Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
This topic is about A Memory Called Empire
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > A Memory Called Empire / Overall Discussion ***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 410 comments I’m just over half way through listening to the audio version (not my usual format) of this on my way to work and I’m really enjoying it so far. I honestly thought this would drag after the first few chapters of words I had no idea what they meant, poetical stanzas, and political intrigue (which isn’t something that usually interests at all me), but I think the narrator has really helped bring it to life.

Just wondered if anyone else played that game Mahit did when she was younger, and came up with a Teixcalaanli name for themselves? I think I'd be a Twenty-two Test-tube. :)

message 2: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1891 comments I found it really dragged at the beginning. It didn’t really grip me until I was about 55% through. I liked the dynamic between the three main characters and the complicated political scene that they had to navigate through.
I didn’t play the naming game because I’m still not quite sure how they arrive at their names.
My main thought from the book was would I like a chip in my head and who would I like to have in there? I’ve decided that I wouldn’t like it. It’s bad enough having conversations with myself mentally. I don’t think there is room for anyone else

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 410 comments I don't think I'd like it either, although all that previously learned knowledge and skill might come in handy. Not sure about eating the ashes of the dead either.

Overall I enjoyed the story, although I didn't really connect with any of the main characters. The way the poetical empire and its people functioned, and the stationers' fears of cultural assimilation, made for an interesting backdrop for a very hectic week for Mahit.

I also liked the ending not being too 'sweet' and neat, as I feared it would be, it fit the story much better that way I think.

message 4: by Hayley (last edited Jan 28, 2020 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hayley | 417 comments I listened to the audiobook too and it took me quite a while to get into it. It really drops you in to the deep end with all the unfamiliar terms and names for things. Plus I wasn't that keen on the narrator. I found her a bit emotionless at times but she grew on me as I listened and I found she fit the character of three-seagrass perfectly.

As for the story there were times I enjoyed it and times I zoned out a bit. I think for me it could have done with a bit more action and a bit less politics. I did think the culture of Teixcalaan was done really well though. It felt really different with all the little details. Things like they smiled differently, the language was alot different and with them not showing emotions etc. I would liked to have known more about the wider universe though.

I liked three-seagrass as a character and her relationship with twelve-Azalea but found Mahit to be a bit forgetful and as the MC I'd expect her to stand out more in my mind.

I think I'll probably listen to the 2nd book, it sounds like it could be interesting with the looming alien threat but I'm not jumping at the bit to get to it.

message 5: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 2943 comments Mod
Liked, didn't love. The naming conventions were a bit weird. Six Helicopter? Really?

I liked the word building, and the Imago devices were clever.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Like some I liked it but didn't love it.
I thought the names in this book were original but really hard to remember for me. They just didn't stick with me for some reason.

I think the authors humor at the name containing "all terrain vehicle" fell a bit short.

Agree Wayland the imago devices were clever as was the emperor wanting one and why. I found it interesting that the imago individual could reform the facial expressions of the host - different smile etc.

One thing that confused me and maybe someone can answer...why did the implanted guy - I listened so I don't know the spelling - vanish into a non-entity in Mahit's brain when he saw his dead body. That made no sense to me. Maybe they explained and I missed it...

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 410 comments Mahit's imago was sabotaged (with an unnoticeable scratch) by the minister for heritage on l'sel, I think because they didn't want the empire consuming their culture, and stealing their tech? The scratch then short-circuited with the overload of emotion when Mahit/Esconder saw him dead.

I could be completely wrong though, it was hard to follow in some places. (apologys for spelling, I too listened)