Netherlands & Flanders group discussion

General > Dutch novel with the same feel as The Evenings

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Gordon | 5 comments Hello, fellow readers! First time poster here!

I fell under the spell of Dutch literature after reading the masterful The Evenings by Gerard Reve, and have since started to explore more Dutch novels by the likes of Willem Frederik Hermans and Margriet de Moor, whose novels I very much enjoyed.

However, I don't know how to proceed from here and I'm looking for recommendations for Dutch novels with a similar feel as The Evenings (which is next to impossible I know because it's such a perfect novel), but I thought I might as well ask you guys.

Any tip on how to proceed from here as I delve deeper into the heart of Dutch literature would be most welcome really!

Looking forward to reading your recommendations.

Thanks!

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Van Eenoo | 5 comments An author that comes to my mind is Tom Lanoye. Quite different, but equally enjoyable is novels by Harry Mulisch.

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Gordon | 5 comments Thanks! I'll make sure to check both out.

I forgot to mention that the novels have to available in translation in either English or French. Preferably as ebooks too since my options are limited where I live. Many thanks.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johanna_paulina) Are you reading in English? The authors you mentioned are all "old" generation. For the newer one, there is Aaron Grunberg, Ilja Pfeijffer, etc.

message 5: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Gordon | 5 comments Johanna wrote: "Are you reading in English? The authors you mentioned are all "old" generation. For the newer one, there is Aaron Grunberg, Ilja Pfeijffer, etc."
Either English or French would be okay.

I'm definitely open to more contemporary authors. Thanks for your recommendations! :)

message 6: by BookLovingLady (last edited Jan 16, 2020 10:56AM) (new)

BookLovingLady | 3022 comments Mod
I haven't read The Evenings (and don't intend to), so I can't help you there, I'm afraid. Sorry...

You did mention Willem Frederik Hermans and Margriet de Moor; I do have books by these authors.

Also translated is In Lucia's Eyes but I have no idea if that's what you're looking for.

message 7: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Gordon | 5 comments In Lucia's Eyes sounds like something I might enjoy. Thanks a lot!

If you don't mind my asking, why not read The Evenings? :)

message 8: by BookLovingLady (last edited Jan 17, 2020 12:04AM) (new)

message 9: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Gordon | 5 comments oh my! Thank you so much for these! Shame about Gerard Reve, not that I have read anything else by him. As far as I know none of his other works have been translated, right?

I did find the list and thanks to everyone's recommendations, I think I have my to-read list sorted.

I'll start with Mulisch, Lanoye and Grunberg, then slowly make my way through the rest.

Thanks everyone!