Neverwhere prompt "book set in a city that hosted the Olympics" This book was rough for me to get through. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, it sparked my interest. But in the middle and the end I was no longer interested, I felt like I was finishing just to finish the book.

The Testaments prompt "book that won an award in 2019" I listened to this book, I usually read a book at night before going to sleep and listen to a book throughout the day while working. So on weekends I tend to read more than listen. Not this weekend! I started the book Thursday afternoon while working. I couldn't stop listening! I had to know what was going to happen! I was a little disappointed in the ending, seemed like it just kind of ended, I had more questions. But I did give it 5 stars because I couldn't "put it down".

The Perks of Being a Wallflower prompt "Read a banned book during banned book week" 4 stars I liked the book but felt like it tried to fit every single issue into one book and most in the first 2 chapters. I wish it would have been revealed who the letters were too.

Where the Line Bleeds prompt "book by WOC" 4 Stars. Jesmyn Ward has a great way with words. Some books I feel are too wordy because the descriptions go on and on but with this book I am transported into the Mississippi bayou, I can feel the boys hair in my fingers when their hair is being braided. The story was ok, the ending and the writing is what made me give the book 4 starts.

The River prompt "set in country that begins with C" (Canada) 3 stars The writing was very descriptive in this book. The premise of the book is two boys take a break from College and travel on a river in Canada. When they are canoeing there is a wildfire in the forest and they also run into a couple of odd people. The story spends a lot of time discussing the supplies they carry, the ways they fish and forage for food. The real story happens in the last chapter of the book.

Currently Reading:
Red Sister prompt "book with great first line" and January Read
Fahrenheit 451 prompt "book with a book on the cover"

QQOW:
Last year I did not do any reading challenges besides the Goodread's challenge. Most books were just books that I heard about or were available when I was looking for a book. I did read 74 books and my goal was 65. I didn't keep track anyplace besides goodreads so I'll have to eyeball my numbers.

71/74 Audiobooks
12/74 YA

This year I'm picking up more print books, usually trying to read at least one print book a week.

message 24: by Nadine in NY (new)

Cendaquenta wrote: "... As an aside, I'm interested in exploring the mystery/crime/thriller genre a bit more. Anyone have recommendations for a total newbie who's only read and enjoyed Tana French? ..."

Hahaha you may be sorry you asked!!! Because YES I have recs! And I bet other members will, too!! I love Tana French. I’ll try to stick to only mysteries that have - in some way - the same “feel.”

Classic mysteries:
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - Itsca classic. I love Chandler, but he’s not for everybody. He’s one of the original hard-boiled authors.
The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith - another classic! When I read this, I asked myself why I had waited so long to read Highsmith! (Strangers on a Train is fantastic, too.). She’s one of the first to include a dark psychological twist to her mysteries. Really they are more like crime novels than mysteries. You know who the murderer is.

Super popular but maybe you haven’t read them yet:
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - I know not everyone loved this, but I did.
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Modern psychological thrillers books:
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson - so good! Filled with dark psychological thrills. Like Highsmith, you know who the murderer is here.

Modern mysteries without a detective main character:
What Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr
The Lost Man by Jane Harper
The Wolf Wants In by Laura McHugh
Conviction by Denise Mina
I Found You by Lisa Jewell

Police Procedurals or Police Detective main character:
The Borrowed by Chan Ho-Kei - Hong Kong police procedural, this starts in present day and moves back in time, each chapter is a short story set in the past.
Dead Woman Walking by Sharon J. Bolton
Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan
The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas

Private detectives:
The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka
The Cuckoo's Calling by “Robert Galbraith” - I love Cormoran Strike
Fear Itself & Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin sort of a medieval forensic mystery
A Bad Day for Sorry by Sophie Littlefield

Romance included:
An Inquiry Into Love and Death by Simone St. James - with ghosts
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

SFF mystery:
The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes - a time traveling serial killer

message 25: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mirandom) | 34 comments I finished two more books since last week, so my current tally is 5/50.

Completed:
Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Daniel Mallory Ortberg for prompt #2 A book by a trans or nonbinary author. This is such a cute book and I recommend it for anyone who wants a quick read.

Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film for prompt #10 A book recommended by your favorite blog, podcast, or online book club. It came highly recommended by the podcast This Had Oscar Buzz and it's a very interesting look at independent film companies in the '80s and '90s. There is a lot written about Harvey Weinstein in this book, but it was published over a decade before the #MeToo movement, but HW still comes off as a bully and a terrible person.

Currently reading
Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators I'm reading the ebook now but it's going to return to the library tomorrow so hopefully one of my other holds on this book comes in so that I can finish it. I also can't decide if this will be prompt #35 Three word title or #38 A book by or about a journalist.

The A.B.C. Murders I realized that Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot books tick off a lot of the prompts for the advanced challenge, so expect to see at least a few more of her books on my list as the year goes on.

QOTW

I knit and crochet a lot, so my stats have gotten increasingly audiobook heavy, since it's a way I can easily read and craft at the same time.

Last year's breakdown:
Audiobooks: 22
Print/ebook: 6
Graphic novels: 12
Fiction: 24
Non-fiction: 16

message 26: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 691 comments Nadine wrote: "Hahaha you may be sorry you asked!!! Because YES I have recs!"

Thank you! I will check those out!

message 27: by Nadine in NY (new)

Cendaquenta wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Hahaha you may be sorry you asked!!! Because YES I have recs!"

Thank you! I will check those out!"

And somehow I forgot Laura Lippman!!! The trinity of reigning psych thriller authors is French, Flynn, and Lippman. (Hawkins too but then I cant say it’s a trinity).

Sunburn by Laura Lippman

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 23 comments What happens when you have four dogs that seem to get along very well, except when the grouchy old Doug gets it into his head the enormous Husky puppy is hurting everyone he plays with?

Answer: Lots, and I mean LOTS of barking. They used to be great friends when the Husky was smaller, but now that he's an enormous monstrous beast (and only 8 months old!) they have gotten into some nasty fights. We usually try to keep them apart when giving them snacks, and try to reassure the old Doug that no harm is being done... but his anxiety is getting worse and worse. Does anyone have any tips that could help?

FINISHED
A Study in Charlotte - 3 stars- Audiobook

A book published the month of your birthday
A book with a pun in the title

I was surprisingly entertained!
My hopes were low for the book, especially after the first few chapters resulted in a whiny, self-deprecating main character (Watson) and an angry, neo-Nazi version of a feminist star player (Sherlock). But once the story got rolling, we got to see better fleshed versions of our characters. I absolutely adore Charlotte Sherlock, her troubled home life, extreme fanaticism, and drug addiction created a character so flawed that you can’t ask “is she a good person?” because she’s absolutely not. But like she said, she TRIES. Watson’s whiny voice became a bit too much at times, but thankfully the actual mystery was riveting.
This is perfectly dark for a YA, there’s murder, drugs, sexual assault, but there’s no descriptions of the actual act being done. We see the body AFTER the murder has taken place, the drug’s effect on the mind but not the needle being plunged, learn about the assault through the emotional upheaval the victims have.

The Shining - 4.5 Stars - Audiobook
A book with at least a four-star rating on Goodreads
I’m a huge coward, so I always read/listen to horror in broad daylight, away from my house. This was no different, so because of that I didn’t have that visceral shiver that comes when watching a horror movie at night all alone, like I can image this book can very much create. Regardless, even as I sat at my work computer at 10 am, surrounded by sunlight and paperwork, there were moments where I was entranced.
King is amazing at writing horror because the actual fear strikes us is incredibly human. The paranormal aspects are atmospheric instead of the actual focus, I’m more afraid the the hotel’s influence than I am of the actual hotel.
I read this in preparation for Dr. Sleep, because the trailer for the movie looked so good. I found, after having read and then watched It for the first time since I caught an accidental glimpse of the movie as a small child, that horror films are less scary if you’ve actually read the book!

CURRENTLY READING
Gods of Jade and Shadow - as usual with physical books, its gonna take a while.
The Shadow of the Wind - was on hold because The Shining was a library hold, but now I can get back to it.

Question of the Week
Now that we've had a chance to get excited about our new year of reading, let's take a step back and look at last year. This week's question is from Theresa:

54 books read/listened, 2 DNF'd (I honestly thought it was more)
1 physical book, ,6 e-books, and 48 audiobooks.
Almost none of last years books are on my phsical TBR. I don't count the goodreads "Want to Read" as an actual TBR, since its mostly just books I was semi-interested in and decided to save.
I read 6 non-fiction books last year! I'm so proud of this, because I read for escapism so non-fiction is usually the last thing I want to read. 58% of my books were still Science Fiction/ Fantasy.
21 adult books vs 19 YA and 9 middle grade. Middle grade does not get enough love, there are some stellar books out there!

message 29: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 353 comments Good Morning all. I finished 3 books for the week & the latest issue of the New Yorker. Finished Very Far Away From Anywhere Else by Ursula K.Le Guin. I had never read her before & always had wanted to. I liked the book. It is very brief 133 pages. I read it in a day. I used it for the advanced prompt book with more than 20 letters in it title. Also used for a Bildungsroman. Finished Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata,translated by Ginny Tapley Takemori for advanced prompt book set in Japan...Last book was The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms for book with a book on the cover.
Currently reading Dumplin’ (Dumplin’ #1) by Julie Murphy.
QOTW: I do not use a spreadsheet but I do track the books read. I got bogged down looking at the 90 titles I read in 2019 & trying remember if they were library holds or already on my queue. So here is the skinny on my 2019 reading. I read only ebooks. That being said I read 1 print book that was for my bookclub that I couldn’t find as an ebook. I haven’t gotten into audiobooks, so 0 audiobooks. 2 graphic novels. Many picture books not included in my count. I have grandchildren. 1 middle grade book & I know I read YA but not sure how many.

I did read from my queue but increased my library usage. ThIs Year I am trying to stretch my Amazon money so I have maxed out my Overdrive holds. Those holds take forever to come in.

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1154 comments ☆*:.。. DANIELA .。.:*☆ wrote: "What happens when you have four dogs that seem to get along very well, except when the grouchy old Doug gets it into his head the enormous Husky puppy is hurting everyone he plays with?..."

We have an anxious dog and it's really hard because reassuring them can just confirm their suspicions that something is wrong. Does Doug have a safe space that he can take himself to? Or can you make him a little den with his blanket and toys that the husky can't reach?

I think separating them when the husky is being boisterous is correct. But they should learn to be calm together so reward them when they do that, like any time you see them being good together (you can reward with voice as well as treats).

message 31: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 154 comments Jen wrote: "2020 kinda sucks so far. 2 family deaths in 2 weeks plus a day and a half sitting in hospital with a friend acting as next of kin because she reacts badly to anaesthetic and had to have someone to ..."
Dear Jen,
sorry to hear that. Heartfelt condolences!

message 32: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments Good morning, all! I have been remiss in my check-ins so far this year but I think it's mostly due to a reading lull I've been in. I couldn't quite decide what I wanted to start the year reading so I just didn't read anything for the first week. Then I tried a book recommended on the Facebook page Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory for a book I know nothing about but I had to DNF it. I could not stand the author's voice and barely made it a few pages in.

I did finally finish one book (also a rec from the Facebook group): Archaeology from Space: How the Future Shapes Our Past. I read this for a book by or about a woman in STEM. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I almost used it for a book I know nothing about because I've never heard of space archaeology before. But you'd have to really like history and science for this to be super interesting.

I have two books in progress now and feel like I'm on a better track to tackle this challenge. 1/50

QOTW:
I don't really keep track of these kind of stats. I did listen to 10 audiobooks out of 60 total books. The rest were mostly ebooks with a few physical books. I didn't count any children's books in my totals but I read a lot of YA.

message 33: by Ashley Marie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:25AM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 369 comments Happy Thursday!

I've finished four books this week and happily, three of them count for the PS challenge! Still plugging along with my Lord of the Rings reread; hopefully I'll finish Fellowship here shortly.

The Seafarer's Kiss - a Little Mermaid retelling with a bisexual main character and a Norse mythology twist. 4 stars, excellent.

Rereads of The Visitor and The Encounter for my Great Animorphs Reread. I love this series so much, and it's big enough that they count for two of the Advanced prompts!

Crucible of Gold - book seven in the Temeraire series. I really appreciate the way Novik weaves alternate history across the globe and shows it to us, rather than sticking solely to Britain and France. We've gotten to see China, Australia, and the Incan Empire too!
(A book with 'gold' 'silver' or 'bronze' in the title)

Challenges:
PS - 6/50
GR - 8/100

Question--

I calculate several of these, and a few more options, so let's see what I've got:
105 total reads in 2019
18 DNFs
5 rereads
51 owned books
37% audiobooks
45% female authors
18% POC authors

message 34: by Miriam (last edited Jan 16, 2020 10:00AM) (new)

Miriam | 154 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Morning!

As an aside, I'm interested in exploring the mystery/crime/thriller genre a bit more. Anyone have recommendations for a total newbie who's only read and enjoyed Tana French?"

I really like all the Scandinavian authors of crime literature, especially (but not exclusively) the female authors: Camilla Läckberg Helene Tursten Viveca Sten, Yrsa Sigurðardóttir Liza Marklund; also Arne Dahl or Michael Hjorth and others.
Some of it is Nordic Noir, others I would say are less noir. Since all of them wrote series, they focus partly on the crime and the solving of it, but also on the characters and their development and most often also make good use of the setting and atmosphere

message 35: by Alex (new)

Alex of Yoe (alexandraofyoe) | 135 comments I feel you on the weather thing. Totally the case here too in southern PA, and it's driving me nuts.

Finished 0.58/50

For "a book from a series with more than 20 books":
-Tsubasa Omnibus 4
-Tsubasa Omnibus 5
-Tsubasa Omnibus 6
-Tsubasa Omnibus 7
-Tsubasa Omnibus 8
-Tsubasa Omnibus 9

Each of these are 3 volumes/ "books" long, so I'm well over the 20 book thing. I couldn't just read one. This series is too good!

For "a book set in a city that hosted the Olympics" (Tokyo):
-xxxHOLiC Omnibus 3
-xxxHOLiC Omnibus 4
-xxxHOLiC Omnibus 5

Currently Reading

Tsubasa Omnibus 10 (again, for a "book from a series with 20 books"). Just this one and the 3 sequel volumes and I'm done! It's totally happening this week.

xxxHOLiC Omnibus 6 (again, for " book set in a city that hosted the Olympics). Just 6 more to go. This is also going to get finished this week!

The Wilderness Journal: 365 Days with the Philokalia (for "a book whose title caught my attention"). Oh yeah. Still trekkin'.

QOTW

Oh goodness. Ok. I read a total of 62 books (some in more than 1 category).

Religious: 17
Fantasy:17
Comic book/manga:3
YA: 10
Autobiography: 3
Sci-Fi: 2
Commentary: 1
Classic: 5
Poetry: 2
Health: 1
Fiction: 10
Mental Health: 2
Historical Fiction: 4
Romance: 1
Mystery:3

TBR: 12
Ancient Faith Book Club: 4
Book Challenge: 56/ 65 (I failed that one)

message 36: by Nadine in NY (new)

☆*:.。. DANIELA .。.:*☆ wrote: "What happens when you have four dogs that seem to get along very well, except when the grouchy old Doug gets it into his head the enormous Husky puppy is hurting everyone he plays with?

Answer: Lo..."

That’s a tough one. I’ve never had more than two dogs at a time, so I do t have any personal experience, just what I’ve heard from others. I know that sometimes dogs just don’t get along, and you have to keep them separated.

And dog hierarchy is important. If Doug is the alpha, you need to reinforce that. So, instead of correcting him for barking, correct the puppy. Maybe Doug is just putting puppy in his place, because it needs doing. Feed Doug first, greet Doug first, pet Doug first, make sure Doug has the “prime” seating (however the dogs define that - there’s always that preferred spot for them to sit in), etc. But you probably know all this already!!

message 37: by Marenda (new)

Marenda Jordan | 9 comments Alex wrote: "I feel you on the weather thing. Totally the case here too in southern PA, and it's driving me nuts.

Finished 0.58/50

For "a book from a series with more than 20 books":
-[book:Tsubasa Omnibus 4..."

WOW!!!

message 38: by Drakeryn (new)

Drakeryn | 695 comments Happy Thursday, all.

Finished reading: (4/50)

Radiance (author with fauna in her name (Catherynne Valente), author with over 20 books) - After a slow beginning, this picked way up and I ended up liking it a lot. Recommended if you like sci-fi horror and playing with genre conventions and cool authorial stunts. Just be aware it's in a mixed-media format, so it's a bit like a jigsaw puzzle; you get handed the first few pieces and go "hey none of these fit with each other" but be patient, they all eventually fit somewhere.

The Black Tides of Heaven (enby author, has a map, attention-catching title, more than 20 letters in title) - Mixed feelings here. I liked the Chinese fantasy setting, and the political setup (machinists vs. the empire, hell yeah), and the different paths the twins took: one aiding the rebels from the outside, one trying to reform the empire from the inside. But frequent timeskips made the book feel disjointed, and overall it was just too short to convey the emotional heft it was aiming for.

Currently reading:

Baldr Sky - Technically a video game, not a book, but the game text is novel-length so I feel like chatting about it here. It's a cyberpunk dystopia where the main characters are mercenaries. AI is a big theme: one of the protag's high school friends was an AI, and the main political/social conflict is between pro-AI and anti-AI factions.

Currently on Rain's route (Rain = the protag's mercenary partner) which is so romance-tropey but in an adorable way:
- They get a hotel room and there's just one bed, so they have to share it (very sensible and pragmatic) (this happens multiple times)
- Then they're infiltrating an illegal brothel and security is coming their way, so to blend in & avoid notice, they partially undress and start making out (again, sensible and pragmatic)
- Then they become fugitives and flee to an upper-class gated community, posing as an engaged couple. Security cameras are everywhere, so they have to maintain their cover by acting like a couple in love and have an all-day date (the height of pragmatism)

QotW: ooh I love this QotW, I love stats. I don't usually keep track of this kind of stuff but let's see:

- 51 books read in 2019
- 3 children's (6%), 20 YA (40%), 3 NA (6%), 25 adult (49%)
- 15 boy authors (29%), 35 girl authors (69%), 1 mixed/compilation (2%)
- 44 owned ebooks (86%) (including 5 kindle giveaways/freebies), 1 owned hardcopy (2%), 3 library ebooks (6%), 2 library hardcopies (4%), 1 read online (2%)

Genre breakdown:
- 31 fantasy (60%) (9 high fantasy, 18 low fantasy, 4 portal fantasy)
- 9 sci-fi (18%)
- 9 contemporary (18%)
- 2 alternative history (4%)

It was a great year for sci-fi. It probably doesn't look that way from the raw numbers, but 4 of my top 10 were sci-fi.

(also thanks for this QotW because it made me realize I left The Graveyard Book off my master file haha)

message 39: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 154 comments Hello everybody from Germany!

I finished a few books this week:

Sulwe which is a lovely picture book about accepting and loving yourself, especially if you feel you are different from others.
Weltretten für Anfänger (loosely translated: Saving the world for Beginners) which I really liked, since it is entertaining and motivated me to change even more habits towards the more climate-friendly and think about the topic even more.
Diese ganze Scheiße mit der Zeit which deals with the thoughts of a German TV-talkshow-host (whom I quite like) upon hearing that he has cancer. His reflections on life and time were interesting and also uplifting.

Currently reading:
Stalker
Scuola di Barbiana. Die Schülerschule. Brief an eine Lehrerin.

QOTW:
I don't have the stats, but I think the majority of my reads were physical books, many from the library, some new, few from my already owned TBR. I also read quite a few E-books and listened to about 10-15 audiobooks.
This year, my focus is already owned (whether physical books or E-books. So far it has worked quite well to focus on already owned.

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie McKay (mgmcgee) | 41 comments I haven't finished any books for the 2020 challenge yet, but I've got a couple in progress and hope to make some headway this weekend, especially if the weather they predict comes in tonight and we are out of school tomorrow.
Currently reading:
The Ox-Bow Incident (western). I'm also working on a unit plan to read this book with my English students, so that will be fun.
The Secret Life of Bees (bildungsroman I think). I'm about halfway through and need to just whip through it but keep getting distracted by work and life.

QOTW:
In 2019, I know I read 29 books plus a handful of kiddo books (reading to my baby is fun!)
? DNFed - honestly, I DNF'd a lot of books last year. A couple of them are still in my plans because I ran out of time.
0 audiobooks
0 graphic novels
1 middle grade - If you count Mary Poppins.
at least 4 YA - I check out most of my books from our high school library but only see 4 on my PS list that are definitely YA.
15 ebooks - I read a lot on my Kindle and sometimes on my phone using the Kindle app. I downloaded a handful more books today so I can try to knock out some of the "tougher" prompts like book on the cover, 4-star rating on Goodreads, published in 2020, only words on the cover, and published in August.

message 41: by Drakeryn (new)

Drakeryn | 695 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Apparently it's safest to write "2020" in full when you're dating anything, mostly paperwork like cheques and so on. There's a risk that if you just write, for example, 16/1/20, someone could later append numbers on after the 20 and change it to another year (16/1/2019, fr ex), which could be misused in all kinds of ways."

Thanks for the heads-up, I wouldn't have thought of that but it seems quite sensible.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 23 comments Nadine wrote: If they are alone, they don't fight. Neither of them fight over kibble, which is the only food that they have access to during the day. But yes, Doug is a extremely anxious, always has been. He hates car rides, no matter if you hold him during it or you put down the window, he's always been a barker as well. We've tried to reassure him, there's petting and holding going on when he gets anxious, but I think it's also plain old grouchiness making it worse.

Ellie wrote His prime place of sitting is on the couch, since the dogs aren't usually allowed there but he's pretty good about just sitting down and not digging into the couch. It's a bit hard to pet him first, since he's so small and the huge puppy wants attention immediately, but you are right about hierarchy. We tried to establish that when the puppy was younger, and it seemed to go pretty well at first. The problem arose when they fought for food one day, because the Doug (a Dachshund and Pug mix) is extremely zealous over food (rawhide has been banned in our house for years now), something we've worked for years to minimize fights around. Since the Husky is a growing boy, he eats ALLOT, and Doug feels like he doesn't get enough food (Which he does. He's a semi-chunky boy because controlling his appetite is hard) because the other one is eating it all up. It went from a nasty fight for food to him arguing like an old man over everything. Thankfully fights are minimal, we've only had one nasty fight and the rest have been within out presence and we've always managed to separate them. We make sure that, at snack time, Doug gets his before Husky, that if Doug starts barking someone is there to grab Doug so that he doesn't start attacking Husky, etc. Funny enough, they seem alright when they are alone, it's when the Husky starts to play that Doug gets anxious now.

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3351 comments Mod
Stacey wrote: "Happy Thursday Everyone!

I've decided that this year I am approaching my reading challenges a little differently. In the past, I've always planned all my challenge books in advance & completely av..."

So very interesting to hear your thoughts regarding Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist. I really want to read this book. I am one of the U.S. voting citizenry who is extremely discouraged at the outcome of the 2016 election. I am so very hopeful we will turn this trend around in 2020. I'm glad to hear it was informative to someone outside the U.S. and helped develop your understanding a bit more.

Anxious to hear what you think of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine!

message 44: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 19, 2020 06:07PM) (new)

Cheryl (teddi1961) Well, I can agree with the weather being wonky! Here in west central Texas the lows was 26F and high as 80F one day last week. I have, finally, finished a book! Seems like I just couldn't get myself into the reading mode.

The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1) The Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I could relate to what goes through a person's mind when a parent has and dies of cancer. It was unfortunate the girls had to go through the part of watching a parent die but fortunate for them to have found each other to lean on during this horrible time of a young person's life.
The book was put together very nicely and did not dwell on the negative but did show the reality that happens when a person is grieving.
Melissa Storm is an outstanding Christian writer and I definitely recommend this book!

View all my reviews
I chose the advanced prompt of A Book With A Main Character in their 20s.

I am presently reading Staging Wars by Grace Topping

QOTW
I was not in any reading challenges last year. I had an annual goal of 200 books read; however, several health issues (eye issues, allergies, more body pain than normal) so I only managed 47 books (15,245 pages), 100% eBooks with about 85% Cozy genre and 15% Romance genre.

I have my personal goal as 250 books and I expect to read outside my favorite genre (Cozy Mystery) for about 1/3 of total.

message 45: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Hello all! I'm at 11/50! I finished 7 books this week:

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - 3 word title
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two - a bildungsroman
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa- Set in Japan
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware- Main character in their 20's
The Capture by Kathryn Lasky- Bird on the cover
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway- Written by author in their 20's
A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer- Published the month of my birthday (January)

QOTW:
In 2019, I read a total of 171 books (not including children's picture books)

Audio books: 36
Graphic Novels: 51
From my "Read with kid" shelf (mostly middle grade): 26, and some of these are also included in audio books.

I don't have shelves by genre or anything and I don't feel like digging through my list to see which ones were previously on my TBR...

message 46: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 18 comments Happy Thursday!

The weather lately hasn't been too bad in my part of Michigan compared to other years but its the perfect weather for reading since I don't want to go outside! I finished one book this week and started two others!

What I finished:
A book you meant to read in 2019
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

I got around to watching the Netflix show last year and it was probably my favorite show of the year so of course I had to pick up the book and see where they drew inspiration from. I didn't really know what to expect when I picked it up because I had heard that the story was different from the show. And while that was the case, I ended up really enjoying it!

What I started:
A book with a made up language
Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski

Again, another book that has a Netflix show, I haven't played the games or watched the show, yet but I thought this would be an interesting read. It's not the best fantasy I've ever read but it's fun and it reads fairly quickly. I have this as an ebook through my library and I'm about 90% of the way through this one so I should be done with it within the next few days.

A book with at least a four star rating on Goodreads
American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee

I was in the mood for a nonfiction so I was scrolling through the audiobooks that my library offers and I came across this one. I'm only about an hour into it but it's very enlightening. This nonfiction in particular seems very narrative driven and it follows the wolves of Yellowstone. I have always loved wolves so hearing some of the stories about them and their hardships as a species tugs at my heartstrings. I'm very excited to continue this and learn more.

Challenge Progress:
Regular: 3/40
Advanced: 0/10

Question of the Week:

I read a pretty even amount of print and ebook. Last year, I read 37 print, 38 digital, and 14 audiobooks. It's interesting for me to see those numbers cause I always feel like I'm more inclined to pick up an ebook because I can just read them on my phone and I don't have to worry about toting around a physical copy. I'm mainly a library reader so my TBR is whatever holds that I put on at the library. My TBR pile that I own is mostly Book of the Month books and I'm going to try to read more of those ones this year so I'm not so far behind on them.

message 47: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookstasamm) | 172 comments Happy Thursday! This past weekend, I had the opportunity to go to my first book signing and got to meet Brigid Kemmerer who was discussing and signing her new book, A Heart So Fierce and Broken. Jodi Picoult was there asking her questions so I got to meet both of them. It was really cool!

Finished:
A Curse So Dark and Lonely - fantasy is not really my genre, but I loved this book. It's a fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast so what's not to love! I used it for prompt #9 - a book with a map. I'm so excited to start the next one. 5 stars

One of Us Is Next - I loved One of Us is Lying when I read it last year so was really excited for this book to come out. I was hoping it would be the same characters, and although they were in the book they weren't the main focus. I still enjoyed it though and didn't see the big twist at the end coming at all! I used this for prompt #15 - a book about or involving social media.
4 stars.

Challenge Progress:
Regular Challenge - 5/40
Advanced Challenge - 0/10

Currently Reading:
The Paris Wife - I'm doing a read along in a FB group I'm in for this book. I've never done a read along before, and it's killing me to not read ahead. I might just have to do that though!

The Other People - I have an ARC of this book. It's very good so far. I can't figure it out at all!

Size 12 Is Not Fat - I just started listening to this book. I'm not loving the narrator so not sure I'll keep reading it.

QOTW - How does your reading for the year breakdown in book format? How many audiobooks, print books, ebooks, graphic novels, children’s picture books, middle grade, and/or YA books? How many books did you read from your TBR - whether a list on GR or just piles at home or holds at library.

I read 121 books last year. 35 physical books, 38 ebooks, and 48 audiobooks. I read 2 graphic novels, one children's chapter book, and 24 YA books. My most read genre was mystery/thriller and my least read genre was true crime.

I gave the following stars:
24 5-stars
55 4-stars
33 3-stars
8 2-stars
1 1-star

I did not DNF any books.

message 48: by Britta (new)

Britta | 91 comments Hello, all!
This week I finished
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James which I might put in for no. 40, favourite from past challenge and
Two Rivers by Zoe Saadia which could fill the "book with a map" prompt.
But I am not yet sure if I will count them for this challenge.

I am stll working through
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon and
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
and picked up Nacht der Hexen by Kelley Armstrong again. Hopefully this will be the year I FINALLY finish it!

QotW:
I only break my reading down into physical and digital format and try to "read my shelf" or get library books.
Last year I read 104 books total, 4 library books, 11 actual books I owned and 89 digital books.
Since I always do my own private scifi/fantasy A-Z I guess there was a fair number of YA in there. As for middle grade? I have no clue what age bracket that would cover... :-)

message 49: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 293 comments Hello from Columbus! I hit my halfway mark in my nail tech program this week, it’s crazy to think I’m close to being done! I’ve already secured a job at my friend’s salon so I’m excited to get back to the working world.

In Other Lands this was my eyes closed prompt, but instead of being a weirdo at Barnes and Noble, I closed my eyes scrolled around a bunch, and touched the screen to pick a book off my TBR shelf. I can’t remember why or how this book ended up on my TBR but I’m glad it did, this book was delightful and really funny. Like I actually laughed out loud a lot and I almost never react to a book enough to go beyond a slight change in my facial expression. This is like, a fantasy comedy. The characters are funny and snarky, there’s a lot of satirical content that was lighthearted enough for it to be really charming.

Kraken for the set in a city that hosted the Olympics prompt. It felt kind of like cheating to pick a book set in London, because honestly where’s the challenge in that. But I liked this book. Magic, conspiracy, cults, murder, oh boy! I feel like this is a book I’ll end up rereading to get a better grasp on what happened. Because there’s A LOT happening in this book.

The Strangers for a book with an upside down image. This is exactly the kind of cover that draws me in, and it takes place in Ohio! I love finding books set in my state. This is most definitely middle grade/YA material but was still enjoyable to read. It kind of sets you up so that you have to read the next book in the series so I’m probably gonna do that when it comes out.

The Night Country for a book published in 2020. This just came out and I was excited to read it, huzzah! This is the sequel to The Hazel Wood. I didn’t love this as much as I loved the first, but it was still interesting and I enjoyed reading it. I am under the impression that the author will be releasing the dark fairy tales her books are based on, and *that* is what I’m super excited to eventually read.

That’s all for this week, I’m at 10 books this year. 8/40; 0/10 for popsugar and 2/24 for book riot.

QOTW: I don’t really keep track of genres, but most of my books are audiobook format simply because I rarely have time to sit and only focus on a book. I’m always driving, cooking, cleaning, and I listen when I don’t have a client at the salon. By the end of the day, I want to play a few mobile games while listening to a book to unwind. I really like being able to do something with my hands to help me focus on the book.

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam | 37 comments This week I finished River of Teeth. It has had mixed reviews. I really enjoyed it. I am currently reading Verityand I am enjoying that as well. So far this year I am on track with my reading. This excites me. In addition, the books that I have read so far have been great books.

QOFTHW:
The vast majority of books I read are ebooks. I have not ventured into audio books yet. I do love physical books, but ebooks are handy because it is easier to carry multiple books with you at once.

Last year I did not read any graphic novels, children’s picture books or middle grade books. Last year I read 40 books. 20% Were YA and 80%were adult books. Within in that 25% were non-fiction and 75% fiction. My two biggest generes were science fiction/ fantasy and historical fiction both coming in at 20%. The remaining 60% was distributed among numerous other genres.

I am not sure how many books I read from my TBR because I do not keep track. I am always reading books from my TBR, but I am also always adding books as well.

« previous 1 3 4